"Navy 709 .. Flexops due " Sea King has 6 - XV711 ( circa 1996) - 819 NAS

.........some old git telling war stories and stuff.....Last year the RN did an exercise called "Blue Water", when they rippled 6 Merlins from Lusty for 3 weeks doing full-on ASW for the first time in about 20 years.I think he'd just assumed it was old gits giving it the war stories...

A couple of tiny corrections (and not wanting to be that rivet counting "I know everything" person, but...) it was called Deep Blue and it was ripple 3; 6 would have been well and truly too much for the Merlin, as it was 3 was quite an effort (that is 3 out if the 9 on board) and it was over a period of 4 days, 3 week exercise. 3 continuous weeks of rippling would have destroyed the entire lot!!!

Jeff

(Oh, and please don't be offended by my editing of your post)

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

A couple of tiny corrections (and not wanting to be that rivet counting "I know everything" person, but...) it was called Deep Blue and it was ripple 3; 6 would have been well and truly too much for the Merlin, as it was 3 was quite an effort (that is 3 out if the 9 on board) and it was over a period of 4 days, 3 week exercise. 3 continuous weeks of rippling would have destroyed the entire lot!!!

Jeff

Jeff - no offence whatsoever; why would I be offended?

My poor English; I knew it was ripple 3, but didn't make that very clear. By 6 I meant that thought they'd achieved ripple 3 from 6 cabs. Ripple 6 would require some ridiculous number of aircraft and crews to keep going - certainly more than one squadron.

You might have been surprised had you kept it going. We (and by "we" I mean 820 NAS 86-88 vintage) usually found that 2 or 3 days in there were lots of niggly problems with the cabs, to the point where you started to wonder whether you could keep it going, but then gradually they'd settle down and 4 or 5 aircraft would soldier on with no problems for the whole period with just a few hours out for flexops every so often, plus a couple more cabs dipping in and out of the flypro as the boys got them serviceable... with at least one total hangar queen, as always. We too had 9 aircraft at the time. Happy days!

• Like 1

Jeff

Jeff - no offence whatsoever; why would I be offended?

My poor English; I knew it was ripple 3, but didn't make that very clear. By 6 I meant that thought they'd achieved ripple 3 from 6 cabs. Ripple 6 would require some ridiculous number of aircraft and crews to keep going - certainly more than one squadron.

You might have been surprised had you kept it going. We (and by "we" I mean 820 NAS 86-88 vintage) usually found that 2 or 3 days in there were lots of niggly problems with the cabs, to the point where you started to wonder whether you could keep it going, but then gradually they'd settle down and 4 or 5 aircraft would soldier on with no problems for the whole period with just a few hours out for flexops every so often, plus a couple more cabs dipping in and out of the flypro as the boys got them serviceable... with at least one total hangar queen, as always. We too had 9 aircraft at the time. Happy days!

.. 819 was usually ripple 2 when at sea !!! but then again we had the pleasure of working off single decks like the Zuiderkruis or Poolster, the legendary and cracking Dutch supply ships. Loved every minute of it... HIFR being the order of the day when away from mum or deck busy.. always gave me the heebie jeebies, dangling upside down trying to connect the fuel hose. No pressure like...

Have to be careful here, might start pulling up a bollard and telling dits !! ... on a totally separate matter, will try and progress the model when I can this week but nearing the end and progress may take away from completed build thread. I will however , show progress on the crew when I start them.

All the best ... and just for you guys ....

scan0013_zps30jatmeq.jpg

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 2

No update on model today but I thought this picture sent to me by a mate , may be of use to others building the Sea King

FB_IMG_1433881035061_zpsurnpdyu3.jpg

Hopefully of use to someone be it a man or a woman ... politically incorrect or gender specific servicing platform !! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

So that is a picture of the wibbley wobbley thingmy that makes the whizzy things fiddle about when in use

:hmmm:

I think I have that right

As fine a picture of that wizardry as I ever saw

And humour (or lack of it in my case) aside

Great picture that has gone straight into my Sea King file

• Like 1

...ain't no jesus in the Sea King world.. the Sea King's been flying so long that it's BC not AD !! 😉

Oh behave you are talking to an Albert Driver. If the Sea King is BC, Albert is positively Pliocene!

• Like 1

Oh behave you are talking to an Albert Driver. If the Sea King is BC, Albert is positively Pliocene!

...haha , good one, I genuinely had to look up what you meant 😂

For those not in the know "The Pliocene (/ˈplaɪɵsiːn/; also Pleiocene) Epoch (symbol PO[1]) is the period in the geologic timescale that extends from 5.333 million to 2.58[2] million years before present. It is the second and youngest epoch of the Neogene Period in the Cenozoic Era. The Pliocene follows the Miocene Epoch and is followed by the Pleistocene Epoch."

Careful with those Montex masks. I used them once and it left sticky residue on my He177 canopy. May have been a one off though.

Cheers mate, here's hoping it will be fine. Fingers crossed

Last few days spent sorting out the crew.. three were the "Royal Navy Lynx" crew from PJ productions and the fourth was an Apache pilot who underwent the face off treatment ..

20150610_194943_zps9xqbibst.jpg

I hacked off and sanded away the downed visor and monocle. There wasn't much left, so I tried to fashion a human face, using some modelling filler .. this was okay at first but not too resilient when it came to sanding and trying to detail some features.....

20150610_201512_zpsblrbsljy.jpg

I then had to sand this back again and inserted a small piece of plastic for the nose and built up the layers to represent the main features using some super glue. This was a lot better to work with and I fettled away and eventually ended up with a bearded observer ...because the Senior Service allowed it !!. This was achieved just using paint effects. The helmet was also sanded to try and get it more " bone dome " -ish as opposed to the square helmet of the Apache crew.

20150614_173341_zpsenohdwyn.jpg

I also took the opportunity today, to apply some dirt wash and sprayed it onto the airframe. This has not been sealed in and can be removed easily by using a damp cloth. What do you think ??.. I've always liked this heavily worked look. I will leave it for a few days and if it's staying, I will seal it in with some "klear" and then apply a dirt wash overall, to tone it in and bring out the panel lines.

20150614_173152_zpsuqlpx62o.jpg

I may even try the arms length cleaning option, mentioned earlier in this thread :thumbsup:

Far easier to work on this aircraft when a lot of the main components are only dry fitted. That's it for now .. all the best

• Like 2

Looking very nice, and good work on the observer, although if you had him as a pilot I reckon I know who that could have been modelled on (especially if you made him a bit squatter and plumper with a ginger beard!). The exhaust staining looks good as well although if i was being really pedantic i would say a touch blacker but that would be me being really pedantic lol!

Great work

Bob

• Like 2

I'd like to know who you know in the Andrew to get permission to mask up a real one so you can take pictures to pass off

Passing off is still a crime you know, ask Fritag

;)

That staining is unbelievably right, stop now and seal it with a view to adding other stains later if you like

"Too blarry good by far round here...." stumbles off into the distance muttering colourfully

• Like 1

I'm with the Moaning one; not quite black enough (and the exhaust can itself is way too shiny!). But the distribution of the stains is excellent.

When do we get the dribbling pink hydraulic fluid along the tail, then?

[Did you ever do a sortie to scatter an ex-matelot's ashes over some Loch or other on 819? If you did - and we did loads - then you'll remember the patent modified sonobuoy thingy that we bodged together to lower the ashes far enough beneath the cab on the end of the winch. I had that built, after my first week as SPLOT, when I came back from an ash-scattering sortie to find the entire tail pylon coated with ash that had stuck to the oil... Nice job to clean off...]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Looking very nice, and good work on the observer, although if you had him as a pilot I reckon I know who that could have been modelled on (especially if you made him a bit squatter and plumper with a ginger beard!). The exhaust staining looks good as well although if i was being really pedantic i would say a touch blacker but that would be me being really pedantic lol!

Great work

Bob

I wonder who you could mean . RS ?? can't remember him being plump though :winkgrin: ... applied & removed and applied the exhaust efflux numerous times and finally happy with it, as per my next thread

I'm with the Moaning one; not quite black enough (and the exhaust can itself is way too shiny!). But the distribution of the stains is excellent.

When do we get the dribbling pink hydraulic fluid along the tail, then?

[Did you ever do a sortie to scatter an ex-matelot's ashes over some Loch or other on 819? If you did - and we did loads - then you'll remember the patent modified sonobuoy thingy that we bodged together to lower the ashes far enough beneath the cab on the end of the winch. I had that built, after my first week as SPLOT, when I came back from an ash-scattering sortie to find the entire tail pylon coated with ash that had stuck to the oil... Nice job to clean off...]

... The underside has been given the hydraulic leak effect streak effect .. to the best of my ability that is however unable to replicate " uncle Albert's ashes " effect from the jez chute aft :thumbsup:

20150616_195323_zpskdlg9sny.jpg

Will probably add to this but I basically just ground down some sketching pastel and mixed with water and thereafter used the airbrush to blow it aft from a blob deposited on the hull. I think I may have to invest in some weathering powder and work away. This has been sealed in so at least it's a base coat to work with.

• Like 1

Right... finished with the weathering and sealed this in. I again used the "Flory" wash and just lightly sprayed it on. When happy, admittedly after several attempts, I sealed it in with some "klear"

20150616_200233_zpswyf3xznx.jpg

The cockpit masks came off no bother and the paint lines were nice and crisp. I have only found one problem and that is a dried in piece of either glue or klear, that has crept in under the mask and is proving troublesome to remove. It's on the port side window, the one that the co pilot can open in real life.

20150616_200247_zpsgjah9luo.jpg

The starboard side, with both rear crew seats ( and observer) glued in place. The liquid mask on all the side windows just took some time and patience with a cocktail stick to remove..

20150616_200311_zps6lehk9lr.jpg

.. and finally a view from the front.

All that is left is to add the few remaining pieces of PE or OOB parts ie the pitot tubes, wiper blades, rear view mirrors, sea anchor cable and maybe even the winch wire and hook ( hopefully being held by the aircrewman)

The Main rotor head, tail rotor and FOD shield will be glued in place, once I'm happy with the fit of the cockpit glazing.

For now, I will finish of this WIP and keep the remainder of the build for the ready for inspection shots. Just like to say, thanks for all the kind words, hints , tips and of course bits n bobs sent to me.

All the best and TTFN ... 709 ... RTB

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 9

... 709 ... RTB

Bloody late for Charlie time AGAIN; aircraft captain to SPLOT / SOBS office, no coffee.

Lovely job; a target to aspire to for when I get round to modelling my own 819 cab.

Bloody late for Charlie time AGAIN; aircraft captain to SPLOT / SOBS office, no coffee.

Lovely job; a target to aspire to for when I get round to modelling my own 819 cab.

Thanks C .. I have a spare Saltire and only 1 claymore spare. I will keep it safe for you along with airframe numbers. Whirlybird no doubt has them saved so should be easier for you to have bespoke ones made for your cab. Just let me know when you need what I have left. All the best. BZ

• Like 1

Thanks C .. I have a spare Saltire and only 1 claymore spare. I will keep it safe for you along with airframe numbers. Whirlybird no doubt has them saved so should be easier for you to have bespoke ones made for your cab. Just let me know when you need what I have left. All the best. BZ

Top man; thanks. Mine will probably be a SAR cab; I have acquired a rather funky 1/48 Houchin, so I can build it with everything ready to go, switches cocked, ground power in, just remove the tip socks, flash up and taxi!

Thinking of building a folded 820 HAS5 first, in the deep blue colour they were when I went front line. Probably the one I ditched in 88. I want to detail the SAR cab, but plan to build the Pinger with rear door shut, blades folded, forth road bridge and TR gust lock; basically as it was when I clambered in to do the checks in Fly1 as a sprog P2... That way I'll learn some of the pitfalls of the kit (I have 2) before opening up the later one as a Gannet SAR

• Like 1