Hasegawa F-4F, 1/72, Norm '72

After aborting my Testor's spook (the horror... THE HORROR...) I found this F-4EJ Kai without its box in the stash.

I'll be adding the outer wings from another F-4S and I know there are some unslotted stabs in the spares box, as well as some RoG IPs. Pictures of the Airdoc decals and scheme will follow. Yes, it's going to be Norm '72 but I'm planning something a little bit different.

IMAG0857.jpg

• Like 7

Yes, it's going to be Norm '72 but I'm planning something a little bit different.

Nice choice. It wouldn't happen to be in the same markings as the one in your avatar would it?

Sean

I did the one in my avatar (badly) last year, and as I have so many Revell Spooks in the stash I really should do all the late '70s experimental schemes!

But this time I'll be doing 38+38 in this livery.

IMAG0858_1.jpg

• Like 9

I made a start on the fuselage, and those photo flash cartridge ejectors. I don't much care for this as I can seldom get the cover plates to sit right. Drilling a hole allows me to adjust the fit as best I can but either way there will be filling and sanding.

IMAG0859_1.jpg

• Like 3

Rear fuselage together, spine sanded and rescribed. The rivet detail was a bit on the vague side but I won't be restoring it. I really should have done it before I started sticking it all together... I also have to scribe the IFR panel as I'm doing a jet from 1984, very much post "Peace Rhine" modifications where that capability was restored. Although speaking of fuel the dump mast on the tail could do with being tidied up. The fin-mounted pitot has been removed and gaps filled.

Then it was on to the bottom wings! The unnecessary lumps and bumps were removed although I wonder why they were there in the first place when all the other options were included as extra parts. The holes drilled for pylons and the slat actuators installed. As for the blanking plates for where the catapult hooks would go, the instructions would have you add these towards the end of the build but as with the photo flash covers it's easier to adjust them from behind. 38+38 was just carrying an F-15 style belly tank in the picture I'm using for reference so the wing tank pylon holes have been left alone.

IMAG0864.jpg

• Like 4

Forgive the poor quality of the shot, but here's what I'm going for.

IMAG0867_1.jpg

So I've got the fuselage together, after a bad experience with my last Hasegawa Phantom I decided to attach each half of the forward fuselage to the main airframe independently of eachother, and alignment has been a lot better. The sidewalls got a lick of Vallejo 990 Light Grey and the cockpit will be inserted from below. In the foreground is the WSO's IP from the Revell kit, I found I had a painted one in the spares box (I hope this is allowed!) I'm using the kit decals for the rest of the cockpit as this bird will be all buttoned up. After all, the fit and shape of Hasegawa's canopies is far superior to that of Revell's.

IMAG0865.jpg

• Like 9

Coming together really well! And I love the subject you want to reproduce; it will be very interesting to see how you weather her.

Ciao

• Like 1

I wish I'd taken more time painting my IP's now that I've seen yours :goodjob:

You've also answered a question I had about the A to A refuelling capability of the Luftwaffe Tooms too (so I'll have to rescribe my one).

I'm beginning to get a taste for these Luftwaffe Tooms.

Duncan B

I wish I'd taken more time painting my IP's now that I've seen yours :goodjob:

You've also answered a question I had about the A to A refuelling capability of the Luftwaffe Tooms too (so I'll have to rescribe my one).

I'm beginning to get a taste for these Luftwaffe Tooms.

Duncan B

Thanks for the kind words! I only painted the rear IP as I was certain it was from an F-4F, everything else was the Hasegawa decals. Indeed, Revell may have only used an I.C.E. Phantom as their pattern so it could still be wrong for my machine.

Be careful about the refuelling panel, that upgrade happened in the late seventies / early eighties as far as I know. As the old saying goes "check your references"!

• Like 1

Work has stalled on this one, for some reason Hasegawa Phantoms and I don't get along so well. All my own fault, you understand but I'm forming a rather controversial opinion:

They're not all they're cracked up to be. Accurate in shape, yes but for some reason I just struggle with them.

Anyway, to restore the old mojo I'm throwing a Revell F-4F together quickly. Should I add it to the GB?

Anyway, to restore the old mojo I'm throwing a Revell F-4F together quickly. Should I add it to the GB?

I don't see why you couldn't add it to the build. The more Phantoms the better in my opinion! :D

Sean

• Like 1

Work has stalled on this one, for some reason Hasegawa Phantoms and I don't get along so well. All my own fault, you understand but I'm forming a rather controversial opinion:

They're not all they're cracked up to be. Accurate in shape, yes but for some reason I just struggle with them.

They are dam fiddly! I guess thats the price you pay for 1 basic kit to do all the marks, I always find (particularly with the long nosed variants) most joints need some sort of work which kinda makes the build really drag on. Still glad they are around though. Do the Revell F-4F as well :), makes for some comparisons and I'm glad I'm doing it as I have always wondered about the Revell kit (price vs quality and all that) but it has concreted in my mind that the Hasegaa kit no doubt makes a more accurate representation.

Look forward to more,

David.

• Like 1

They are dam fiddly! I guess thats the price you pay for 1 basic kit to do all the marks, I always find (particularly with the long nosed variants) most joints need some sort of work which kinda makes the build really drag on. Still glad they are around though. Do the Revell F-4F as well :), makes for some comparisons and I'm glad I'm doing it as I have always wondered about the Revell kit (price vs quality and all that) but it has concreted in my mind that the Hasegaa kit no doubt makes a more accurate representation.

Look forward to more,

David.

The Revell kit's overall shape issues are legendary. And that's being kind! However its detail, fit (not including the canopies) and sheer ease of building make it one of my favourite kits ever. It's divided up the same way as the Hasegawa kit but for some reason it just falls together beautifully. The shortcomings are less pronounced in 1/72nd scale but you have to leave the canopies open.

• Like 2

The Revell kit's overall shape issues are legendary........The shortcomings are less pronounced in 1/72nd scale but you have to leave the canopies open.

Oh well, that means I'll have to make more of an effort to get my cockpit interior a bit more presentable (I usually hide them under a closed canopy). I have some spare Fujimi open canopies at home, will they fit the Revell kit if left in the open position?

Duncan B

Oh well, that means I'll have to make more of an effort to get my cockpit interior a bit more presentable (I usually hide them under a closed canopy). I have some spare Fujimi open canopies at home, will they fit the Revell kit if left in the open position?

Duncan B

I'd try closing them and see what happens! I have a few Fujimi spooks in the stash, the canopies look alright and you might be able to shoehorn them into the Revell kit.

• Like 1