Airfix Albion Refueller - a look in the box

John

Delivered today having been on pre-order with Airfix:

Albion1_zpsajzqoxwd.jpg

First impressions are of a kit similar in design to the Bedford but more complex and with fewer out of the box alternatives:

Albion4_zpsvcji2yw2.jpg

Albion3_zpsalsrv817.jpg

Albion5_zpszgcioje3.jpg

Albion6_zpsxwrjfu56.jpg

Albion7_zps8mzdnlk5.jpg

Albion8_zpsooisasrk.jpg

Albion9_zpshfio7qgq.jpg

Albion10_zpskkhaqckx.jpg

Markings are supplied for one fairly anonymous RAF vehicle in G3/G4:

Albion2_zpsrxvqosdi.jpg

All in all a very impressive package.

John

• Like 1

A trawl through the paint box uncovers an elderly tin of Humbrol 112 Field Blue, which is one of Mike Starmer's suggestions for RAF Blue Grey. I think that might be how I'll finish the Albion - the first one, at least! I'm really getting into these 1/48th scale trucks.

Albion11_zpsqkcjf2a2.jpg

Better clean the cat hair off the in though...

John

• Like 3

Humbrol 112 Tarmac is fine but for the kit scheme the basic colour should be Khaki Green 3 NOT H86. For Khaki Green 3: mix 5 x H155 + 1 x H10. this will need matt varnish over it when dry. Humbrol 30 is nothing like Dark Green No.4, use H75 if pushed but this is a bit too grey, OK as faded though.

• Like 6

Posted this in the WWII aircraft, but though might be appropriate here as well....

well know shot, but some points, and is that an Albion refueller?

Photo is 85 Squadron, Peter Townsend in P3166 VY-Q, Castle Camps, July 1940, due to be featured on a new Xtradecal sheet.

More on 85 Sq here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234907653-hurricane-i-vy-cg-of-85-sqn-lille-seclin-around-apr-1940/

Funny, now I look at the above pic again, I actually pay attention to the refueller... to my untrained eye this looks like an Albion refueller?

Graham Boak confirms it is.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981324-airfix-albion-refueller-a-look-in-the-box/

also just kitted by Airfix, note correct paint colours in link, and here note how easy it would be to do this

New numbeplate, and the '100' I presume for 100 octane fuel?

large.jpg

Note first aid kit strapped on back of panel, the mixed exhaust stain, lighter round edges, from running a lean mixture, and the distinctive oil stains on the UC doors.

EDIT

while searching away....I start paying more attention!

RAF_Fighter_Command_1940_HU104489.jpg

Not paid attention to this one before, but the the neatly painted fabric over gun ports, plus some neat refueller details

RAF_Fighter_Command_1940_HU104490.jpg

Graham Boak points out the unusual fitting on the rear hub.

The fitting on the rear axle looks odd - it appears like the later standardised parts for lifting onto ships but they'd be required on the front axle too.

• Like 1

Looking at the photo above that shows the inside of the Albion's control cabinet with the fuel valves and gauges, I'm thinking the visible wall looks a bit light for either RAFBG or a camouflage finish? You can see the same effect here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=89565&d=1396824345&thumb=1

John

Edited to say and possibly in this trailer too?

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/CH_001357-2.jpg

The fitting on the rear wheel is a drum for self-winching the vehicle out of soft ground, or unditching.

We were supplied with one for a rear wheel on our PO vans as late as the '70s.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Humbrol 112 Tarmac is fine but for the kit scheme the basic colour should be Khaki Green 3 NOT H86. For Khaki Green 3: mix 5 x H155 + 1 x H10. this will need matt varnish over it when dry. Humbrol 30 is nothing like Dark Green No.4, use H75 if pushed but this is a bit too grey, OK as faded though.

Just looked up the Tamiya mixes I have for these colours, which are more of Mike Starmer's mixes

Tamiya mix Nobels Khaki Green No.3/ G3 & Dark Green

Just what the new Bronco kit owners need. Khaki Green 3 was the new basic colour from mid-1939 till phased out in 1941. But also may be used as an alternative colour in lieu of Slate 34 in the Caunter scheme.

Mix: - 3 pts XF62 olive drab + 2 pts XF59 desert yellow.

The resulting colour is slightly less rich than a sample matched to an original motorcycle part and slightly less brown than on a steel helmet in original colour, so a good average.

Dark Green G4: - mix 3 x XF61 + 2 pts XF58. No original colour found; yet.

This was the colour specified in MTP 20 for use in scheme 1 for 'average European conditions'. This colour is matched to the colour that I use over Khaki Green 3 and which is based on the use of complimenary hues and low contrast values seen on numerous contemporary photographs and what few colour photographs exist for 1940 period vehicles.

HTH

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

There are several potential conversions for this kit, here are two . . . others being tractor unit and at a push, chassis and front end for the Ambulance.

Below, you can just make out the 'X' panel on the rear body of the GS tender

23976122822_40bdafd6fc_z.jpg

23716562479_597da706f9_z.jpg

23718239839_82fcf8c3fc_z.jpg

23976124982_a9223a2a29_z.jpg

I am hoping to get these finished quite soon . . .

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

Managed to do a bit on these . . . .

23530712493_604c6ed5ae_z.jpg

On the smaller scale, I tended to build a box around a rear body and wrapped a tilt onto the vehicle concerned but on this larger scale I thought I would try for the 'hoops' that made up the tilt frame. Only when this stage is completed and the tilt put on will I know if it looks good . . .

23861857460_2d53f1a9cf_z.jpg

• Like 1

Centaur 95

One of several bodies built as an Ambulance on the Albion chassis, I am seriously considering building one.

The basic components are in the kit, chassis, radiator grill, running gear, just need the body from the back of the engine to scratch . . .

thanks for looking in

Ian

There are several potential conversions for this kit, here are two . . . others being tractor unit and at a push, chassis and front end for the Ambulance.

Below, you can just make out the 'X' panel on the rear body of the GS tender

I am hoping to get these finished quite soon . . .

Ian

This is great work Ian

do you have plans for these, or did you work by eye. This would be of interest to the members over on Track48, the 1/48 armour forum.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829

Sleeper Service [Nick Perry] is now one of the mods there.

Have you any mods planned for the Bedford?

Finally, what colours did you use? The Airfix specified ones, or mixes? Just from the pics the green looks like Humbrol 30.

see post above for acrylic mixes for Tamiya and Humbrol http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981324-airfix-albion-refueller-a-look-in-the-box/#entry2011725)

cheers

T

Troy

You are correct, I did work with the Mk.1 eyeball but I could draw up a basic plan with measurements, no idea how to get it onto the other site.

You are also correct with MY colour scheme, basic Hu30. It is my preferred choice, I don't get to hung up about the precise colour, there was a war on and from what I understand of the situation on the 'Home Front', paint was in short supply and in particular, my direction is home RAF and they were painted, as used to camouflage buildings, with paint that was readily available. Home RAF vehicles were re-painted on a 'as when'. When the 'Mickey Mouse' scheme was introduced in late 1943, vehicles were gradually re-painted over a period of time so as you can imagine, over a period of time there was more than one scheme of differing colours and schemes.

Bedford MWD

I should like to see one as a Wireless Service/Repair van similar to the Morris seen in the film 'Night Bombers'