Italeri Stirling Mk.I N6086 MacRoberts Reply

Looking good Neil, nice idea with the curtains I was going to use metal foil but might well follow suite. Looking at a few interior shots it seems that the 1st pilots armour plate was often hinged back down behind the seat which I might do as something different.

Mine's being done, (very slowly) between more pressing builds and am still sanding away all those panel lines and rivets....it's taking a lot of wet and dry !! Think it's time to crack on with the cockpit before I lose the will to live....

Looking forwards to seeing it Andy. I've settled on the Mr Surfacer or Tippex solution for dealing with the panel lines. Still got the moveable surfaces to tackle mine due, may use car filler to level those off as they really stepped things up when moulding some surface detail in to them.

I had a look at one of these kits at our club night on Tuesday, it looks a very nice kit, but those panel lines are shocking, just wondering if a blast of Halfords filler primer might help

I just used plenty of layers and sanding on the Sunderland I built a few years ago and I think that's the approach Melchie is taking with his Stirling.

Neil, Not saying you've got it wrong but I can't uderstand why the curtains would be white if it was a night bomber??? I don't model WWII so I might be in the dark. Sorry!

Colin

Colin, they may not be white, but they are certainly a light colour - grey, beige, tan or something as per Chris's photo's.

• Like 2

Hi

A few years ago I was talking to a Halibag Wireless Op and he told me he opened the curtains on his first operation, "you know, just so I could see what it was like. Bloody frightened the life out of me and I never did it again." So they had their uses. Nice going Woody

Regards

Paul

• Like 2

I'm still wrestling with the concept of a military aircraft with curtains at all, let alone the colour. Did it have a nice little recliner covered in chintz and perhaps a coffee table for the poor long-suffering Navigator?

The Wessex had curtains over the roof glazing... but as WAFU's, we'll not mention that. I'm sure there were many more.

Colin

The Wessex had curtains over the roof glazing... but as WAFU's, we'll not mention that. I'm sure there were many more.

Colin

Those were blinds or shades. Entirely different; much more operational and manly.

I do like the idea of an inferior RLM tea cosy, though.

P.S. Sorry for thread hijack. Always had a soft spot for the Stirling since building the (?Airfix?) one in the late-60s when I were a small boy. Yours is in an altogether different league

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

Talking of curtains, tea cosy's and other domestic fittings, is that a two ring cooker between the radio op and nav?

I saw that but didn't like to ask, baked beans and sausages during flight, maybe... Night flying suppers takes on whole new meaning.

Sorry Neil, we're hi-jacking your thread.

Colin

Maybe they carried all the conveniences over from the Sunderland! I suspect the curtains were vital when you're flying through searchlights and flak. And we'll, cooked sausages are always needed!

Shorts always did their best to help out the crews, a leftover from the glorious flying boat days.....I believe there was a full cocktail bar with waiter service amidships, (return flights only) and fully equipped spa, heated swimming pool and home cinema at the back....this may of course have contributed somewhat to the poor service ceiling !

• Like 4

lol, the limousine of Bomber Command!

Whilst working on the Italeri one, it's time to correct the airfix one from a few years ago. In my naivety at the time, I made a B.i/III all in one! The oil coolers are being removed from the wings as they are under the nacelles on the Mk.III and some of the windows are being removed. A fiddly job on a completed kit, but fingers crossed, it will look fine when done...

27_zpsjgubrynv.jpg

• Like 13

That is a lovely shot of the Stirling Neil, I like it that the painting crew left the ladder up when they finished the masking

Hope they get it right with none of that careless overspray we've all seen from uncaring 'erks

:)

b

• Like 1

Maybe they carried all the conveniences over from the Sunderland! I suspect the curtains were vital when you're flying through searchlights and flak. And we'll, cooked sausages are always needed!

Sorry Neil, been on my hols :pilot:

Mks I to IV Stirlings did not have a galley in that position :banghead: , in fact no galley at all......everything that they put in the kit for that area is a bit spurious.

I suspect that Italeri have found a pic of the rear of the cockpit bulkhead and put 2+2 together etc.....that area was set aside for a water tank stowage

Looking great otherwise though mate

Hi John,

You've confused me now mate, what bits are we talking about, the above was a joke, there's no cooker, microwave or anything in it, honest guv!

Hope you had a good holiday :)

I was reluctant to pull out the rubber gloves Andy, the missus catches me wearing enough strange looking attachments through this hobby :lol:

Managed to get it fully over the line to a Mk.III bar any minor bits I may of not noticed, just the repairs to do now resulting from the handling. Edit. Just noticed the large lower window on the RH fuselage below the cockpit should of been removed too. Bummer!

Paul, unless I drop it doing these last bits, it will be there!

28_zpso9bk4lve.jpg

Cheers

• Like 9

Hi Neil

I seriously think that Italeri thought there was a galley aft of the cockpit bulkhead. The cupboard (painted black on yours) and the item that to all intents and purpose looks like a 2 ring cooker were not fitted there. That area was set aside for storage and on the floor, the beam approach receiver crate, for what it's worth WEM made the same mistake. You won't be able to see it on your finished example anyway, but it's a cautionary note for future builders.

cheers John

Ah, I understand now, I thought they were fans for the electronic equipment inside...if they needed fans in those day?

So Italeri really did think it was a cooker? Surprised they left the curtains off if they did!

At least it's out of sight, I'll leave it there :)

Cheers

One thing that is confusing me is that there are slots under the nacelles where the oil coolers would go on a Mk.III, but there are no parts to fair these slots over for a Mk.I nor is anything mentioned in the instructions. Is this an oversight?

16_zpsa6crf0ed.jpg