routemaster question

I am in the middle of a doing a routemaster, but I have a question about the driver cockpit area. According to the instructions everything is meant to be black apart from the floor and roof which has you do it a black/grey mix. Can I just paint it black like the rest?

You can paint it fluorescent yellow if you want to. Unless you are going to be showing it off to a load of routemaster experts, it will not matter if the roof is black like the rest as no one will know that the paint call out was different.

why not add a small amount of white, or a shade of grey you do have to some black to get a small difference in the roof lining?

Great walkaround pictures and a good oppotunity for plenty of masking!! Good thing about a dark coloured cab is that it will dry brush up great. Keep it authentic.

I have seen many enquiries re the colours used on London Routemasters.

As a modeller (and through my profession!) I am very familiar with BS 381c, and I have to hand the latest copy of BS 381c and several "Back issues" (1964, 1980, 1988). I feel you would be interested to note that The Front page of this British Standard has the following statement:

"The Preparation of this British Standard was entrusted to a Technical Committee STI/14 Colour Schedules, upon which the following bodies were represented:"

What follows is a list of these bodies, which includes "London Transport" in the earlier editions, the latest edition states "London Transport (Buses)"

Each edition of BS 381c also has an “Appendix B” entitled, “Major Organisations Using Colours from BS381C.” As I am writing this I am at present looking at the 1988 edition and listed in Annex B is London Regional Transport. It gives a comprehensive list of the colour hues used by this organisation. (Which I have listed below, for your interest.)

It appears LT were instrumental in producing the BS 381 Standard from almost the first edition issued in 1931 which was pre London Transport, but I speculate that the General or Thomas Tilling Companies may have had some input into that first (1931) edition.

As London Transport was a publically owned organisation until privatisation, and as they were involved in the conception and subsequent management of BS381c, I find it inconceivable that LT Buses were not painted to BS colour Standards from day one in 1933. All other organisations that had similar status (Post Office, MoD, Trinity House, Fire Service etc.), all used and in some cases still use BS381c colour hues.

Reading through a lot of the posts on colours this website there are a few quotes that state colours are a bit “like a BS colour” but more orangey or bluey “ or whatever.

I believe that LT vehicles were always painted to BS standard colours. LT seem to have given them their own paint names (Ayres Red or Chinese green for example) and there own paint codes. As stated in posts there are some variations in colour hue, but it is only recently that computer controlled paint mixing methods can really get consistent colour paints. In earlier days there could be considerable difference in the hue of different batches, especially if supplied by different manufacturers, and of course paint, especially red, fades with age which makes a comparison with old paint a problem when trying to find a match.

LRT COLOURS LISTED IN BS381C 1988 EDITION
Hue numbers 105,107,110,166,218,221,309,361,412,445,447,537,539,542,632,642.
Please Note BS 381c is organised in terms of primary colours Red Green Blue etc. The first number quoted is the Colour 1=Blue, 2= Green, 5=Red etc. The following numbers are the Hue (or variation) of that colour.

Selwyn