Airfix Grumman Duck 1/72, Alaska, USAF, 1948

Dear Fellow Modellers,

Feeling really encouraged by the reception to my first two RFI posts, here is my third :D

This time I'm presenting the Airfix Grumman OA-12 Duck 1/72, in the colours of the 10th Rescue Squadron, USAF, Elmendorf, Alaska, 1948.

I started this model in parallel with the Hurricane (posted here) and Spitfire (posted here), in early August 2014. However, just after finishing the cockpit and closing the fuselage, I left it untouched for 2 and a half months, while finishing the other two. I only managed to finish it by the end of January 2015.

This kit is a very old mold (1968, according to Scalemates). As such, it was a nightmare to build, since nothing seemed to fit or align properly... Seams were very hard to treat and the general fit of parts was poor.

On the other hand, the cockpit detail is bare and the surfaces have raised panel lines and gigantic bolts. I didn't try to solve these detail/surface problems because my objectives for this buid were:

• gain experience with Alcald paints
  • build my first biplane with full rigging

So, here are the pictures:

y4m5vGPUjLWIngPEejWKeb2Hfjqk-tMarhtsRbB5

y4m62fhi90vcHjXiqTHAC1IiAosYfWh-JEF7xp8m

y4mXiI37v8eygju2WEizZB2_GALRxkmhFiQOHdpr

y4mD42TkV3Q1mhVbvCpLr-eNryG4Ge8anwUxrDsS

y4mEX3ZIsnPp43Vy8MT-sOObaliX3d6LW3sRlQi8

y4mSKbZz_6mjARFpfzRcIorGfN5jfDBR0FPTMkYo

y4mZIeawctx9V-lCEeHg0qc-DzHJ41DE_gBSqVNL

y4mE_4lXfJlDHAfDiaHLNPrFAsdHTu41fkSXMTLz

y4m32HvW8n14a9kgU_5mQwE76kh5M4U7PsAi2KWM

Details of the rigging are shown in the following photos:

y4mFFkpnt4vH5KFekQJ3QhBwWtdiH-4xtTuIeTzg

y4mdda3SfENyUDzSOG7t3mP8I41GUbkTgHzxyTWQ

y4mJxQsAZqQ1SxSi9ADOiLY62LC0KaKId1Vcwdi7

y4m3-JpAanT2A7G_l2LHl-41D1JDzlqZ-OKharXC

To conclude, a few words about the techniques:

• Primed with Alclad II Gray Primer and Microfiller
  • Metallic paints are all Alclad II (regular shine):
    • Fuselage: Alluminium
    • Wings: White alluminium
    • Struts and landing gear: Duralluminium
    • Engine and exhausts: Gunmetal
    • Engine couling: Semi-Matte Alluminium
    • Hook: Steel
  • Red, Blue, Yellow and Interior Green are Gunze Acrylics, Flat Black is Tamyia Acrylic
  • Weathering: dry-brushing with silver on the engine, nothing else
  • Top wing with struts was glued to the bottom wing after finishing painting
  • Decals applied according to the usual method (Micro set/Micro Sol). Went on beautifully.
  • Rigging
    • holes drilled on the wings and fuselage, according to pictures of real planes and the box art, before priming
    • used elastic fishing wires, glued with super-glue (CA glue), after main painting was finished (this aircraft had no stretchers for the rigging. The rigging passed through holes on the wings and fuselage)
    • rigging brush painted with silver after installation (some complicated masking was needed to protect the aircraft painting)
  • General finish is Alclad Aqua Gloss, except for the anti-glare black panel and the propeller, which are flat (Micro flat)

As a first experience with Alclad I can say I was pleased with the results and found these metallic paints easy to use, contrary to much of what is said on the net. They provide a realistic metallic finish and the only difference to acrylic paints is the different primer and the different thinner used to clean the airbrush (cellulose thinner). Apart from that, they are pre-thinned, can be used directly from the bottle and dry fast. As long as the surface is properly primed and without defects, all works fine.

Hope you like it. Please let me know what you think.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 50

Hi Jaime

I think you have done a fabulous job. I have always been interested to have a go at the Airfix Duck, but was put off by the age and mouldings etc. You have shown me that it is possible to get a nice result, without going overboard in rebuilding, rescribing or scratch building. Thanks for posting.

Just goes to show that with a little extra effort - these old kits can turn out great!

Very nice work - Well done (Your Spitfire and Hurricane. are very good too BTW)

Frankly, that's a wonderful model!

First, it goes to prove that older kits can be the basis of top quality models, in the right hands.

Second, these 'tween the wars types belong to my favourites. The Duck shows its Loening OL heritage very clearly.

Third, it's a smashing, colourful build, impeccably finished.

Pure inspiration – bravo!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Like my namesake Noel above. I always fancied a go at the Airfix Duck but was put off by it's age etc. I even picked one up in a shop lately and was tempted to buy. Seeing your version may just push me over the line.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the kind words.

The kit was really difficult for me to build due to the fit and seam problems I mentioned. On the other hand, I must say I still haven't mastered the art of seam treatment... that's one of the areas I dread the most (that and rescribing...). I guess this model would be a piece of cake in more experienced hands.

Anyway, in the end I was quite pleased with the colourful result as well.

As said, this was an almost purely OOB build. I only drilled the ends of the exhausts with a 0.3 mm mini-drill:

y4m24ldiU7NIRR4sakCcHp7CpQoxde3uLnW1cExF

and kind of "scratch built" the bomb holders under the wings. Though these would not be used by 1948 and by a rescue squadron, it seems these holders were kept:

y4mdrvsYFqvE2LdgwWT3BDHZr3yWc26hvGIQwgGE

I just used the kit parts and transformed each pin in a kind of claw, as per the following pictures.

Here are the two bomb holders. I've already cut the pins of the bottom one:

y4mAhAU1LW-IVZGS5Vwo-RqgBpKL5E1LF5FxlfAj

The holder was glued in place and the pins were cut in half and glued in a claw-like fashion. Here's the front "claw":

y4mZpSo2e9s2Z4oB1VWHX2AzYSNEwnH-76kVXXSo

This holder is ready:

y4mnh4ALX8QEqT5ASsXM3c--1Lq5FRM707BqMiEN

The end result was this:

y4mutBKsVZxHN7sI5aQpM3HUML0JEUe3Lel-8Q2P

Well, nothing too sophisticated and not perfect but I believe it improved the looks of the aircraft compared to the original straight pins.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Outstanding work, especially the finish.

I applaud that you did not try to make major changes/corrections to the kit and builit it, instead, with specific goals in mind that you clearly accomplished. Too often, I beleive, we put ourselves under the false assumption that every kit we build on has to be built to perfection, match every rivet and panel line of the prototype, etc. so it will win the next IPMS nationals. Building a contest competitor is fine, but mostly we should build for enjoyment, relaxation, to improve our modeling skills and, most of all, have fun. Thank you for the reminder.

I applaud that you did not try to make major changes/corrections to the kit and builit it, instead, with specific goals in mind that you clearly accomplished.

Thank you louiex2. I always set specific objectives for each build, be it learning new techniques or consolidating skills. Since I'm really just returning to the hobby, I have a lot of techniques to try and skills to consolidate.

Anyway, I'm a bit obsessed with detail and accuracy :blush: and also try to research the individual aircraft or similar examples in order to avoid glaring accuracy mistakes.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Jaime!

Always amazing how good old kits can look if built properly. Especially the paintwork looks superb. Have read you used the Alclad aqua gloss.Bought some time ago their laquer gloss and found it very sensitive and the smell awful.

I would really appreciate to hear about your experiences with the aqua gloss. Is it similar to Future? Also think there is one especially for their metalizers?

Cheers,

Mario