After a evening without anyhing on the TV I have started to rescribe a 1/48 Airfix Tornado F3 for this GB. So that will be what I build.

That is all that I will do before the start.

Cheers

Got a Revell, Italeri and Hobby Boss Tornado in 1/48 scale.

Is the Hobby Boss Tornado really that bad as some people say?

Been reading on this forum and people are a bit negative about that kit.

Got a Revell, Italeri and Hobby Boss Tornado in 1/48 scale.

Is the Hobby Boss Tornado really that bad as some people say?

Been reading on this forum and people are a bit negative about that kit.

I built one a couple of years back as a GR4, quite enjoyed it to be honest, made a few alterations to try and correct some of the kits flaws and I think it turned out pretty nice. Will need post some pics of it sometime!

Muzz

I'm looking forward to this, doing a bit of research at the moment and deciding on what if any AM to add, is it just me that's finds this stage quite exciting?!

Muzz

This is an excellent idea, and a great tribute.

I've got a 1:144 Revell Tornado, which I bought after seeing them fly around the Scottish Highlands last summer. So count me in please...

J.

• Like 2

Have got myself a Revell 1/72 GR1 and some model alliance decals - lots of different options...some advice.

The white distemper for arctic ops says in the narrative that it was painted over the green, giving a DSG/White effect....the picture, when compared to the normal DG/DSG wraparound scheme (above it), seems wrong? I think on the schematic where it is DSG should be white and where it is white it should be DSG?

Interestingly an old Corgi metal model seems to support this?

http://www.minimodelshop.co.uk/diecast-model-aircraft/panavia-tornado-gr1-raf-2-sqn-norway-1995-diecast-model-aircraft-corgi-aa33613#

panavia-tornado-gr1-raf-2-sqn-norway-199

FE95DF96-6978-4A6F-9F70-495908133AAC_zps

Any advice from experts would be appreciated, especially any reference pics....

Interestingly the plan/underneath pics seem correct when compared to the corgi?!

A3E7D63A-4B16-415C-A105-DE2FE96D7303_zps

http://www.nnre.ru/transport_i_aviacija/aviacija_i_vremja_2009_02/p3.php

pic_76_zpsmjoujnrr.jpg

3B9D1AEB-FFEE-4E91-8D4B-CB026F8C3A34_zps

The kit....still not decided what scheme, but the arctic distemper is tempting.....what colour would the tanks be?!

As is my tradition I will also build a 1/48 (think its the Revell German IDS with some bits to make it a GR1) - maybe in Op Granby scheme as always planned.....

Just gotta get those Phantoms finished!!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

Tim

The text on the decal sheet is incorrect ZA592, 'C' was finished in the later DSG/DCG scheme at the time, hence no green on display. The white paint has been applied following the old scheme where the Dark Sea Grey would have been, if that makes sense!

Like the Jaguar fleet the white scheme varied on the two tone green/grey scheme with some airframes having the grey painted over in white and some with the green painted over. From what I've been able to find the White/green finished airframes were predominantly from 13 Sqn with 2 Sqn preferring the White/grey scheme.

Muzz

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this, doing a bit of research at the moment and deciding on what if any AM to add, is it just me that's finds this stage quite exciting?!

Muzz

Yes - research is an opportunity to revisit old and well thumbed books, magazines and websites and deciding what AM to use sounds very much like an excuse to buy new shiny things.

• Like 1

Thanks Muzz,

See next edited comment ~92 - I understand what you mean by old pattern, but it seems the plan/underneath view wraparound doesn't match the side view?

Edited by Tim Moff

Tim

The text on the decal sheet is incorrect ZA592, 'C' was finished in the later DSG/DCG scheme at the time, hence no green on display. The white paint has been applied following the old scheme where the Dark Sea Grey would have been, if that makes sense!

Like the Jaguar fleet the white scheme varied on the two tone green/grey scheme with some airframes having the grey painted over in white and some with the green painted over. From what I've been able to find the White/green finished airframes were predominantly from 13 Sqn with 2 Sqn preferring the White/grey scheme.

Muzz

Thanks Muzz,

A bit confused, would it not be a mix of DSG (on the upper fuselage and wings) and white, and DCG on the fuselage, undersides and fin, with white if a DSG/DCG airframe had white distemper?

Q1: Should I follow the pattern as per the instructions above? The plan/lower view certainly doesn't look like it matches? :mental:

The 13 Sqn airframe, as you mentioned has the white over the DSG. Using this theory I should switch the colours on the side view?

Your input/recommendation would be mosy welcome Muzz!

scan0042-1_zpsxu6xnrqe.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tim

Not sure if your confused by the acronym's, apologies if I'm stating the obvious;

DSG = Dark Sea Grey, DCG = Dark Camouflage Grey

Your quite correct, the aircraft ZA592 has the white applied over the Dark Sea Grey and Dark Camo grey. The White is applied where the Dark Sea Grey would have been in the old Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green scheme.

The pattern in your instructions look good to me and after applying the standard Dark Sea Grey / Dark Camo Grey scheme I would apply the white as per the instructions.

The 13 Sqn machine in your photo is in the old scheme with the White and Dark Green on display, the white having been applied over the Dark Sea Grey.

Hope this has helped and makes sense.

Muzz

Thanks,

Ok kinda makes sense, cam as per the DSG/DCG scheme (as the GR 4s are currently) and then add white where the DSG was painted on the old DG/DSG cam. So will actually be 3 colours, white, DSG and DCG?

Do me a favour, look at the plan view - the cam does not seem to match? As the grey comes around the back of the canopy on the side view, it's white on the plan view? As if its switched?

Sorry if I'm being solid??

The area on the spine where the fin meets is DSG in the side view but white on the plan view?

Lol - do you see where I'm coming from?

Tim

I see what you mean now and after looking further into it it pretty much contradicts a lot that I said in the first post. One of the reference books I have, Tornado MRCA by Jon Lake shows a picture of 2 Sqn airframe 'C' but quotes the serial as ZA761 and it states the aircraft is in the two tone grey scheme with the White disruptive pattern applied, however, other photos show 'C', and it appears to be the same airframe, with the green/grey camo scheme with the White painted over the green! It would appear both ZA592 and ZA371 have been 'C' on 2 Sqn at some point.

I've found nothing showing the port side of 'C' and I believe the researchers at MA probably had the same problem when doing the scheme so they have basically copied the pattern of the DSG/Green aircraft on the profile above it in the instructions and got the white and grey the wrong way round. As you mentioned earlier your best bet is to follow the similar pattern but swap the White with the grey on the port side only.

The link to this thread shows the same aircraft with a decent view of the top;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23627-did-the-tornado-ever-have-a-winter-paint-scheme/

It confirms the plan view is correct although the area of white behind the cockpit is missing!

• Like 1

Appreciated - seems the Stbd side concurs looking at the 2 photos:

RAF_Panavia_Tornado_GR1A_zps9esrobst.jpg

pic_76_zpsmjoujnrr.jpg

A3E7D63A-4B16-415C-A105-DE2FE96D7303_zps

FE95DF96-6978-4A6F-9F70-495908133AAC_zps

So I think they made a mistake colouring in the graphic....I will paint (If I choose this scheme!) the Stbd, Plan and base as per above and the schematic and Port the opposite of the schematic!

Will paint it DG/DSG first, then add some white primer over the top....maybe try to weather a bit (how do you do chipping?!) , funny to see the before and after:

Before:

pic_76_zpsmjoujnrr.jpg

Edited: actually think its the same pic?!

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/3/6/1162633.jpg

surprised there are not more pics, in my 25 years with the Parachute Regiment I took loads of 'happy snaps;...

Thanks Muzz, for your time, its appreciated.

Edited by Tim Moff

The kit....still not decided what scheme, but the arctic distemper is tempting.....what colour would the tanks be?!

If if was me, I would do one of the tanks in the winter scheme and the other standard Dark Green/DSG - might not be 100% accurate but think it would look great!

Dermot

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me why there is so little aftermarket (especially PE) for the Italeri Tornado IDS?

You can find a lot of it for the Hobby Boss kit but almost nothing for the Italeri one!

Can anyone tell me why there is so little aftermarket (especially PE) for the Italeri Tornado IDS?

You can find a lot of it for the Hobby Boss kit but almost nothing for the Italeri one!

There was loads for it once, all made by Paragon. Seats, fin correction, wheels, wing sleeves, stabilizer pivot points, engine nozzles. Sadly when Paragon stopped, there were not really any other options as their stuff was so good, it basically kicked everything else out of the market. Boy, do I miss it! Edited by Brokenedge