Italeri Stirling Mk.I N6086 MacRoberts Reply

John...after all this sanding I reckon mines about spot on now ! (though maybe something else is off as a consequence :shutup: ).., must admit I thought the shape a tad off when first I shoved the fuselage halves together..now what's next I wonder ?

I'm getting a drawing sent through to me which has the profiles between frames 9 and 36 which are pretty constant. I have immense problems with uploading photos to here and TBH I haven't got a photobucket/Flickr account anyway, so if I scan it and send it to you would you mind uploading it on my behalf?

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Trevor,

If you're referring to the build, modelling on the Woody front has temporarily dried up due to an impending house move. My goal is to have it finished for Telford, but life on a 1/1 scale is taking priority. Don't you just hate it when that happens? lol

Have to say though, a BC Sig meet up with John on the Stirling project in August will no doubt inject a new lease of enthusiasm for all concerned :)

• Like 1

Hi Trevor,

If you're referring to the build, modelling on the Woody front has temporarily dried up due to an impending house move. My goal is to have it finished for Telford, but life on a 1/1 scale is taking priority. Don't you just hate it when that happens? lol

Have to say though, a BC Sig meet up with John on the Stirling project in August will no doubt inject a new lease of enthusiasm for all concerned :)

I should hope it does, I'm hoping that by the time of your visit the 2nd Pilots seat beam assembly will be complete and painted :)

John

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm getting a drawing sent through to me which has the profiles between frames 9 and 36 which are pretty constant. I have immense problems with uploading photos to here and TBH I haven't got a photobucket/Flickr account anyway, so if I scan it and send it to you would you mind uploading it on my behalf?

John

Looking fwd to seeing this data, any news on this ?

Merlin

• 2 months later...

Well after what seems like an eternity of being packed up for a house move and being cut off fromt internet for over 4 weeks, things are beginning to come back on line. Managed to get a dedicated man cave sorted in the new house which is a pleasant change from getting dirty looks for using the dining room table! Here is the new space. Still more to do yet, but we have the basics...a table!

37_zpszjgvzehe.jpg

38_zpsc3qecnxp.jpg

Hoping to get some more work done on the Stirling this week as it needs to be ready for Telford.

The modelling gap was filled by a visit to John and the team to view the fantastic progress with the Stirling Project with the BC Sig lads as General Melchie posted some time back.

I'm bored of 1/1 scale stuff (alas decorating) and looking forwards to getting back to 1/72!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 9

Nice to see you back mate,......and hope to see some updates on your Stirling,......we`ve all been as busy as usual while you were away! Hope the house move went as well as can be expected as wasn`t too stressful,.....nice garden by the way and a man cave at last,....yeah!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Managed to do a bit of modelling over the weekend. Got the nacelles and carb intakes fitted. Italeri didn't really want us to remove the engine parts from the sprues, they were dogs to cut away, especially with the 'X' sprues inside the round parts to retain their shape. The exhausts and collector rings are dry fitted for now as the engines will need fitting before final fitment. The ailerons have had all the detail sanded off as it was imaginary and them positioned slightly off centre to add some interest. Further sanding of the surfaces and primer top ups has reduced the panel lines further, I'm happy with the way it looks now. Here's a quick shot of how it looks today...

39_zpswqjgmr4v.jpg

• Like 9

I found a bit of Mr Surfacer was pretty helpful

I was about to suggest same. Which specific Mr Surfacer did you use? Was it adequate?

I have the venerable Airfix Stirling bought before the release of Italeri's as must have to complete the trio BC heavies. Part way constructed, I plan on patiently reducing those convex panel lines and rivets with wet & dry before following up with Mr Surfacer. She may not end up the silk purse, but looking less like a sow's ear will suffice as the realistic objective. The Dave Brown tractor and bomb trolleys add a nice touch in drawing the lay eye away from any detail deficiency.

Seems the panel lines are like the Sunderland then ? Nice work so far though and the man cave looks like a great place to work.

Guy

Great to see you back in the land of the living Neil...and I'm also pleased to see that you're at the same place with your Stirling as I am with mine...(had an 'orrible feeling I was last as usual !)

Like the man cave...makes all the difference doesn't it ...

Hi Andy, glad I'm not last too, was beginning to feel that way with lack of activity! The man cave is fantastic. Most of the modelling tools are in the drawers so there's no excuse for it to become a mess...although we all know how that will turn out! Just got a TV and sound system sorted, there's no reason to leave the room!

Seems the panel lines are like the Sunderland then ? Nice work so far though and the man cave looks like a great place to work.

Guy

Cheers Guy, The panel lines are excessive, but they should be OK when the paint is on after the treatment they've had.

I've taken the masking off the cockpit area and it's looking quite good now. Hopefully, I'll get a photo later.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Great job Woody, one of our members brought his finished Stirling this month to our club meet, and it looked great, I think he filled in the trench lines.

May be you could start up a new forum on views from the modelling desk

• Like 1

Hi Neil, regarding natural light in you new study, is it south or north facing? If the former you might want to consider, that is if you haven't already a venitian blind. Definitely not the vertical veriety they're a pain. My study is north facing so in summer I get a lot of light and it needs to be controlled so the blind slats alow that. I've a white thermo wood one with 60mm blades which works extreamly well but a light grey ali one would do just as good.

JMTPW.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Neil. Good to see this project back underway again! ....and I am not in the slightest bit envious of your new work area..............(can you tell I'm lying here.......... :jealous: ) Very Nice!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1