Airfix Grumman Duck 1/72, Alaska, USAF, 1948

Dear All,

Thanks again for the kind and supportive words. I really appreciate them.

Have read you used the Alclad aqua gloss.Bought some time ago their laquer gloss and found it very sensitive and the smell awful.

I would really appreciate to hear about your experiences with the aqua gloss. Is it similar to Future? Also think there is one especially for their metalizers?

Mario, Aqua Gloss is water based and doesn't have a strong smell. In fact, I just checked the smell yesterday, in order to answer your question, because I always wear a respirator mask and switch on my paint booth with air extraction when I paint and had no idea about the smell...

Aqua Gloss is recommended for the high-shine Alclad colours (e.g.: Airframe Aluminium) but can also be used with regular shine colours and non-Alclad paints to give a gloss finish. It is also superb for protecting transparent parts. I always give them an Aqua Gloss bath and their transparency becomes stunning.

I've never used Future or similar products, so I can't compare. I also have the Gloss Kote from Alclad but haven't used it yet. I believe this is not as good as Aqua Gloss for preserving the high shine finish, but should be ok with regular shine colors.

Please feel free to ask additional questions.

Cheers,

Jaime

• Like 1

Dear All,

Thanks again for the kind and supportive words. I really appreciate them.

Mario, Aqua Gloss is water based and doesn't have a strong smell. In fact, I just checked the smell yesterday, in order to answer your question, because I always wear a respirator mask and switch on my paint booth with air extraction when I paint and had no idea about the smell...

Aqua Gloss is recommended for the high-shine Alclad colours (e.g.: Airframe Aluminium) but can also be used with regular shine colours and non-Alclad paints to give a gloss finish. It is also superb for protecting transparent parts. I always give them an Aqua Gloss bath and their transparency becomes stunning.

I've never used Future or similar products, so I can't compare. I also have the Gloss Kote from Alclad but haven't used it yet. I believe this is not as good as Aqua Gloss for preserving the high shine finish, but should be ok with regular shine colors.

Please feel free to ask additional questions.

Cheers,

Jaime

Thank you Jaime for your kind reply!

Obviously Aqua Gloss works very good as you achieved these nice results with it.

Have tried a lot of clear coates over the years and was never completely satisfied with a product. Some tended to yellowing, some had strong tendency to collect dust particles and others chipped-off quite easily. Currently I´m using a German floor finish, similar to Future and/or Tamiya acrylics. I´m quite happy with that, but if someone suggest something better, maybe give it a try.

Hope the clear cote debate didn´t distract from your beautiful built. Never cared too much about the Grumman Duck in the past, but now I think will get one should I see the kit somewhere!

Cheers,

Mario

Have tried a lot of clear coates over the years and was never completely satisfied with a product. Some tended to yellowing, some had strong tendency to collect dust particles and others chipped-off quite easily. Currently I´m using a German floor finish, similar to Future and/or Tamiya acrylics. I´m quite happy with that, but if someone suggest something better, maybe give it a try.

Hope the clear cote debate didn´t distract from your beautiful built.

No problem, Mario. I'm always happy to share my experiences.

I've just used Aqua Gloss for Alclad-painted models and was happy with the results.

For Gunze/Tamiya acrylics-painted models I use Microscale Micro Gloss before applying decals and also after, for protection from the weathering process. After weathering, most of my models get a flat finish. I've been using Microscale Micro Flat for that, but I found that it can be a bit hit-or-miss... Now I always give it a good shake before application. It seems that flat varnishes use some kind of flat "pigment" suspended on a gloss varnish and in some conditions (cold weather, long periods without being used) the "pigment" gets to the bottom of the container and you get just the gloss varnish on top if you don't shake it.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Fantastic looking aircraft and an excellent build :coolio: I am amazed by how modelers are able to produce a model from an old mould that looks as good as a "modern" kit. The old kits I've built look like they were assembled back in the 70's lol I'm kinda in agreement with you about the flat varnish as my last application did indeed come out gloss :( I'll try mixing the solution better next time and hopefully it turns out more flat than gloss.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Jaime:

Without a doubt you are very wellinspired to get nice and wonderful builds, in this case,from this old girl.

I have seen this one at the Hobby shop since a long time, and looking yours, maybe in the next trip ther will have a closer look at the box and buy this old friend. The job is wonderful and the version is stunning!!!

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Luis. The plane has a beautifull scheme but the kit is very challenging due to poor fit. But it can be dealt with with care and patience. By all means, have a go at one!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Excellent model Jaime. You've done a superb job on what is a very old kit. Well done, it's a first class job you've achieved. Joe

• Like 1

Thanks, Joe. Coming from you, after seeing your work, your appreciation is really meaningful for me.

Thanks again

Jaime

• Like 1