1/72 Revell F4-F - JG 74 'Mölders' **FINISHED**

Alright guys, hope you don't mind a late starter! :whistle:

I've had this in the stash for a year or so now and this seems like the perfect opportunity to crack it open. Here's the cracking box art, but I won't be doing the included show scheme, but the JG74 line jet instead, with hopefully a bit of weathering.

IMAG0977_zpsnigixyf9.jpg

The sprue shot.

IMAG0980_zpsocqydloi.jpg

The scheme from the instructions, helpful as ever from revell :bangin:

IMAG0979_zpsr2ifwiqj.jpg

Though doing a quick bit of research (I always like to find at least 1 reference photo) I'm not sure if revell got the scheme right! So, if anyone can help with this it will be very much appreciated!

My plan of attack is going to be a little different than usual for this one so there won't be a massive amount of progress to start with. I normally charge straight in with the cockpit, clipping stuff from the sprue trees, throwing some glue around, and smothering it in paint. But this time around I'm going to be a bit more planned and methodical, by removing everything I need from the sprues first, doing all of my clean up then moving onto the ordnance and landing gear first to try and keep momentum going later on in the build!

So this is where I started last night, in the lunge in front of the TV with SWMBO watching something ridiculously trashy on TLC, with a clean and empty bits tray.

IMAG0978_zpsrwy9xdg5.jpg

After a couple of hours I'm about half way there! :bangin:

IMAG0982_zps8w0k63xt.jpg

Should get a bit more time at this tonight and you never know I might have something substantial to show by the weekend. :D

Edit: A quick google around the web today as proven you should never trust revell, lol! No wonder I was struggling to find images, it's not JG73 'Mölders' but JG74 and the scheme as described in the instructions is wrong! :chair:

Edited by DannyB
  • Like 8

Thanks, I might need it! haha :)

I'll have a check tonight and post but I've got a feeling it's a standard revell mix up of their own colours. Fortunately for the line jet they've included the FS codes.

By the way what colour does revel say for the box art jet.

Just had a quick look and revell just lists the colours for the anniversary bird as matt black and matt carmin red.

I can scan you the scheme as shown on the AirDoc book on the German Phantom (or better, one of the books).

The scheme can also be found here:

http://www.afwing.com/intro/f4/book/camo/n90j_f4f.jpg

Judging from what I can see in the picture you posted of the instructions, Revell got this wrong.

Ooo yeah that would be really helpful, thank you!

Looking at that link, revell weren't too far off. Just missed the third grey on the underside, and messed up the side profile. Though I'm just hoping they were a bit more accurate with the desktop decals!

Thanks guys :)

After another couple of hours last night in front of the tv I finally got everything off the sprues!

Nice and empty, a point I either very rarely reach or isn't hit until near the end. :)

IMAG0984_zpsduingpja.jpg

And. a nice full bits box, this feels very weird and will lead to certainly an interesting build! :lol:

IMAG0983_zpsf4pkk7g9.jpg

• Like 4

It's a way of building that I first saw recommended on Diego Quijano's blog in the 'Basic Modelling Guide' articles, written by Ricardo Rodriguez. Here's the link to the first chapter of 12 - here - if you haven't read it I couldn't recommend it enough! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up Duncan. :)

Hahaha trust me it isn't normally like this!! Starting construction tonight so it'll either prove to be a stroke of genius or an utter disaster! :banghead:

• Like 1

Are those non-slatted outer wings going spare....?!

I think it was Giorgio N who suggested I could turn a Tamiya F4S into an F4J (UK)/F3 using the spare wings in the F4F Revell set as they are the same tool?

No worries if not!

I think it was Giorgio N who suggested I could turn a Tamiya F4S into an F4J (UK)/F3 using the spare wings in the F4F Revell set as they are the same tool?

No worries if not!

They are not the same tool - the Tamiya kit is a reboxed Italeri, whose basic 1/72nd F-4 mold dates from the early 1980s.

Panel lines are raised, as compared with the recessed RoG detailing. So, you could conceivably fit the RoG unslatted wings, but you'll need a rescribe of the basic airframe.

HTH,

Andre

• Like 1

OK thanks so it won't transplant?

This is what I was told:

F-4S: as I assume you're talking 1/72 scale, the tamiya kit is the same as Italeri's. This is an older kit with raised panel lines, not too bad though, I'd say go for it if it's cheap. As Enzo said, it has a slatted wing that the F-4J(UK) or whatever was called did not have. The wing can be modified to J standard, but with a number of F-4Js available on the market I would't bother. Unless you have a Revell F-4F in the stash: this comes with a set of non slatted outer wing sections that are not for use (part of the sprues in common with the RF-4E), these could be transplanted on the Italeri kit and make the conversion easier

OK thanks so it won't transplant?

Depending on what you're looking for as a result.

On the Italeri / Tamiya F-4S the underwing slat actuators are molded in situ, so these would have to come off.

Personally I would find a mismatch between outer wings with RoG's finely recessed panel lines and the rest of the kit with somewhat-crude-by-21st-century-standards raised panel lines not something I would appreciate in one of my models, but if you don't mind: I'd say go for it.

After all - it's a Phantom!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Hi Tim, if they are any help they're yours, they'll just be clogging up the spares box if not! :)

Unfortunately not too much to show this morning. Cleaning the car and gardening managed to get in the way of any serious modelling but I did start getting some paint down on the external stores. I've gone for mix colour wing tanks and a green underbelly tank for some interest, which with a bit of weathering should look pretty cool! :coolio:

Does anyone know what colour the aim-9s and aim-120's should be?! Revell call out some very strange colours and I can't seem to find a reference for the Luftwaffe or the timeframe. I'm currently looking at white sparrows with dark grey tips and grey amraams with white tips but I'm wobbling over if I've got this right!

• Like 2

AIM-9Ls would be light ghost grey, sometimes with white rear fins and a gunmetal forward section and front fins. AIM-120s light ghost grey with a white radome and gunmetal fins but be careful, they were only carried by ICE Phantoms. If it has a buff coloured radome it's AMRAAM capable, but even then I've hardly seen any pictures of German Phantoms carrying them so if you're modelling an everyday Spook you could probably get away with omitting them altogether.

• Like 1

That's really helpful! :thumbsup:

I was searching yesterday and just couldn't find the definitive answer, any reference was for the US spec and I wasn't sure if this was held up on German F-4's.

No worries if not!

Yes, it was me and the indication I gave is IMHO correct. Of course, there's still another lot of work to do and Andre is right that the new parts would have different panel lines. There are also some other things to change (removal of the underwing slat fairings being one). Having a set of non slatted outer wings will make the conversion easier, not necessarily immediate. In any case, should you want to do it, I'll be happy to give more information on the J/S differences.

Unfortunately not a huge much to show at the moment, wedding stuff has been getting in the way and I've not had much time at the desk. :banghead:

But, I have managed to get the stores and drop tanks done to a point I can put them to one side for the moment. :)

IMAG0987_zpsgligyex3.jpg

After seeing loads of reference photos with mix-match tanks I thought I'd give it a go for some visual interest. They all still need weathering as they use to get really filthy but I'm happy with how they are coming together.

Should be a bit more of a normal build fro now on with the cockpit up next.

• Like 9

Well after a cracking lang weekend, it's BIG update time! :thumbsup:

First up on the list was the cockpit. Seeing as I want to put a bit more in to the final 'look' of this one I've not put a huge amount of work in here. Just enough, along with the bang seats, to give a bit of busy-ness.

IMAG0993_zpskdtlepdt.jpg

IMAG0992_zpsfbfrefqu.jpg

And, once it was all bolted together.

IMAG0994_zpsvxjakblu.jpg

This took me to the end of the evening on Saturday, all ready to move forward.

The next big step was going to be bringing together all of the larger fuselage pieces, and finally it starts looking like it should do.

IMAG0995_zpsdj9dbnuv.jpg

I love how this kit fits together, with a bit of work and good amount of dry fitting, it really can be seamless. This it the underneath once it was glued in place.

IMAG0996_zpsalvfdl0z.jpg

A bit further down the line this is how I left things last night! :)

IMAG0998_zpslngmewxp.jpg

Next up is going to be masking and fitting the canopies and starting to get the start of the camo down.

I've got the splitter plates sprayed which will go in along with the intakes fronts once the camo is done around the cockpit. :)

Hope you like it!

• Like 9