Aer Turas Canadair CL-44J

Hi All

This is my Welsh Models Canadair CL-44J. I’m going to finish in Aer Turas colours. I’ve had this model for many many years and it’s about time I build it. My plan is to open the side cargo door and have the tail open as well. That will mean I’ll have to put a floor and some cargo.

So I’m going to start by cleaning up the last of the parts and work out the floor.

Regards

Ken

IMG_20150506_220445605_zpsow5kmfqd.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Ken and that's a nice looking model you have brought with you as well!

Sounds like you have a big project with this build, look forward to watching it progress along.

Again welcome and good luck with the build and how your build is an enjoyable one.

Welcome aboard Ken and that's a nice looking model you have brought with you as well!

Sounds like you have a big project with this build, look forward to watching it progress along.

Again welcome and good luck with the build and how your build is an enjoyable one.

Think you. I don’t think it’s as big a project as you think. I have a plan, so it know what I have to do.

Do the fuselage halfs come like that or have you had to cut them off?

Will be watching this, I do love CL-44's!

I had to cut the fuselage out. All the part have to be cut out. i still have to cut the wings out.
When I was young I would watch the Aer Turas CL-44 at Dublin Airport. I always said I would build a model of one. I was thinking a DC-8 would look good too.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

I’ve done some work on the wings of the CL-44. I cut open the landing gear doors and installed some wheel wells. I also replace the engine exhaust with some tube, it make a big difference and looks some mush better. Tonight I’m going to start on the cargo doors. I’ll put up some before and after photos.

Ken

IMG_0197_zpsqiwko12q.jpg

This is the work on the wheel wells.

IMG_0200_zps2zgj6bol.jpg

This is the way engine exhaust looked before I done any work on it.

IMG_0206_zpsqwuchkbl.jpg

IMG_0207_zpsqjhxnq5m.jpg

And this is it after.

• Like 5

Good to see you made some progress with this build, very nice work with the new exhausts, they look heaps better!

I agree with Rich nice job on the exhausts

All the best Chris

Nice job, Ken!

I will be watching with interest.

Philip

Hi

Thank you.. Still have lots of work. Hope it all turns out as good as the exhausts.

Just a quick update on the work done yesterday and today. I cut open the two cargo doors and started work on some of the supports for the front cargo floor. I also glued some tabs in the inside of the fuselage to help with me line up the two halves.
Thank you for watching
IMG_0208_zpsfsiubhih.jpg
IMG_0212_zpshzp8uljs.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely detail work going on here Ken. Those exhausts are a massive improvement over the originals and the cargo floor modifications are really well thought out.

I'll be watching with great interest to see how it all pans out.

All the best.

Chris

It is so good to see you are going to do it opened up, love to see them with the tail swung open, and as others have said, but worth repeating really great job on the floor and exhausts

Hi

Thank you for all your comments. I have to say there is a lot of great work going into all the models in this group build.

I think it looks like I’m putting up the same photos all the time. But I have got some work done. I’ve filled and sanded the tail, I think that it will need a little more tlc. The fuselage has been glued and the cargo floor has been trimmed. I will fill it over the next couple of days and then I can glue the wing on.

I plan to make decals for the cockpit windows. I will post the design when I have it done.

Thank you for looking.

Ken

IMG_0221_zpsmvgstibi.jpg

IMG_0222_zps2vrtpuvl.jpg

IMG_0223_zpsyuhoiovy.jpg

IMG_0224_zpsik5vjd8z.jpg

IMG_0225_zps6zaw8h1d.jpg

IMG_0227_zpsf8zbvko4.jpg

IMG_0226_zpsl4gk0w6q.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with Rich, it looks nice a level. I assume cut slots into the fuselage halves to take the floor?

Yes the slots at the back are for the floor. First time I've used this way. It worked out really well, but I did make a mistake and cut the first set of slots to low, so had to fill them with some plastic card. All in all with worked as planned.

The front floor area has 3 supports, It like a floor in a house.

The only work I've done tonight is some filling and I designed the cockpit windows. I place some masking tape over the windows and then trace the outline, scan it into my computer. Using cad I draw one half of the window and mirror it so I have a full window. I then colour it in with some photo editing software. I just have to get some decal paper.

cl-44%20Windows_zpsksobpybo.jpg

This is the way it looked in the cad drawing

cl-44%20Windows%20Colour_zpspffskwtv.jpg

And this is after colouring it in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work so far, it will look really different with the tail swung open.

I used to see these come over with a cargo of horses for Cheltenham, long time ago now.....

Steve