"Navy 709 .. Flexops due " Sea King has 6 - XV711 ( circa 1996) - 819 NAS

Looking good so far, I do like the seaking, especially the RN version. I have one started in the stash that I haven't touched for must be nearly 10 years. I stalled waiting for some decent decals which leads me onto this picture:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah57/bl10711/Mobile%20Uploads/20150422_170327_zpsxbr2

Are there any credits on the instructions. The reason I ask is I supplied alot of information and pictures for a set of decals but cant remember which company it was. I remember it was up north somewhere. I sent a couple of personal phots that I would love to get back but never returned, if I could track down the company then it might giive me a bit of a chance, hopefully I was included in the credits.

Cheers now

Bob

Bob .. PM sent to you. Think this may assist your quest 😉

Right ... finally at the stage where I can make some painting progress but first..masking the canopy

20150516_152458_zpszzqemgka.jpg

I used the "Montex" range of cockpit masks for the first time and to be fair they are pretty good in my opinion, well cut and easy to come of the backing paper. They are very tacky and I had no problems in affixing them. They also come with interior masks but I elected not to use these.

20150516_152513_zpsym5hhojo.jpg

I also sprayed both exterior pilots windows yellow first, as if I recall the inside of these windows were yellow, which was the colour for various exits designed to be jettisoned in an emergency.It's really easy to do on this kit as both windows come separate from the rest of the canopy sprue The inside of the upper canopy was sprayed using Tamiya clear green, building up the required tone gently. Whilst I was at it, i also sprayed the starboard navigation light on the sponson, which was then masked using some liquid masking fluid.

The next two photos just to show the great coverage of the Vallejo surface primer, once I got the mixture right that is. I find that I always have to thin this primer down quite a bit with acrylic thinners as if I don't , it always clogs up my airbrush. This model is so big though, that it took me a while to spray it and hence had more than enough time to perfect the mixture :thumbsup:

DSC_0649_zpsb124llzu.jpg

DSC_0648_zps8z1cbpim.jpg

The sponson(s) are still only dry fitted and the cockpit glass is only held in place by a minute amount of clear PVA glue. The same goes for the main cabin door. You can just make out the extra antenna and sonobouy tube that I scratch build. The antenna were just made from some thick plastic card, cut and sanded to the correct size and shape. The sonobouy tube is just a piece of plastic from a cotton bud which was snipped of and one end heated gently and gently coaxed to melt into an inverted funnel shape.

The book in the background, is an oldie but still excellent for some reference pictures.

20150516_165933_zpsvclgxmy0.jpg

Excuse the poor quality mobile photo... You can see that the dipping sonar has not be scratch built yet. This piece shown is what comes in the kit and should provide a strong anchor point for whatever I make and fit. There are still a few lumps, bumps and raised panel lines on this model, which are not on the mk6. I'm just going to leave them as trying to sand them off will probably mean loosing a lot of the excellent rivet and sunken panel lines.

That's it for the day, going to let this primer fully harden for a few days. It may give me a chance to tackle the main rotor blades, which will need to be converted to composite type blades.

Next stage of painting is pre shading ... until then, bye for now :bye:

• Like 3

I know you said you'd swapped the MAD sponson with someone, but where does it actually come from? Did someone do a conversion?

The Navy must have wasted a shed-load of money on their brief flirtation with MAD. All those modified sponsons on Sea Kings, and some early Lynxes had it too. There was still one MAD-fitted cab on 706 when I did AFT in 84-5, and it was a right PITA. Even the staff Observers could never get the bloody thing to work properly, let alone our poor harassed back seat course-mates.

The USN had it on their SH-60s for years, so I guess it must be possible to get it to work OK - not sure the early 80s RN ever did, though

I know you said you'd swapped the MAD sponson with someone, but where does it actually come from? Did someone do a conversion?

The Navy must have wasted a shed-load of money on their brief flirtation with MAD. All those modified sponsons on Sea Kings, and some early Lynxes had it too. There was still one MAD-fitted cab on 706 when I did AFT in 84-5, and it was a right PITA. Even the staff Observers could never get the bloody thing to work properly, let alone our poor harassed back seat course-mates.

The USN had it on their SH-60s for years, so I guess it must be possible to get it to work OK - not sure the early 80s RN ever did, though

Completely agree ... the RN must have decided it was the way forward and procured numerous MAD conversions but in the end, decided that passive/active ASW was best. I suppose because we used to work with the RAF and their Nimrods, which by all accounts had a reliable MAD suite, that the powers that be decided not to continue with the idea.

Makes XV711 and the few other cabs that had the sponsons kinda quirky, which I like. The plastic sponson I have fitted is obviously the US version, I may have to modify mine to look more like the RN version, basically with a square chunk out of the rear.

.... I never actually got trained to use to use the MAD system but did like the phrase " MADMAN, MADMAN" shouted over the air !! :coolio:

Edited by MarkdipXV711

Pinch and zoom ... it certainly has its uses .. it was time to break out the trusty saw and cut pieces off my beloved model. The rivet detail on the kit certainly helps with the straight line cuts or so I hoped !!

20150517_211943_zpswacgumms.jpg

The starboard US version MAD sponson required WAFUing .. not a complicated job, but made slightly more difficult by the following......

20150517_220841_zpstks2aas7.jpg

El vino !!! :unsure:

The issue being that I sat down with the family for a lovely Sunday dinner and afterwards decided to open a bottle of my favourite tipple.... and finished same before tackling the sawing. After I made the cuts and tidied them up, I then realised I was a bit tipsy, so decided to quit whilst I was ahead.

Methinks a careful examination tomorrow morning ( or afternoon) to see how I did :mental:

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 1

The lines were straight so all is well. Probably last day of progress for a few days, due to work, but managed to get some paint down at last...

20150518_142532_zps1yqbauof.jpg

First of all, the pre shading, always think that I go a bit overboard with this and the lines I paint are never straight but somehow it all works out when the main colour is applied on top.

20150518_162637_zpssv5lnziw.jpg

20150518_162648_zpsklemfvl4.jpg

The paint I am using is Tamiya XF80 - "Royal light grey" ... it may not be strictly correct but looks the best match to my eye and I've used it on my previous RN builds. The photograph has lightened the pre shading, it is much more prominent to the naked eye. I have applied 2 coats of this but may well require another but she is looking much better with her proper paint scheme applied... a proper pinger :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Looking good.

I think the Sea King does benefit from a bit of pre shading especially around the exhausts. For added authenticity, have the lower surfaces nice and clean but the upper surfaces (oh, let's say about average "human arm extended" height) in a dirty exhaust stained finish to reproduce a cab wipe carried out by a bunch of lads who have been told they can chop when all the cabs are done!!

That always made me laugh, seeing lots of clean Sea Kings on the line with a half-wiped cab or two sitting awkwardly amongst them.

• Like 1

Looking good.

I think the Sea King does benefit from a bit of pre shading especially around the exhausts. For added authenticity, have the lower surfaces nice and clean but the upper surfaces (oh, let's say about average "human arm extended" height) in a dirty exhaust stained finish to reproduce a cab wipe carried out by a bunch of lads who have been told they can chop when all the cabs are done!!

That always made me laugh, seeing lots of clean Sea Kings on the line with a half-wiped cab or two sitting awkwardly amongst them.

..... haha , brilliant observation :)

There was nothing like slapping on px24, always best to get the job of squirting it on with the lance. Can't remember ever using gloves just barrier cream :)

• Like 1

Looking good.

The other dead giveaway was the top of the strake down the port side of the tail; it used to get totally minging on there, and if the boys had done a half-arsed job they would only wash underneath. But my office at 819 was upstairs, so I looked down on the cabs from above...

P.S. I'm enjoying your selection of war cries in the title. How does it finish? "Sweep complete no echoes - raise the body"... "Cobra loose"... or " Beware beware..."?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

The other dead giveaway was the top of the strake down the port side of the tail; it used to get totally minging on there, and if the boys had done a half-arsed job they would only wash underneath. But my office at 819 was upstairs, so I looked down on the cabs from above...

P.S. I'm enjoying your selection of war cries in the title. How does it finish? "Sweep complete no echoes - raise the body"... "Cobra loose"... or " Beware beware..."?

Beware the boss looking down from the heavens haha 👍👏

War cries will continue to be updated...racking my brain to remember them all, they are in there somewhere 😉

War cries will continue to be updated...racking my brain to remember them all, they are in there somewhere

Let's hope there is no need for "Cut! Cut! Cut!"

• Like 1

Looking good, I do like the preshading and if you can get the PX24 swirls weighed off it would look very authentic!

Let's hope there is no need for "Cut! Cut! Cut!"

I had a scenario for a hung sonar body on my Grubber Sup's board. My first answer was to cut the bugger to the side of the runway and let the Pinkies deal with it, apparently that was incorrect and there was another solution but that was way too much of a pain, my solution was far easier!

Bob

• Like 2

Just found your build Mark, congratulations on the build so far. A pity you couldn't join us in the GB. I like your execution of the cabin hardware and as you say save wrestling with the winding gear, it can't be seen.

Colin

• Like 1

Cheers gents for the comments. .. a lot of what I've managed is down to "borrowing " ideas from of Britmodellers. Love this website...Always an answer and always plenty of help.

Not yet come accross a problem that someone hasn't got an answer to!

We were too busy with crew room security...

Must have carried that out very dilligently because I never heard of a crew room suffering from a terrorist attack lol :winkgrin:

Bob

• Like 1

Must have carried that out very dilligently because I never heard of a crew room suffering from a terrorist attack lol :winkgrin:

Bob

And I bet as a grubber you uttered those deeply offensive words - "bloomin' useless pinkies"...

See, we did have a vital role to play.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

None of the Grubbers I worked with have ever uttered the word "blooming" even when talking about flowers - let alone Pinkies.

I think it was "ducking". Something like that, anyway.

• Like 4

And I bet as a grubber you uttered those deeply offensive words - "bloomin' useless pinkies"...

See, we did have a vital role to play.

Jeff

I was several years into my career before I realised we had such a thing as Pinkies :P

• Like 2

I'd just like to point out that you buggers used to fly over my house when I was a kid, my friends and I used to wave at you all the time, not one wave back! Not even a two finger salute!

I miss the sight and sound of Sea Kings over my head (but love the smell of napalm in the morning!) and will always have a soft spot for them, especially those from Gannet.

Thoroughly enjoying your build!

• Like 1

I'd just like to point out that you buggers used to fly over my house when I was a kid, my friends and I used to wave at you all the time, not one wave back! Not even a two finger salute!

I miss the sight and sound of Sea Kings over my head (but love the smell of napalm in the morning!) and will always have a soft spot for them, especially those from Gannet.

Thoroughly enjoying your build!

I apologise on behalf of my shipmates ... to be fair, my position was down the back with a window behind and several feet away on the stbd side. The observor had the rear window on the port side.

I did have the rare occasion to be sitting at cargo door on a dispatcher on approach but usually on take off and landing I was in the "harness locked and tight" position and completely in the hands of the front seaters, such as EX-FAAWAFU !!

We also usually lived in a dark world down the back, as the window blinds were usually always in place for our usual role of ASW . When I was up front, standing behind the lucky pilots I was usually gawping but couldn't wave as the pilots had the prime and lets be honest ... most important position. Keeping the whirlybird in the air.

When dangling on the winch wire though ... everyone thought the back seat crew were the coolest ... we were ... haha !! :)

• Like 2

Don't worry too much about it, if your ride so much as twitched when flying over we naturally assumed that you guys were doing the whirlybird version of wing waggling just for us. Sad day when we understood what air turbulence did!

We loved you guys. It's rare that a Sea King will fly over Kidderminster but I can still recognise the sound from miles off and I'm straight out the door for a look!

It's especially nice to think that you and Ex-FAAWAFU may have actually been those guys from my home. I moved from Ayr to Bristol back in '89, I used to work for SEI on the boring side of the runway near the fuel tanks and got the opportunity to move south when I was twenty!

HMS Gannett, BAe, Prestwick Airport, RAF Atlantic House, 137 Sqn ATC and The QOY were a big part of my early life and inspiration. I'm enjoying the fact that your not only building your own bird but possibly one of'mine'!

• Like 2

When dangling on the winch wire though ... everyone thought the back seat crew were the coolest ... we were ... haha !! :)

When the Dope on a Rope was dangling on the winch wire, even the pilots thought he (and it always was a "he" in my era) was the coolest. Some of the stuff that the SAR crewmen got up to used to make my hair stand on end.

• Like 2