Italeri Stirling Mk.I N6086 MacRoberts Reply

Hi Colin,

The big windows are north facing so the sun doesn't come through directly, it's very pleasant for that reason. We've ordered some blinds but not the slatted type. Not managed to get anything done since Sunday due to college and 1/1 stuff but might get a but done tomorrow evening

Hi Colin,

The big windows are north facing so the sun doesn't come through directly, it's very pleasant for that reason. We've ordered some blinds but not the slatted type. Not managed to get anything done since Sunday due to college and 1/1 stuff but might get a but done tomorrow evening

If you are north facing then you have the benefit of the same kind of light for most of the day, which is what artist seak in their studios. Down here in SA we take advantage of the sun so mine is north facing. Good in summer when the sun is high but less so in winter when it is lower inthe sky.

I'm sure it's going to be a good place to work.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

Nice to see this under way again. I have one myself and was going to do a Mk.I but I took one look at the job of knocking out the extra windows and changed my mind. I've gathered the bits and bobs together to make a Mk.III. I'll leave the Mk.I for an Airfix build, following your example of a year or two back.

Lovely looking garden you have there by the way - just starting to come into autumn are you? Should be a blaze of colour soon I think.

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

We had a south facing patio door at the last house and whilst the sun in the back garden was nice, it was overpowering on the odd day we had sun and bleached the carpet and everything else on show too, I can imagine the sun in SA being a pain in that respect because you pinch it most of the time!

Cheers Matt, hope to see a Mk.III build from you, plenty of decal options to choose from too. I don't understand why Xtradecal released a Mk.III/IV decal sheet when we need more Mk.I decals though with this kit!

Anyway, just to prove that the room is in fact a working area, here are some pics at last...

ps. The collector rings / exhausts are dry fitted for show at the moment in case some of the exhausts are in the wrong place!

40_zpsjxev3lb5.jpg

41_zpscfxx00ir.jpg

42_zpstg3v3ntm.jpg

And a close up to show the state of panels lines....

44_zpsdlcnq6n6.jpg

43_zpsgxq42xyx.jpg

Need to get the paint on soon!

• Like 18

Looking very good Neil. We don't pinch the sun most of theime down here. It's just you don't fully utilise it whilst it's up narth!!! Please tell what seetings you have you camera on for your WIP pics?

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

I'm a complete novice with a camera and it's ages since I've changed any settings. I've just checked and for the close ups, I use focal length 29 (f29), and ISO 100 if that makes sense?

I found the focal length critical to get the depth of focus through trial and error. If I'm talking bull, please correct me!

Cheers

Neil

I use focal length 29 (f29), and ISO 100 if that makes sense?

I found the focal length critical to get the depth of focus through trial and error. If I'm talking bull, please correct me!

Cheers

Neil

f29 is the focal stop, that is the aperture of the lens, Neil (you're right when you say you need a small aperture for depth of field). Focal length is the 'length' of the lens, eg 25mm, 50mm, 135mm, etc - wide angle through 'standard' (in SLR terms) & then telephoto. ISO 100 used to relate to the speed of a film, the lower the number, the slower the film & the better the quality of the picture with finer grain as long as the light was good enough. In digital terms, the lower the number, the less 'noise' there is in the shot , so again quality should be better...

HTH

Keith

• Like 1

Looking good Neil, man-cave looks great..... (my two large skylights face North too, nice for light but even better for aircraft on approach to Waddo as they're coming right at me !). I think our builds are running about parallel at the moment, though I have now finished masking everything up. One thing I couldn't live with though were the oversized guns so I cut them all off, drilled out and replaced with better sized Quickboost resin jobbies. The bombs were a bit of a pain too as was fitting the resin wheels but now they're out of the way I can get on with throwing some paint at it...got to be honest I'll be glad to see the back of the thing !

Carry on that man...

Just one thing mate...it's as well the exhausts are dry fitted as you should have the two short ones on the outers and long ones on the inners...(there's always one isn't there !)

You asked about my build, here's the current state of play with the cockpit, totally scratchbuilt but with modified kit seats...

DSC_0095_zps1igjsaxn.jpg

DSC_0099_zpsnaixl0na.jpg

Masked and with modified gun barrels in situ....

DSC_0102_zps1tt0xiyr.jpg

Progress is slow with a capital Z zzzzz :sleep_1:

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice work Neil I hope mine gets here soon as I really hope to get one made for Telford. Sadly I paid for next day delivery and 3 days on its still not here !

I have asked Andy and Paul about decals and identities but no reply yet. I don't want to build a duplicate airframe.

I hope to do the standard night scheme nowt fancy just your standard Stirling.

Not long now im going to have to rush the undercarriage looks a right PITA !

Cheers Rob :)

Andy, yours is looking great. Thanks for letting me know about the exhausts, they're off ready for some paint. I've got the turrets assembled too and drilled some holes for the Quickboost jobbies but 1/1 stuff is taking up the time atbthe moment. Most of the cockpit is masked, so hopefully it should get some paint next weekend.

Rob, I think Paul put a list on the BC page on Facebook telling everyone who us doing what so best to look through there mate :)

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, appreciated, it's a real labour of love this one ! Since taking these it's been primed with Alclad grey micro-filler, Micro-meshed to within a hexidecimal of its life, pre shaded with medium grey and should receive the first few mists of dark earth on Monday......come on Neil we need progress man...our illustrious leader has already finished his ! :yikes:

• Like 1

Your cockpit looks excellent Andy,...well done. Come on Neil we are waiting for some updates from you too!

Cheers,

Tony

Tony, I could do with borrowing a few of your elves, although you seem to be working them flat out at the moment!!

Thanks chaps, appreciated, it's a real labour of love this one ! Since taking these it's been primed with Alclad grey micro-filler, Micro-meshed to within a hexidecimal of its life, pre shaded with medium grey and should receive the first few mists of dark earth on Monday......come on Neil we need progress man...our illustrious leader has already finished his ! :yikes:

At this rate Andy, Rob will finishing his and I'll just be getting the paint on!! Got a few days off next week, so my commitment is to get the damn thing painted by Tuesday. There, I've said it, there's no going back now!

Hopefully I'll be bring a seat with me to Telford along with the throttle box. You should see some progress on that front since you saw it previously :)

John

John, looking forwards to it mate, be great to have another catch up too :)

• Like 2

Well I managed to add some light pre-shade yesterday and then sprayed the dark earth today ...tomorrow it'll be on with the masking followed by the turn of the green, then all the light/dark panel toning etc and then....who knows ?. I'm aiming to get the blasted thing done by Sunday so I can concentrate on more things I've left 'til the last minute for Telford (yet again) ! :doh:

At this rate Andy, Rob will finishing his and I'll just be getting the paint on!!

I agree Neil.....he's probably already finished it !

• Like 1

Well I managed to add some light pre-shade yesterday and then sprayed the dark earth today ...tomorrow it'll be on with the masking followed by the turn of the green, then all the light/dark panel toning etc and then....who knows ?. I'm aiming to get the blasted thing done by Sunday so I can concentrate on more things I've left 'til the last minute for Telford (yet again) ! :doh:

I agree Neil.....he's probably already finished it !

Don't bet on it now will you haha , I may faulter making one of these with all the turrets guns and windows to mask could take me an age compared to something like a V Bomber. I may choose an option that deletes the top turret and viewing blister to make my life even easier. Im cutting corners where I can so mine will probably look toy ish. :)

Rob, check with Paul which aircraft you want to do...he's just finished a BMk.1 minus the FN-7 turret ! I'll have a look through my stash of info on the Stirling and see if there are any other corners to be nipped to make life easier........(just a hint, remove the bottom location lugs of the nose and tail turrets so you can push them in at the end of the build......and I didn't bother with all the rear end gubbins, just closed the door......makes life so much easier :winkgrin:).

• Like 2

Rob, check with Paul which aircraft you want to do...he's just finished a BMk.1 minus the FN-7 turret ! I'll have a look through my stash of info on the Stirling and see if there are any other corners to be nipped to make life easier........(just a hint, remove the bottom location lugs of the nose and tail turrets so you can push them in at the end of the build......and I didn't bother with all the rear end gubbins, just closed the door......makes life so much easier :winkgrin:).

Cheers mate I will go looking and nagging at ever. Who is this illustrious leader you speak of ? :fuhrer:

Yes I wondered about the Turrets and how you guys fit them. Do you leave them so you can just lift them off as required ?

Its been over 20 years since I build anything with turrets and back then I did not take the care I will do now. Just thown them together.

Rob :)

Sorry, should read 'listless bleeder'.....

Yes I wondered about the Turrets and how you guys fit them

Well as I'm not really a fan of moving parts and as the guns weren't often left at funny angles I cut off the base lugs to always ensure that they can be added later, (they all need careful masking anyway), though I did pre-fit the mid uppers 'tub' on this occasion as I wanted to make sure it wouldn't fall down the plug hole after the fuselage was bolted together. ...warning, the nose turret glazing is a Really tight fit so go easy on it. Also watch the wing bomb doors if you have them open as they are paired in different sizes and it's easy to mix em up, guess how I know that. Remember the little port-holes in the nose glazing just ahead of the wind shield, I just cut small discs of Tamiya tape to size to mask....

Onward Rob...the clocks ticking :waiting:

• Like 1

Sorry, should read 'listless bleeder'.....

Well as I'm not really a fan of moving parts and as the guns weren't often left at funny angles I cut off the base lugs to always ensure that they can be added later, (they all need careful masking anyway), though I did pre-fit the mid uppers 'tub' on this occasion as I wanted to make sure it wouldn't fall down the plug hole after the fuselage was bolted together. ...warning, the nose turret glazing is a Really tight fit so go easy on it. Also watch the wing bomb doors if you have them open as they are paired in different sizes and it's easy to mix em up, guess how I know that. Remember the little port-holes in the nose glazing just ahead of the wind shield, I just cut small discs of Tamiya tape to size to mask....

Onward Rob...the clocks ticking :waiting:

Cheers mate much appreciated. I will get to work on it in a second. Not sure of the best approach for the cutting out of the windows. It looks like thin plastic so I was thinking or scoring around the line with a dental tool and pushing them out. Or drilling the centre and filing out. Both slow route but think the 1st one sounds more suitable.

That damn clock !

Excellent cockpit Neiil and exquisite masking of the canopy. Thanks for figures on your camera settings. You're very brave attaching the guns at thisearly stage. Always leave mine until after decaling and last varnish coat.

Colin

Not sure of the best approach for the cutting out of the windows.

I started each using a pin vice with a 2mm bit fitted and then drilled them again with a closer matched bit, can't recall the size then carefully used a curved scalpel blade and needle-nose file to shape, constantly trying the windows for fit....it pays to really take your time though as one slip leads to a lot of remedial work ! Remember not to cut out the oval window at the front of the left side nose...it doesn't exist on the real thing, (look back earlier in this thread), not sure why Italeri thought it did !

• Like 2

Excellent cockpit Neiil and exquisite masking of the canopy. Thanks for figures on your camera settings. You're very brave attaching the guns at thisearly stage. Always leave mine until after decaling and last varnish coat.

Colin

Colin, the cockpit shot was the Generals, I'm too much of a clumsy coward to even contemplate sticking those fiddly bits on!

I tackled the turrets and small windows the same as Andy. The lower dangly bits in the front turret were cut off and the lip was standard away so that I can slide the turret in and out. I used a curved and round needle file to tidy the small windows up once drilled and trimmed out.

Thanks for pointing out the bomb bay doors in the wings, that would of been my next mistake!

• Like 2