1/72 Revell Arado Ar (E) 555

Looking good Nigel - the Arado and the steak both look very tasty! I like the demarcation line effect you got with the masking - worth the effort :)

Sorry to hear about the problems with the masking - what do you think caused the reaction? I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.

• Like 1

That's annoying.....If it were one panel it would be a doddle to sort, but crossing three really complicates things. Maybe a freehand respray, misting the paint over the problem area? Some highlighting clouds might help to hide any remaining issues? :hmmm:

Just a thought.....

Sorry to hear about the problems with the masking - what do you think caused the reaction?

The paint was not fully cured, simple as. I have used these Mr Color paints on a few models now and not had a problem. They clearly need some time to fully dry out, especially when thickly applied.

Maybe a freehand respray, misting the paint over the problem area? Some highlighting clouds might help to hide any remaining issues? :hmmm:

Early days yet but I am thinking along similar lines. Put a fine nozzle in the airbrush and maybe mask with some Post It notes where necessary to get it sorted. What do you mean by "highlighting clouds"?

Norm, glad you liked my steak dinner!

It's a trick often used on AFVs to liven up monotone schemes, pretty much the diametric opposite of pre-shading......Instead of spraying a dark colour into and along the panel lines right at the start, you are spraying a very slightly lightened version of the base colour between them, right at the end.

I usually work from more or less from the centre of each panel. spraying slightly randomly to add some variety to the scheme.....Combined with dot filters this can really liven a monotone scheme up:

Vercors031_zps3a953407.jpg

I swapped the previous photoshopped image for this one straight from the camera.....I didn't have my big lights when I took the picture and my efforts to brighten up the image in PS rather exaggerated the effect that I'm attempting to describe. :doh:

• Like 5

I suspect it's something you wingy-thing modellers do too, possibly known by a different name in aviation circles? :shrug:

I believe the technique is known as post-shading.

It's a lovely tank btw.

And Nigel, the Arado is looking awesome, the paint scheme is wicked cool B)

Shame about the issues, bu I'm sure you'll figure them out.

K

• Like 1

I believe the technique is known as post-shading.

It's a lovely tank btw.

I believe 'Post-Shading' consists of spraying a heavily thinned darker shade into panels and recesses, to add shadow effects to a model. :nerd:

The tank is a bit bigger than my usual fare TBH.....It's my one and only 1/35 model (& I still haven't completely finished it). :blush:

This morning I got some more RLM 75 onto the engines and then removed all the masking:

P1100685_zpslybgce1i.jpg

I am reasonably happy with those - I do like the red engine fronts.

Here is how they look in position:

P1100686_zpsqk3f1klh.jpg

Trying to tackle the paint issues in some logical fashion, I first sanded the bad area on the underside and masked ready for retouching like this:

P1100687_zpsfo28avsg.jpg

Here's how it looked after respraying:

P1100688_zpsarxvyrif.jpg

Its not perfect but will do for the underside, I also removed some of the tape marks with the new paint application.

Next the upper surface, this mark was caused by one of the tape pads under the masking:

P1100689_zps7kmv9fqb.jpg

I applied some more RLM 75 to that area with the idea of ending with more of the blue grey to finish it off and remove some of the overspray.

As well as the overspray in several areas there was also the Intermediate Blue visible where it shouldn't have been:

P1100690_zps8twalu22.jpg

The final issue were these tape marks on the blue colour:

P1100691_zpssfbavgej.jpg

After much cogitation I decided that most of the issues could be solved by masking the edges of the blue gray and repainting whilst still trying to preserve a slight soft edge:

P1100692_zpscbmkuvpe.jpg

That required some quite tricky airbrush control (for me), I know others make it look easy. Here it is immediately after spraying:

P1100693_zpsika5zagg.jpg

And here with the masking removed:

P1100694_zpsrcsrr0ep.jpg

That has definitely improved things but I am still not happy with the blue areas. With a bit of luck I will be able to sort those tomorrow. I forgot to mention that I sorted the yellow areas with some fine sanding stick action and a bit of hand retouching. At one point I thought I was going to have to mask and respray them but I think they are now near enough.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 14

Excellent work fixing the paint issues and the camoflauge scheme looks wonderful.

+1, couldn't say that better myself. :goodjob:

And I see what you mean about the blue areas, but given how you fixed the rest, I have no doubt they'll come out great.

Ciao

• Like 1

Nigel, I'm always disheartened when a paint job has to be repaired (I've been there frequently...) so I'm glad you managed to solve your issues and came out with an excellent finish, congrats! :thumbsup:

Jaime

• Like 1

- in some photo's it almost looks Vulcan-esque

Totally agree with that.

I think I need to add a DF loop aerial on top of the engines, as I have been planning for some time:

P1100698_zpsaikqkuiz.jpg

I will get to work on that shortly.

I have removed the masking from the wheels and dry brushed some Humbrol Dark Grey on the tread areas:

P1100699_zps6fbee68j.jpg

I just need to add the red dots to the tyres to finish those.

I thought I was going to have to respray the blue areas on the engines but the problem area does not appear to be a problem anymore:

P1100700_zpsyyjxkdy3.jpg

What a relief,

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 2

Okay, I am sorta back. Have a lot of catching up to do and need to go through this thread to see what ideas I need to rip of. . . I mean be influenced by, as I have this kit in the stash. I am sure I will be amazed.

• Like 6