1/72 - Aérospatiale AS.350/550 Fennec/Squirrel/Ecureuil by Mach 2 - released

Homebee

Oh nice. The miku kit was limited produced a long time ago but have wanted one of these since day one getting back into the hobby

Now to wait to find out if it's the base model or the b2 or b3 version

Expecting for the usual crude molding, coarse detailing, awful plastic and exorbitant pricing for the value you get.

Somebody should inform Mr. Palix that owning a molding machine is not enough to learn to be a fine moldmaker.
No good news IMHO.

Luca

LIN

The crucial aspect of this kind of kits is that 1:72th scale is too small for them. It would be better using 1/48th. Just check out what did matchbox with the dolphin in 1:72. It's smaller than your hand...

Why is 1:72 too small? If you model in 1.72 you want kits in 1.72 no matter how big or small they are.

I have some OH-6s in 1.72 now they are small but I want them still as they are 1.72.

• Like 8

Why is 1:72 too small???

Please look closely at the newest Special Hobby AH-1G kit in 1:72:

http://www.mpmkits.eu/2014/07/ah-1g-cobra-kits-are-in-stock.html

Everything (everything!) is breathtakingly detailed. Even the 6 barrels on the miniguns, even the levers that hold the tiny wheels.

So I say - no, 1:72 is just right if the model kit manufacturer really knows his business.

Alex

• Like 6

To save me searching reference books can someone help me out here. I picked up a Miku Ecureil & two Fennecs some years back but they're ID'd as AS335 & AS355. Why the difference in the numbers?, compared to these issues. thanks gentlemen

Expecting for the usual crude molding, coarse detailing, awful plastic and exorbitant pricing for the value you get.

Somebody should inform Mr. Palix that owning a molding machine is not enough to learn to be a fine moldmaker.

No good news IMHO.

Luca

LIN

Haven't touched a Mach2 kit in a while. They didn't improve at all?

The crucial aspect of this kind of kits is that 1:72th scale is too small for them. It would be better using 1/48th. Just check out what did matchbox with the dolphin in 1:72. It's smaller than your hand...

Please elaborate: if you think that 1/48th would be better suited to Mach 2's machinery, have you imagined for a moment how the extensive glazing of the Ecureuil would come out in a even bigger reproduction?? The clear parts are already not so clear in 1/72 even after extensive treating, in a bigger scale they would be simply unacceptable.

The truth is that there are no kind words one can say about a producer who hasn't succeded in doing anything better in the last 20 or more years: I purchased their Convair Sea Dart in the first 90s and it is the same quality you get with any new issue, not only the plastic parts but also poor decals, sketchy instructions, flimsy boxes... everything is always the same so it's clear that the owner doesn't feel anything should be changed, it's not only a problem of production tools.

Many say that a poor kit is better than no kit, though I can't subscribe to this point of view: in this way you fill a market void and any chance for a better product to be issued is greatly reduced. Also, it's not a problem of being modellers or assemblers: you can throw how much time you like in building one of these kits but the result will be at best an average model unless you rebuild everything and if you have to do that it's called scratchbuilding.

Fabio

• Like 1

Nobody has seen any parts yet but the modelers have nothing better to do than to complain.

Obviously bigger manufacturers keep their fingers away from an Ecureuil/Squirrel for whatever reason. So there was Miku - what you got there was more something of a caricature of an Ecureuil - Dimensions and Proportions were awkward. Mach 2 makes such mistakes sometimes as well but I think they will get it better than Miku.

And why 1:48? There are better kits, but the Heller kit is still useable...

I suppose a modeller who considers to buy a Mach 2 product knows what he will get in the end. The Miku kit is around for 2-3 times the price of the Mach 2 kit and you will have no real advantage with it.

Yes, I'm afraid of the clear parts and curious how he (M. Palix) will do the rather delicate starflex rotorhead.

But overall, I'm happy at first that somebody will do an Ecureuil! If it'll be crap - I can also stay away from a purchase then.

Edited by troschi

To save me searching reference books can someone help me out here. I picked up a Miku Ecureil & two Fennecs some years back but they're ID'd as AS335 & AS355. Why the difference in the numbers?, compared to these issues. thanks gentlemen

Hi chris! The as 335 is and old version of the 355. They are both twin engine because of the last 5 in the id code ( the as 350 is a single engine).

Regarding to the 1/72 vs 1/48 scale i just wanted to say i prefer 1:48 simply because i think that using 1:72 scale for helicopters with a total length between 10 and 13 meters is...i don't know how to say...i mean, i just don't like it. I'm building the 365N3 by kitty hawk i'm enjoying it much more than what i did with the matchbox one. Obviously is always a personal opinion guys.

But i have to say one thing: putting the dauphin by trumpeter in 1:48 next to a real dauphin photo i can confirm the matchbox is way better: the trumpeter has only the name "dauphin" that makes it a dauphin. Shapes and dimensions are totally wrong. So if the 1:72 ecureuil is accurate in terms of proportion, then it could be a good choice.

Nb: i work on 365n3.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...