new Revell FW-190F-8 - can it be built as an A-8?

elger

Although Revell might release another variant of the kit in the (near?) future, would it be possible to build an A-8 out of the F-8 boxing of their new FW-190 kit or are some key parts missing?

Off the top of my head the only real external difference between the A and F would be the ETC50 bomb racks carried under the wings on the F. Also the F didn't mount the outer MG151/20 cannons in the wings. Not all A-8s carried these though so you would have to chose your subject accordingly.

Tim.

Off the top of my head the only real external difference between the A and F would be the ETC50 bomb racks carried under the wings on the F. Also the F didn't mount the outer MG151/20 cannons in the wings. Not all A-8s carried these though so you would have to chose your subject accordingly.

Tim.

This is mostly correct. The F could mount either the MG151, Mk108 or Mk103 in the outer (or mid wing as some say) internal wing cannon bays but I've not seen an F with cannons, so you would need some long MG151 cannon barrels. The ETC50 bomb racks were not permanently fitted to the F, in fact some had ETC502 or 503 racks fitted depending on what they were going to carry under the wing. Either way, DO NOT fit underwing racks if you want an A-8.

So in short you need cannon barrels and to leave off the underwing racks and you'll have an A-8. Be aware of things like what type of canopy the A-8 your modelling had. Both the A-8 and F-8 had the standard or blown canopies, the centreline rack should be the same for either but I would guess the A-8 more commonly carried a Drop Tank rather than a bomb but you could model it with either.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

This is mostly correct. The F could mount either the MG151, Mk108 or Mk103 in the outer (or mid wing as some say) internal wing cannon bays but I've not seen an F with cannons, so you would need some long MG151 cannon barrels. The ETC50 bomb racks were not permanently fitted to the F, in fact some had ETC502 or 503 racks fitted depending on what they were going to carry under the wing. Either way, DO NOT fit underwing racks if you want an A-8.

So in short you need cannon barrels and to leave off the underwing racks and you'll have an A-8. Be aware of things like what type of canopy the A-8 your modelling had. Both the A-8 and F-8 had the standard or blown canopies, the centreline rack should be the same for either but I would guess the A-8 more commonly carried a Drop Tank rather than a bomb but you could model it with either.

thanks

Mike

The OP was inquiring about the standard F and not one with either Umrustbausatze (modification) or Rustsatze (conversion packs) For example the F8/U1 carried the ETC503 bomb racks. Also you mention the Mk108 , this was proposed to be the F-8/R2 however only 2 were built.

Tim.

The OP was inquiring about the standard F and not one with either Umrustbausatze (modification) or Rustsatze (conversion packs) For example the F8/U1 carried the ETC503 bomb racks. Also you mention the Mk108 , this was proposed to be the F-8/R2 however only 2 were built.

Tim.

Erm, I think you should retract your comment as the one with the ETC50 racks was the F-8/R1. Plus he was asking about turning the F-8 into an A-8, which involves no underwing armament and fitting cannon barrels, which I believe I answered. I also have no idea what weapons the Revell kit comes with but it's irrelevant bearing in mind you leave it off when modelling an A-8. Also nowhere in the OP does it say 'Standard F'.

thanks

Mike

Erm, I think you should retract your comment as the one with the ETC50 racks was the F-8/R1. Plus he was asking about turning the F-8 into an A-8, which involves no underwing armament and fitting cannon barrels, which I believe I answered. I also have no idea what weapons the Revell kit comes with but it's irrelevant bearing in mind you leave it off when modelling an A-8. Also nowhere in the OP does it say 'Standard F'.

thanks

Mike

I'm retracting nothing! I'd already stated the differences between the 2 if you'd have read my post better. By the nature of the OP's question it was pretty obvious he wasn't asking about any other but a F without any add ons, the F8/R1 was considered to be the stock F.

Like I said it was off the top of my head, as much as I like my Luftwaffe I'm no anorak.

Tim.

• Like 1

I did read your post and already said you were mostly correct but F's carried a big variety of weapons and I've no idea what's in the Revell box, hence me saying they could carry lots but you don't need any of them for the A-8.

As for retracting your comment, I was literally referring to you saying the OP didn't mean any F with a U or R suffix but what you call a 'standard' F is the F-8/R1, hence the hypocrisy of your comment. A so called 'stock' F-8 was an F-8 without anything other than the centreline rack.

thanks

Mike

Yes I know the F-8 could carry a variety of weapons, but those came under the U and R designations didn't they, which to me fall out of the scope of the original question, hence me not bothering to mention them.

Tim.

Yes I know the F-8 could carry a variety of weapons, but those came under the U and R designations didn't they, which to me fall out of the scope of the original question, hence me not bothering to mention them.

Tim.

The standard A-8 came with MG 151/20s in both wing positions and a pair of fuselage mounted MG 131s.....simple.

Everything else is not really relevant unless you plan to make a more exotic version of an A-8.

The F-8 deleted the outer MG 151/20s. You would need to alter the relevant wing panels to accept these weapons and delete the two ETC 50 racks on each wing to make an F-8. Some F-8s did not carry the fuselage mounted armament and the gun troughs were fared over but I've not seen the kit you are interested in.

I would say it could be done without too much stress.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Stonar
  • Like 1

The standard A-8 came with MG 151/20s in both wing positions and a pair of fuselage mounted MG 131s.....simple.

Everything else is not really relevant unless you plan to make a more exotic version of an A-8.

The F-8 deleted the outer MG 151/20s. You would need to alter the relevant wing panels to accept these weapons and delete the two ETC 50 racks on each wing to make an F-8. Some F-8s did not carry the fuselage mounted armament and the gun troughs were fared over but I've not seen the kit you are interested in.

I would say it could be done without too much stress.

Cheers

Steve

Which is what I said in my first post!

Tim.

Tim.

The basic external differences between F-8 and A-8 having been well-covered already, I would mention that the details of the outer gun bay might be the most difficult parts to tweak.

When the MG 151 or MK 108 was mounted in the outer gun bays of an A-8, the hinged access panel underneath was bulged to accommodate the gun's breech and/or shell ejection mechanism, and overlapped the actual hole in the wing at the front and sides. The MG 151's panel in particular had a fairly complex shape to the bulge, which was "handed," i.e. not the same on each side. The F-8 of course had a flat panel under this bay to clear the bomb racks, which was smaller as it fit flush in the actual opening.

Oddly enough in light of having no outboard guns, the F-8 usually DID carry a small fixed bulge above this bay on top of the wing, with a characteristic shallow, flattened arched shape. This covered a small hole in the wing skinning that was needed for the MK 108, and seems to have been a "universal" fitting on the late 190's wing (the Fw 190D-9 was an exception; still has the hole, but covered by a small flat plate instead of the arched fairing).

I would add I haven't seen the new 1/32 Revell kit, and don't know what options are included for this area.

• Like 2

It's worth remembering that the F series of Fw 190s was originally based on the Umrust-Bausatz ('Umbau') 3 for the A-4. The Fw 190 F-1 was essentially an Fw 190 A-4/U3. The F-2 was based on the A-5 as was the F-3 (actually another A-5 'Umbau' which number I can't recall) but with some significant differences. Obviously when production resumed later with the F-8, based on the A-8, one of the periodic rationalisations of nomenclature had taken place.

Although it received its own F series designation it was never much more than a relatively simple conversion from a standard A series aircraft of whichever dash number.

Cheers

Steve

I find this a very useful round up of the variants

Focke-Wulf 190
Part One - Würger Genesis
A Modeler's Primer to the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A, F and G Series
by John R. Beaman, Jr.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190jb_1.htm

regarding the OP question of F-8 to A-8

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/revell04869reviewbg_1.htm

The wing is moulded specifically as an F-8 without the outer gun positions and ejection chutes. However, there is a faintly raised rectangle around the lower wing gun panel, suggesting that there might be tooling provision for an alternative wing in the future. Maybe an A-8 on the way?

HTH

• Like 1

Did I read somewhere that the f8 carried extra armour underneath? If so was it internal or external?

From the F-3 onwards, I think including the F-8 but can't check at the moment, internal armour was carried. There was 5mm plate extending from the oil radiator to fuel tanks which were protected by 8mm plate. The lower engine was protected by 6mm plate. The pilot was protected by additional external plate, at least on the F-3, and a thicker armoured windshield.

Al this extra weight was the principle reason for the deletion of the outer wing guns and later the cowl guns.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

There will be two A-8 variants, one with MG 151/20 and the other one with MK 108. You can notice the insert mold on the current kit. It is not yet clear when these variants will be released. With some luck we will see one of them next year. There were photos of the various test shots with this accomodation around before the production kit was out.

If you do not want to wait, take one of the options from a Hasegawa kit. The small blister for the barrel mount on (better: right under) the wing leading edge is not included in the F-8 kit as far as I can see. This can easily be scratched or also be taken from the Has` kit.

• 2 years later...