1/72 Whirlwind (Helicopter) In Borneo, advice?

conor1939

Hello all,

Im interested in building a 1/72 Whirlwind set in Borneo during the 1960s, but my main problem is I don't know the first thing about the Whirlwind really.

1-1-2010_002_1_zpsvwedl0js.jpg

This is the sort, Im not sure what type of Whirlwind those are, I do note that they have drooped tails and I haven't seen any photos from Borneo without.

From what little Ive seen, I know this will take some converting. The only Whirlwind kits I can find at the moment are the old Airfix ones, but they have straight tails. I understand the Italeri H-19B has the right drooped tail but I also understand that they have become hen's teeth. I saw that Heritage Aviation sell a Tropical Nose for a Whirlwind, would that be suitable for Borneo?

So, in the current kit climate, where would I begin? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Conor

Am sure I have seen a vac conversion around but I can't recall who did it,worth keeping your eye open on ebay.i once converted an airfix kit with plastic card and filler,it came out ok.

Those look like the turbine-engine versions not just a "tropical" nose, so you're into rather more modifications - the drooped tail is after all fairly easy to produce. Look under "Whirlybirds" for possible conversions, but they also do a full kit of the HAR.Mk.10, which I think it the one in the above photo..

Am sure I have seen a vac conversion around but I can't recall who did it,worth keeping your eye open on ebay.i once converted an airfix kit with plastic card and filler,it came out ok.

Airmodel do one. The Mach 2 of vacforms.

Seeing this thread set me thinking and a quick check through the accessories drawer produced the Whirlwind HAR 9 conversion from Airwaves which seems to consist of the cabin top and a replacement nose. hth cheers chris

Actually still listed on Hannants as nose and lower fuselage for Navy types. Oh well you can't win them all

Edited by chris57
  • Like 1

There was a vacform fuselage designed to use Airfix Whirlwind 'bits' to make a Gnome powered version

I cant remember who made it sorry

I made mine without using any injection moulded parts except wheels, I'd love another to do

a3b69ff1-2b5b-4854-a26f-0815fee6c50d_zps

This was back in the mid eighties, I had a decent memory then :)

• Like 1

Whirlybird models do a number of full kits to produce Whirlwinds - http://www.whirlybirdmodels.comand RAFDec do a set of decals (https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RAF7211). I guess that the Whirly Bird kit is multi media - if you drop Roger a line asking for more details about what is included ( [email protected] ), he is normally very go at providing more details - the website is just slink to the pdf price list.

Pretty sure that the HAS7 version was also operating in Borneo in the early 60's so you would not need the turbine nose for that (but you would need the lower fuselage with the recess in it and a drooped tail). There was a Rotorcraft conversion for the HAS7, and Heritage do the lower fuselage. There are a number of small differences (strengthening strips adding, protuberances deleteing) that you would also need to do to turn the Italeri kit into a proper Westland.

Pat

A current-technology S-55/H-19/Whirlwind series is sorely needed in 1/72 and 1/48, I think. The only kits I can think of are the Ancient Revell offering and in 1/72, the (probably) equally old Airfix offering (oops, missed the Italeri kit posted above).

Edited by Don McIntyre
  • Like 2

Pretty sure that the HAS7 version was also operating in Borneo in the early 60's so you would not need the turbine nose for that (but you would need the lower fuselage with the recess in it and a drooped tail). There was a Rotorcraft conversion for the HAS7, and Heritage do the lower fuselage. There are a number of small differences (strengthening strips adding, protuberances deleteing) that you would also need to do to turn the Italeri kit into a proper Westland.

Pat

Yes HAS7 in overall light sand stone with seats replacing sonar set, operated till Wessex HAS1 arrived .

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

I've bought the Italeri H-19B which has the drooped tail, Im going to buy the Mk-10 Nose off of Heritage because I like the look of the longer snout ones better than the round ones haha. Once I have the two I'll see what needs to be done conversion-wise to the rest of the fuselage into a HAR-10.

I read the cockpit A-Frame on the H-19B kit has to be sanded away and polished. If I sand it with sandpaper, what would I use to polish it?

Cheers
Conor

I've bought the Italeri H-19B which has the drooped tail, Im going to buy the Mk-10 Nose off of Heritage because I like the look of the longer snout ones better than the round ones haha. Once I have the two I'll see what needs to be done conversion-wise to the rest of the fuselage into a HAR-10.

I read the cockpit A-Frame on the H-19B kit has to be sanded away and polished. If I sand it with sandpaper, what would I use to polish it?

Cheers

Conor

I may have a Heritage nose , will have a look over the weekend.

I don't recommend Brasso - as you sand the canopy it will introduce stress cracking, and the Brasso will enter all these cracks and make them stand out. You need to have a series of increasingly fine sanding sticks.

See if you can find a copy of scale aircraft modelling volume 2 number 8 (may 1980),there are scale plans and a conversion topic to build a west land whirlwind hard 10.it could be useful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cheers

Conor

After sanding with medium and used fine wet and dry, polish the clear part with hob brute ( for cleaning glass cooker tops and it's very slightly abrasive) followed by a final rub and polish with T-cut. Finish off with a coat of clear or quick shine floor finish ( an excellent alternative to clear by the way and readily available from lakelands stores) it's a very quick process and works a tray even on ba form canopies.