Clear coating clear parts?

Hey all

I've currently building an Academy 1/35 UH-1C and I'm coming to the point where I'm ready to button up the fuselage (after I've painted and attached to the interior the cyclics, collectives, first aid kits, 2 fire extinguishers and the crew).

So, naturally I'm thinking about clear coating the windows prior to masking them off...

Thing is, just recently I've not been having much luck with clear parts (if I've ever had any luck with them ever!) and I'm wondering if it's my Klear that is a part of the problem? The other possibly being my airbrush...

Would using another clear medium, for example Windsor & Newton Galleria Gloss Varnish be a good idea, or would it cause problems? Presumably I can brush it on or dip parts in it in the same way as Klear?

TIA

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I usually dip clear parts in mixture of 40-50% tamiya acrylic gloss and x20 thinner. You can tint by adding clear smoke or one of the other clear colours too. I usually do it with clear on most canopies as it does make the glass appear thinner and also if you need to sand out mould lines it will remove the sanding damage.

I did this a while ago with clear yellow. Colour isn't perfect but the method is good.

02_zps0wvy7u4c.jpg

• Like 2

Thing is, just recently I've not been having much luck with clear parts (if I've ever had any luck with them ever!) and I'm wondering if it's my Klear that is a part of the problem? The other possibly being my airbrush...

Clear parts should be dipped in Klear/Future, not sprayed.

• Like 1

I usually dip clear parts in mixture of 40-50% tamiya acrylic gloss and x20 thinner. You can tint by adding clear smoke or one of the other clear colours too. I usually do it with clear on most canopies as it does make the glass appear thinner and also if you need to sand out mould lines it will remove the sanding damage.

I did this a while ago with clear yellow. Colour isn't perfect but the method is good.

02_zps0wvy7u4c.jpg

That Canopy looks great.

And I normally dip in Klear.

I can't find future anywhere, ever. I always look for it and never find it. I find tamiya gloss with acrylic thinner does the job well. Only problem is can't be removed with windex. Key thing is to wick away "dip" with paper towel and leave it covered while it dries, sitting on a paper towel. Sometimes it builds up in corners so I will go back 10 min later and try wick away the accumulation. Next time I dip one I'll post it. Shouldn't be long. Check out my phantom in group build.

I can't find future anywhere, ever. I always look for it and never find it.

Future has been relabeled several times, as Swanny points out. Here in the US it's now called "Pledge with Future shine." It can be found just about at any retailer that carries floor care products, including the 'big box' discount stores.

Future has been relabeled several times, as Swanny points out. Here in the US it's now called "Pledge with Future shine." It can be found just about at any retailer that carries floor care products, including the 'big box' discount stores.

Never been able to find it in Singapore!