Mozzy's interpretation of Black Mike is complete

While I won't get going for a little while, these 2 are my potential entries.

image.jpg2_zpsatn656go.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsvd9sp47g.jpg

If I've got the time I'll do both, but I don't know which one to give priority. :hmmm:

Sean :pilot:

• Like 5

When I did Black Mike from the Hasegawa lit, I found the decals were really poor, with really bad silvering that would not go. I hope you have better luck with yours.

Naturally, the F-4F kit should be in Norm 72.

Ted

• Like 2

When I did Black Mike from the Hasegawa lit, I found the decals were really poor, with really bad silvering that would not go. I hope you have better luck with yours.

Ted

The plastic sleeve under the etch has some Xtradecal Black Mike decals in it so I'll probably use those instead of the kit ones.

Sean

German test scheme for me!

more phreaky!

The orange brute it is then! http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4F/2317717/L/&sid=cd0a063fca18ff50588ec2be8d432364

It might be joined by Black Mike and if I'm doing really well, there may also be a blue FGR2 snooping about somewhere... :D

Sean

Excellent choice, i built one in this scheme a couple of years ago.

I used Halfords Volkswagen orange for the main colour, which is a good match.

Antony

Thanks for the tip Antony, I was wondering what paint would be a good match.

Sean

This is how mine came out, sorry to hijack your threadDSCF2617.jpg

Antony

Nice result! No problem with the hijack, it'll probably be a while before I get going with it anyway... :)

Sean

• 1 month later...

Right, a slight change of plan. I'm going to do Black Mike first because time is of the essence and I find pure black finishes easier to produce. If I have time, I will do the Orange German as well. :)

I started on the cockpit this morning, maybe I'll get some pictures later.

Sean

• Like 2

Ok, here's what happened today. I started with the cockpit and added some tape seatbelt's on the ejection seat. Not my best effort at them, but they look ok through the canopy. I then painted everything up and closed the fuselage. While all that was setting I constructed the wings which went together fairly well, although one required quite a few clamps to hold it together. Then the fuselage and wings were joined together and the canopy fitted. Everything was then given a shot of primer tonight after I'd sorted the seams. I'll let that all dry properly overnight.

image.jpg6_zpsk2hbjrxg.jpg

image.jpg1_zps9z75lzem.jpg

image.jpg4_zps9haokdhb.jpg

image.jpg3_zpshznpkbvq.jpg

image.jpg2_zps5xul8dkv.jpg

image.jpg8_zpsfuankshy.jpg

image.jpg9_zps7hfpuey7.jpg

image.jpg7_zpslmjb57nf.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsbkcmx93b.jpg

More tomorrow,

Sean :pilot:

• Like 3

Re-primed as a few seams popped up overnight. Then painted the wheel wells and landing gear.

image.jpg1_zpsvzg7fjtc.jpg

image.jpg3_zpslafjybqz.jpg

While this update isn't exciting I thought I'd share a pic of one I'd done earlier (last year).

image.jpg2_zpsbs5jazfu.jpg

Sean

And now it's Black Mike!

image.jpg2_zpsabvkamii.jpg

image.jpg1_zps1jhhakwj.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsbclaqjp0.jpg

I gave it a base coat of matt black over the primer and then 2 coats of gloss black. It still needs another gloss coat or 2 to really get the shine of the original.

Sean

• Like 1