Anigrand 1/72 Bell Aerospace X-22A VTOL

Hi fellow GB'ers. As this great GB is now up and running I thought I had better get on and start my entry.

IMGP2039.jpg

This will be my first ever complete resin kit. I have dabbled a little with resin conversion parts, but not much experience really. The two most worrying aspects are, a. having to stick it together with super glue (a recipe for disaster and fingers stuck together) and b, having to wear a mask during the cleaning up process, so that I don't inhale any dust and subsequently die. Other than that, it should be plain sailing.

Oh, and I do not like the look of the vacform canopy. I think getting it cut out and fitting neatly might prove to be the biggest challenge. It is quite a prominent part of the aircraft.

IMGP2041.jpg

18780ada-2a89-40f6-9686-6c3c59dcaac0.jpg

As you can see, it isn't even out the bag yet. It does look like nice kit though, crisply cast and a good decal sheet. First task I guess is to wash all the parts? Then start cutting off the moulding/casting blocks etc and cleaning it all up.

There may be a slight delay before I post any substantial updates, as I must finish my An-32 left over from the Lesser Air Forces GB. It is taking up most of my bench space.

Cheers guy's.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard and that's an interesting model you've brought along as well.

Anigrand models are generally not too bad at all, I have built a few and they're quite nice and not too difficult.

Yeap a good wash/soak in warm water with some bleach added is the first step. Then for sanding, What I find best for the flat bits is to glue some wet-n-dry to a piece of glass (or similar) as that gives you a really nice flat sanding surface, plus using water stops the resin dust., Try and do all your sanding where possible with wet-n-day and water, it's dust free and you'll find that the paper doesn't get so clogged up.

For gluing I prefer to use the Gel type superglue, it gives you a little more time to position bits, some people like to use 5 minute epoxy as well, for the same season. Plus you're less likely to glue your fingers together.

The best advice though for resin models is to test fit everything multiple times and really spend that little bit of extra time in prepping the joins and learning where everything goes exactly. It makes it so much easier to when it comes time to gluing things together and cleaning up joins....plus you're less inclined to glue things in the wrong spot or incorrectly.

Well good luck with the build, resin isn't that scary at all, just take you time and enjoy the process.

• Like 1

Cheers trickyrich,

Thanks for the kind welcome, and the good advice which I appreciate. The wet n dry and water technique seems a good idea. I am paranoid about the dust!

Looking forward to a great GB.

• 1 month later...