Trumpeter/HB boss kits that are actually good?

thepureness

my mistake, We are mixing scales here. I do agree however with the statement of having the mix of the two models. If it is fixable than it is actually an advantage.

• Like 1

I've only built two - the MiG-17 and the Il-2, both in 1/32. The Il-2 is good, except for the fact the rear fuselage is covered with panel lines and rivet holes - only the first 200 or so had metal fuselages, the rest had wooden ones. That means there's an awful lot of filling and sanding to be done....there are a few other minor inaccuracies, and Eduard set for the cockpit is a must-have, but overall it's a very good kit.

All I'll say about the MiG-17 is that you need a *lot* of aftermarket sets to get it anywhere near accurate...

What an interesting thread!. From a quick read through ( I may have missed some of the small print), I can't remember anyone emphasising the enjoyment factor of building something relatively affordable, available and looking in most respects near enough the real thing. Surely this was the way of the world when Frog, Airfix and Matchbox were the only game in town for most of us.

It is obvious to me from most of the comments here that there are a great number of people on this site who really know their stuff when it comes to certain aircraft, ships or armour. Criticism or comments from them are often constructive and useful to any manufacturers who are willing and still early enough in the design process to take on board and make amendments. Sometimes these will not be economically viable, or the product has already been put on sale. These comments can then be helpful to those modellers with the skill and inclination to try to make their work as accurate as possible. It seems to me though that non-constructive comments or blanket dismissal of products due to a company's past performance are of little use to anyone.

Personally I think that one man's peach can be another man's lemon. If I don't know where every last rivet should go, it is not the end of the world. If a kit is easy enough to build, does not cost an outrageous amount of money, then I can enjoy building it. If I ever feel the need to build something with complete accuracy, then I can obtain as much reference material as possible, see the real thing and photograph it from all angles and then sit back and wait for the day when some manufacturer will actually make one for me.

• Like 1