Difference between Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Setter Neo?

Ronan71

I've a bottle of the Mr Hobby mark setter and also softer and find they work great for applying decals.

I was at a local model show here today in Dublin and I bought a bottle of Mr Mark Setter Neo on impulse and I'm wondering what the difference is to the regular Mark Setter stuff I already have?

Looking at them, the Neo looks milkier, but that's it! Just curious is there much of a difference?

That would be the sensible suggestion! I'm a bit of a magpie though in that regard, I see something new and "shiny" to me and have to have it!

• Haha 1

Ah, the curse of Shiny Kit Syndrome or SKS as it is referred to in the various Cadet organisations...and in the regular armed forces/emergency services too! As a former member of the Air Training Corps (Cadet and Staff for my sins!) and a member of the emergency services I know your pain Ronan. I too have looked at catalogues, browsed the interweb and wandered around shops with an insane desire to buy everything I see whether I need it or not!

Be warned, SKS is a precursor to a much more serious and even more expensive medical condition called AMS - After Market Syndrome. You will find solace with many sufferers of these conditions here on Britmodeller :evil_laugh:

DC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL! I fear I'm already prone to AMS too!

I tend to limit the hobbies/stuff I'm into as I find I can't do things by half!!!

Having said that, my previous hobbies of 1:18th diecast cars, then scalextric at a club racing level were far more costly and not as therapeutic as building kits, so there is hope for me yet!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm also curious also about the difference. I recently bought Mark Softer Neo, because my Micro Set/Sol is almost empty, and it didn't seem to work. Seems they changed the formula. Anyone have experience comparing the old and new bottles?

• 6 months later...
On 5/10/2015 at 2:36 PM, Ronan71 said:

Looking at them, the Neo looks milkier, but that's it! Just curious is there much of a difference?

Neo knows kung fu.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

My understanding is Mr Mark Setter is designed to work best with Japanese manufacturers decals, Tamiya, Hasegawa etc.

Mr Mark Setter Neo is for US and European manufacturers decals (and I believe Cartograph is included with these). Mr Mark Setter Neo is a stronger, new formulae for even more effective decal application because is was being reported that Mr Mark Setter was not really effective on decals other than those produced in Japan.

Hope this helps.

P

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rayprit said:

Your best friend when modelling ANYTHING is always YouTube...…………….always check them out for solutions

The op already has these two, he's asking about a different one

5 hours ago, colin said:

The op already has these two, he's aking about a different one

I stand corrected, ------But as I said in my previous post...…….your best friend is YouTube everytime - for ANYTHING, just "GOOGLE" away

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding and experience is that the Neo is a weaker mix. Japanese decals tend to be very thick and don't conform too well to surface detail without chemical assistance. The original Mr Mark Softer and Setter solutions were designed for the aforementioned Japanese decals. The Neo solutions were designed for thinner decals.

Personally, I don't rate them as it marked my Johnson's Clear varnish coat on a model I tried them on. I prefer the Daco solutions.

Hth,

Tom.