Italeri Stirling Mk.I N6086 MacRoberts Reply

Thanks for pointing out the bomb bay doors in the wings, that would of been my next mistake!

Ha...this is where these forums come into their own ! so I'll risk saying it ........'I think that might be the worst of the things over now'...oh one thing I did Neil was reshape the ends of the ailerons as I didn't like the look of the straight edges, (even Airfix got that right, should be curved back) so I carved some off and added resin to the wing tip trailing edges to match, also had to fill the missing 'gill' cowl sections underneath the engine nacelles...it goes ever on !

• Like 1

Ha...this is where these forums come into their own ! so I'll risk saying it ........'I think that might be the worst of the things over now'...oh one thing I did Neil was reshape the ends of the ailerons as I didn't like the look of the straight edges, (even Airfix got that right, should be curved back) so I carved some off and added resin to the wing tip trailing edges to match, also had to fill the missing 'gill' cowl sections underneath the engine nacelles...it goes ever on !

I wish you was on the desighn team for these kits or you should become the go to person (for a fee of course) to go over the final design before molds are cut to get it right. It would be a god send I am surprised there is not more consultation from knowledgable people as part of the research but I guess it all comes down to production budgets and time scales (and human error)

• Like 1

We (The Stirling Project) did offer our assistance but it was politely declined; they seemed to think they knew best LOL

Well more fool them John, I'm guessing they'd already got so far with the thing that they didn't want to acknowledge any errors by that stage !....

Yet another thing I've come across tonight, while attaching the two blade aerials under the nose...I couldn't help noticing that they are rather massive, over scale and look quite odd, the pitots being like two household plumbing pipes. I've scratched some new ones to where they should be for a Mk.1, (again Airfix were much nearer the mark) and altered the angle for them to fit properly....I don't know, what year is this ? :deadhorse:

DSC_0178-001_zpsbqww5rxn.jpg

I wish you was on the design team for these kits or you should become the go to person (for a fee of course) to go over the final design before molds are cut to get it right

Rob, they couldn't afford me ! :coolio: ....trouble is nothing would ever get finished !... though seriously some companies, AvantGarde and Modelsvit spring to mind as companies that really go to town on the accuracy and correct detail issues and give us fickle modeller types what we really want and are happy to pay for..... so yes it can be done....

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

Well more fool them John, I'm guessing they'd already got so far with the thing that they didn't want to acknowledge any errors by that stage !....

Yet another thing I've come across tonight, while attaching the two blade aerials under the nose...I couldn't help noticing that they are rather Massive, way over scale and look quite odd, the pitots look like household plumbing pipes. I've scratched some new ones to where they should be for a Mk.1, (again Airfix were much nearer the mark) and altered the angle for them to fit properly....I don't know, what year is this ? :deadhorse:

DSC_0178-001_zpsbqww5rxn.jpg

Makes you wonder how they go about making models from searching for drawings of V Bombers online I am amazed at the amount of rubbish drawings that look way off in many respects that are taken as gospel with no consideration given to look at the real deal it seems. Occasionally you get good drawings and they are nice when you do. Bentley we all know are in a different league of their own. But. You think the Stirling Project would be your first point of call when starting a project such as this.

Sorry for the little rant but I can see both sides of the issue I am happy to build whatever out the box but yet I do have an eye for detail and when its a plane I love I find it hard to ignore it and find fun in doing corrections. Nothing's perfect but the technology and research options available today with the sheer amount of wonderful fitting detailed kits with laughable errors begars belief when older cruder models often are far more accurate than modern offerings.

I had it a guess in the past more people with a passion for it where involved with passion over profit being the thing that drove them on. Today the business model is well just business I guess time contraints and budget limited hence the minefields we have on offer.

Still we have a nice new mostly great Stirling but I will still be building and airfix too as it seems the choice is over surface detail and canopy improvements with the most part of the budget going on a lavish interior never to be seen.

I will stand back from the keypad now ! Ahha

• Like 1

By now, I'm sure, none of us would go to Italeri for an accurate model

Yes they do provide a basic 'somessssing' but beggar me auntie, it seems to be always very basic

I know that historically that was basically the Airfix approach too , but that was in a different time and another country

Ho and even hum on we go, I can't complain. I'd already got Italeri sussed when I let the missus buy me their Apache

:)

• Like 3

Dont know old bean, with me its more likely Bob Heinlein

Or Perfessor Pratchett bless'im

or yes maybe Mr Marlowe

I'm a great one for hotchptches of literary stuff

for all I remember it could even be a Procopius ref.

:)

• Like 1

Wearing nowt but a luminous balaclava and a cigarette !

Thought so when is your next batch of war elephants and water biscuits due. I know you have your own way of fighting a war General. I would not be Surprised if General Melchett become the next FIFA president lol

• Like 1

Colin, the cockpit shot was the Generals, I'm too much of a clumsy coward to even contemplate sticking those fiddly bits on!

I tackled the turrets and small windows the same as Andy. The lower dangly bits in the front turret were cut off and the lip was standard away so that I can slide the turret in and out. I used a curved and round needle file to tidy the small windows up once drilled and trimmed out.

Thanks for pointing out the bomb bay doors in the wings, that would of been my next mistake!

Oooooops General, my apologies... brain fade again!!!

Colin

• Like 1

Late to this party Woody,what a superb job so far,great stuff,as a known tight wad this kit,s out of my comfort zone,what are your thoughts

on having a go at the Airfix one? my LMS is knocking them out cheap right now.

Hi Steve,

The airfix one is a blank canvas IMO as the interior detail is minimal, I'd recommend getting the Falcon canopy set and the exterior benefits from a sanding and rescribe. OOB, the Italeri kit is years ahead as you'd expect.

This is the build thread from mine a few years ago with lots of tips, although be aware that I literally did a Mk.I/III from the box which I've now corrected!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913167-airfix-stirling/

Managed to get the paint on this one today and quite pleased with the result, hardly any touching up to do. Tomorrow morning I'll get some pictures followed by a follow up with some Kleer and the decals on. It's then on to the smaller bits :)

Cheers

Me too Andy, although it's a welcome change from the 1:1 stuff that's been consuming time! Saying that, I've been allowed to display a few aircraft in the new glass fronted units in the living room, so the Dakota diorama has got a place to live now instead of a box :)

Here's some pictures before the decals go on. I put some exhaust stains on but wasn't happy with them, so 'erased' some of the marks which will be re-done later in the weathering stage. The panel lines are quite pronounced, but after a wash and a matt coat, they will become less so, so I'm not too concerned.

45_zpssw17zxzk.jpg

Most of the weathering to the black was done with the airbrush, where as I'll go to town on the camouflage areas with pastel and a bit more airbrush once the decals and panel wash has been done.

46_zps10lgiqch.jpg

47_zpszy6ezhtn.jpg

48_zpsqen4ykg1.jpg

49_zpsojcsgllt.jpg

• Like 13

Cheer guys.

Rob, I use Tamiya XF-82 Dark Green 2 and Mr Hobby H-72 Dark Earth. After trying lots of different ones over the years, I've settled with this combination. I've also decided to stick with Tamiya rubber black for the lower areas as this has a blue hue which I think replicates the colour well and just add a bit of white and dark earth to create tonal changes.

I was planning on spending a good chunk of the day on the build, but priorities have changed as we are getting a sofa delivered this week (early), so there's stuff to be done before that arrives :(

• Like 1