"Navy 709 .. Flexops due " Sea King has 6 - XV711 ( circa 1996) - 819 NAS

Hi,

Appreciate that there has been a recent group build for the Sea King however I didn't take part as it's taken me 5 months to get to this stage. I'll admit, I've not got that far however my hope is that I will end up with a large model representing this actual aircraft, which coincidentally, was the last aircraft I flew in back on 21st August 1996. Not a particularly interesting flight .. more of an AFCS ( automatic flying control system) check test flight. She passed and was serviceable for future use.

XV71107071996b_zpsbba71a98.jpg

The last I heard .. she is sitting down in HMS Sultan, being used as a training aircraft for future WAFU's

The link for this is http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=1036995

Anyway, I started with the excellent ( and only) 1:48 scale kit that I could find and ask Santa for. The har.5 kit from Hasegawa "Ark Royal" ?? edition because this would require the least of all options to convert to the has.6 version. First job was to source a MAD sponson for the stbd side, which I did from fellow member "WAFU" and sent him the regular sponson from my kit.

Next came the purchase of some PE, which I have never really used before and was pondering the purchase of PE tools. In the end and after some discussion with other members, I just bought some quality smooth pliers and snips. This was mainly due to the fact that there was no real requirement for bending lots of PE that I'd purchased.

And so I began...

20150212_215009_zpsodrubjil.jpg

I decided to leave the front seats as is and I appreciate that the Westland versions do not have the large seat supports shown here. This was to help support and place the PJ production 1:48 Lynx crew which I will add later ... especially the all important aircrewman :winkgrin:

20150503_162725_zpst1pwgyl5.jpg

and then...

20150220_121752_zpsdoo61zbc.jpg

..the most frightening job for me was to take a saw to my model and I carefully cut out the main cargo door, which thankfully I can reuse and attach later. This was nerve racking to say the least but after some hints and tips from other members, I purchased the best quality micro saw I could afford ... best investment ever.

20150220_170914_zps3yqnl3yd.jpg

Dry fitted almost everything that I could, as I wanted to minimise fit issues which would require sanding and as such , loose detail. I haven't tried re scribing and due to the good quality of this kit, hopefully I won't have to. There was a gap above the main cockpit and fuselage and this was addressed later.

20150220_170929_zpssyq93j6m.jpg

This picture shows the hole I cut in the cabin floor, in order to fit the sonar and you can just see the first bit of PE fitted, which is the sea anchor storage, fitted behind the P2's seat.

20150220_211209_zpscrgmo2f1.jpg

Decided not to fit the PE yaw pedals as I actually preferred the plastic kit parts, however I did fit the pedal surrounds and sanded down the instrument console, ready for the attachment of the self adhesive PE parts.

20150220_223252_zpsagoqfjog.jpg

PE broom cupboard bent & attached. This is where the hydraulic actuators and other gubbins for the AFCS are housed, behind the P1's seat. The first aid kit, flare pistol and piddle tube ( back up intercom !!?? :winkgrin: ) was also attached to this cupboard.

Finally , I was ready to start some scratch building for the back of this aircraft as the kit is absolutely bare ... which is a shame.

20150227_231808_zpsw5npda5v.jpg

The rear crew seats were made using bits n bobs of plastic, copper wire and cocktail sticks. I cannot take credit for this idea, it was borrowed from the excellent thread below

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976450-sea-king-crew-seat-detaing-revell-72nd-scale-kit/

20150227_231825_zpsnvb9aadj.jpg

20150227_232226_zpsclbnn40z.jpg

The seats I was happy with .. the observers / aircrewmans stations .. eh not so much !.... so I started again .. from scratch.

20150228_154735_zps4gba6uis.jpg

Whilst I was trying to figure out the rear consoles, I decided to fit some soundproofing and cabin flooring. For this I simply used some cut up plastic sheet, cut up jiffy bags and some of the plastic straps that held the polystyrene packaging on my new fridge freezer ... another expense I could have done without. Waste not... want not !!

20150313_231950_zpsyc5kufzz.jpg

Rear consoles v2 ... made using some of the polystyrene packaging, cut to shape and faced with some plastic card. I also use the jiffy bag to make the cover that surrounded the dipping sonar. This was maily due to the fact , that even with the rear cabin door open, viewing access is minimal through said door and cabin/cockpit windows.

20150313_233029_zpstoaycy8n.jpg

As you can see, the dimensions of the consoles are much better second time around. I also took the opportunity to fit soundproofing to the cabin ceiling.

20150329_211158_zpsn4jqoxqo.jpg

.... and after painting and applying the cut up cockpit decals from OOB, I ended up with this.

20150329_211211_zpsyib47igb.jpg

I elected to keep the front personnel door closed, so I simply used some polystyrene block to make the fwd equipment rack and also a representation of the MS10 liferaft.. which you can just see through the cockpit.

20150329_211225_zpsuzq4uoco.jpg

View from the other side

20150329_211244_zpsfajruqhd.jpg

Actually quite liked the self adhesive PE for the cockpit .. but it did require a lit bit of help to stick ie superglue

20150331_162524_zpsigo8uwz2.jpg

Back to the rear cabin area and shown is my first attempt at rear cargo seats. These have since been removed and v2 fitted. I used the luminous "hamma bead" method to fashion the radar screen. Melt the beads using a warm iron and cut to shape. This worked quite well and when exposed to strong light and viewed in darkened conditions you get the following effect.

20150410_203834_zpsm41dtrkt.jpg

Excuse the poor quality photo .. but you get the idea :thumbsup2:

20150410_203707_zpsyy6qxxle.jpg

This was the dirtied effect I was looking for and so far so good.

It was then time to take possession of the following bespoke decals sourced from Roger at

www.whirlybirdmodels.com

20150422_170327_zpsxbr2rbru.jpg

Fantastic and just what I wanted. This guy is a genius and we spent several months conversing by email and phone to get the above just right.

20150422_170358_zpsz6fdhqun.jpg

These are unique to my model and I am over the moon... but lots to do so they have been safely packed away for now :thumbsup:

20150423_195828_zpsplsymcev.jpg

The fit of this kit is the best I've come across yet and I finally joined the two halves and dry fitted the various access panels. The gap above the cockpit and glass were filled with platic card and some detail added using wire. The hull is a snug fit and fits perfectly despite what the picture above suggests. I am not going to glue the boat hull section until I've attached the various antenna and decided what I'm going to fit inside the sonar well. I know it will be the correct dipping sonar but I am thinking of scratch building the full body, which I can remove to display, if so required.

20150503_162806_zpsjyt9uwim.jpg

So this is where I'm at to date. This has taken me 5 months so far, mainly due to work commitments.

I could not commit to the time scales of the group build but the fantastic work of all contributors was borrowed for incorporation into my model. This is going to take me several more months but hopefully the result will be be worth it. By posting on this WIP forum, it should ensure that I don't forget about it and do bits n bobs when I can.

Thanks for looking in... best wishes

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 9

What a refreshing build, you are doing a wonderful job and I`ll be following your progress with interest,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Thanks guys ... should get some build done over the next few days. Would be so easy to just add on the main components and get some paint down however lots and lots of PE to add. Much easier to add it whilst sponsons, tail pylon etc are not attached to main body.

Hard not to get impatient as it's the spray painting I enjoy the most 👍

Looking good so far. Now if you could get 'smellavision' that would be the ultimate. Imagine PX24 and a few honking goonbags emanating from it

The trick with goon bags was to keep the talc powder handy to mop up the sweat. SE branch made fantastic dhobie bags from the pockets. Mines was sadly pinched a while back.

That scratch-built mundungus in the back looks outstanding (though I'm disappointed you're not trying the pit-head gear!.... only joking). LOVE the green radar screen!

Unsurprisingly that cab is also in my log book (unsurprisingly, for other BM types, because MarkdipXV711 and I served on 819 at the same time, and indeed flew together); final appearance 2 hours of night General Handling on 14 Feb 1996. I hadn't seen those decals before, and will be ordering some forthwith for a future build along similar lines.

Great stuff, anyway, mate. I'm hooked, not least because I am seriously considering doing a Sea King next after the Vixen is finished (so, at present rate of progress, sometime in 2023).

• Like 1

That scratch-built mundungus in the back looks outstanding (though I'm disappointed you're not trying the pit-head gear!.... only joking). LOVE the green radar screen!

Unsurprisingly that cab is also in my log book (unsurprisingly, for other BM types, because MarkdipXV711 and I served on 819 at the same time, and indeed flew together); final appearance 2 hours of night General Handling on 14 Feb 1996. I hadn't seen those decals before, and will be ordering some forthwith for a future build along similar lines.

Great stuff, anyway, mate. I'm hooked, not least because I am seriously considering doing a Sea King next after the Vixen is finished (so, at present rate of progress, sometime in 2023).

... appreciate the comments. Was seriously going to tackle pit head gear but the lack of view into the centre portion of the cab made it pointless.

Hang fire on ordering the claymore & saltire ... I ordered 2 sets, so if I don't make a pigs ear of it when applying them, I will gladly send you the spare set. 👍

At least I have until 2023 to complete 😉...enjoying the vixen btw.

• Like 3

Spent the entire day fettling away with this and adding some of the PE. This is the first time I've really used the stuff .... it's really fiddly and time consuming

20150505_171444_zpsmrfykyko.jpg

... although I must admit, it certainly adds the detail that I never really noticed before, on models anyway. I must admit though, a quality 1/48 scale kit such as this needs the detail. A lot of the parts were really quite small but thankfully the Mrs bought me a great present recently

20150505_200624_zpsvajbrgeo.jpg

A magnifying stand with build in high intensity light .... brilliant :thumbsup:

Not much to show for the days work but progress all the same. Just a couple of pictures to show that the tail boom and stabiliser has been attached as well as the tail pylon strake and various PE

20150505_200745_zpsutycaopq.jpg

20150505_201658_zpswdnl99vv.jpg

The model is coming along and actually just noticed it's the same size as the art work on the box. It's going to be huge !!! :analintruder:

The only problem I can see is that I will have to do a bit of sanding to remove some of the excess super glue, used to attach the PE. Trying to be careful as I don't really want to loose any of the panel lines and rivet lines.

Back to work tomorrow so probably won't get any further forward until next week.

All the best

• Like 4

... appreciate the comments. Was seriously going to tackle pit head gear but the lack of view into the centre portion of the cab made it pointless.

Hang fire on ordering the claymore & saltire ... I ordered 2 sets, so if I don't make a pigs ear of it when applying them, I will gladly send you the spare set.

You, Sir, are a gent!

As for pointless, half the people on here (including me) seem to spend hours adding intricate detail which ends up completely invisible, I might be tempted to build the put head gear if I could find any really good references for it. But your rear seat consoles are really excellent!

• Like 1

You, Sir, are a gent!

As for pointless, half the people on here (including me) seem to spend hours adding intricate detail which ends up completely invisible, I might be tempted to build the put head gear if I could find any really good references for it. But your rear seat consoles are really excellent!

I agree with regards the intricate details make the model but following my previous builds in which I did add the innards I knew most if not all would not be seen. I also grew impatient ..and my bespoke decals arrived by this time , which just make me want to get some paint on 😉

Consoles were easy to build once I'd worked out what to use... but these were version 2. My first attempts were to small and the wrong shape / angles.

Scratch building for me is always a work in progress as opposed to prior planning 😕

• Like 1

Cracking build so far.

I only ever spent 4 months on the pinger Sea Kings before moving over to baggers for a further 6 months then its been Merlin all the way. From what I remember of them I don't miss them at all - smelly dirty things always leaking oil ("don't worry about that, it's when they stop leaking is when you start worrying"!!)

As for adding all those details that will be forever hidden? I learnt my lesson years ago building the Monogram 1/48 Superfortress. Spent ages detailing the interior, adding maps to the navs position, blankets and bits'n'bobs to the rear gunners quarters only to never see it again when I closed the fuselage halves up!!! Why bother!!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Smelly dirty things leaking oil??? That's the Queen of the Skies you're talking about there; some respect, please!

OK, they might have leaked a tad. But smelly? Try doing a vertrep in the sulphurous funnel gas of a Tide class tanker for 3 hours, then you'll recognise smelly!

• Like 1

I've spent loads of time on deck amongst that hideous sulphurous ships exhaust gas and its definitely not nice.

By comparison, the Merlin is still reasonably clean, doesn't really leak oil (though as they age they're beginning to have a few seeps here and there) and is quite straight forward to work on; still not a great fan of it but that's another thing...

Cracking build so far.

I only ever spent 4 months on the pinger Sea Kings before moving over to baggers for a further 6 months then its been Merlin all the way. From what I remember of them I don't miss them at all - smelly dirty things always leaking oil ("don't worry about that, it's when they stop leaking is when you start worrying"!!)

As for adding all those details that will be forever hidden? I learnt my lesson years ago building the Monogram 1/48 Superfortress. Spent ages detailing the interior, adding maps to the navs position, blankets and bits'n'bobs to the rear gunners quarters only to never see it again when I closed the fuselage halves up!!! Why bother!!!

Jeff

Sitting here shedding a tear " smelly, dirty things" ..leaking oil !!??

Prior to getting my wings I was a grubber and I'll admit they did leak a bit but that was what the drip trays were for and rags and px24 😉

40 years plus service .. nuf said.

Merlin looks and probably is a better, more capable modern cab but a totally different breed. Comparisons with modern cars and classics.... jeez, I think I'm getting old 😂

On this occasion I made the right decision... I've done enough to show she's a mark 6..inside at least.

No offence taken about the King ... I just have a soft spot for her and her kin 😍

• Like 1

I've spent loads of time on deck amongst that hideous sulphurous ships exhaust gas and its definitely not nice.

By comparison, the Merlin is still reasonably clean, doesn't really leak oil (though as they age they're beginning to have a few seeps here and there) and is quite straight forward to work on; still not a great fan of it but that's another thing...

... would love the opportunity to actually see a Merlin up close. Would also have been good to see a UK SAR version .. but that ain't going to happen. Least the junglies got the Merlin now 😜

• Like 1

20150506_225717_zps0hi8qwv2.jpg

Managed a few hours adding some more of the PE but had to stop due to this little part trying my patience :weep: ... any idea what it is ??

Obviously I do but a good example of read the instructions thoroughly , including the photo etch ones prior to plodding onwards. This would have been easier if I'd inserted these little @*#$£s prior to assembly and fitting of the plastic kit parts.

The solution ... leave it for the night and have a dram :thumbsup:

Night all.... and happy voting :frantic:

Fantastic looking build :) I will keep an eye on it when I pick my Seaking 1/48 Kit ;)

There is only the Revell kit or Hasegawa kit and they are quite expensive. Mind that the US versions have the larger stabiliser and different angled tail pylon. Loads of aftermarket parts out there.

Not sure what scale the new airfix kit will be...probably 1/72 but hopefully 1/48. I'm sure other BM'rs will answer thus one.

Thanks for kind comments...best of luck with your future build 👍

A bit of progress today... still more fiddly PE attached but more of that later.

I assembled both sets of undercarriage today and used some of the PE but decided against fitting the PE that goes inside the sponson, as I have one MAD sponson on this kit and I actually preferred the cleaner look of the plastic parts OOB. Sounds like an excuse and it probably is :winkgrin:

The picture below shows the sponsons etc. in place but they are dry fitted, or a least one is. One of the port sponson attachment points snapped as I removed it from the fuselage but luckily I remembered that someone else had this problem and used a cocktail stick to replace the damaged item.

The offending snapped piece of plastic was drilled out and a chopped up piece of wood was inserted... Once painted it should blend in. There is quite a gap between the sponsons and the fuselage but then again there is such a gap on the real thing but you do need access to the mounting bolts I suppose.

20150512_215004_zpslsqrmhbh.jpg

Excuse the mobile phone pictures but you get the idea.

20150512_215053_zpscwm7thna.jpg

The orange crop sensors on the front were a good fit by themselves but I decided to try the optional PE parts that sandwich between them and the nose plastic. This was a very fiddly job and found it difficult to get a perfect fit.

20150512_215316_zpsxkrracmi.jpg

Thought these looked quite messy but looking at the real thing ... they replicate the sealant around the actual sensors on XV711.

20150512_215112_zps3guzug2d.jpg

The hull section is still dry fitted, as it makes it much easier to fit the various PE and plastic parts to the underneath when its removed and worked on lying flat on the cutting mat. Most of the aerials and antenna come with the kit but a few are unique to the mk6 and will have to be scratch build.

XV71107071996_zps392d6556.jpg

What I'm on about are shown above, the sonobouy chute aft of the sonar well and the two longitudinal antenna at the rear of this are what I'm on about ( sure they were to do with the sonobouy homing ??)..... as well as the small aerial just forward of the tail wheel but on the port side. These should be simple enough to make out of some plasticard.

20150512_215406_zpsp2wbuhri.jpg

The kit actually has very, very faint markings on the rear hull for the correct positioning and alignment of the orange crop sensors on the aircraft. After much research of my reference photos, I decided not to fit the PE underneath these sensors. They just didn't look or sit right and it also made my life easier. :thumbsup:

Still a lot of work to do on this big beastie but she is taking shape now and the worst of the PE is fitted. The PE I have is for the AEW versions so if anyone needs the spare PE I have for a bagger version, then just let me know.

All the best and until next time.

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 2

You're right; the two blade aerials under the back end were passive ASW stuff

Fore and aft homing with the two yellow ones (? - I could be wrong they may be UHF homing though I seem to recall they were long and thin and possibly mounted slightly further back) being left and right homing.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 2

Looking good so far, I do like the seaking, especially the RN version. I have one started in the stash that I haven't touched for must be nearly 10 years. I stalled waiting for some decent decals which leads me onto this picture:

20150422_170327_zpsxbr2rbru.jpg

Are there any credits on the instructions. The reason I ask is I supplied alot of information and pictures for a set of decals but cant remember which company it was. I remember it was up north somewhere. I sent a couple of personal phots that I would love to get back but never returned, if I could track down the company then it might giive me a bit of a chance, hopefully I was included in the credits.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good so far, I do like the seaking, especially the RN version. I have one started in the stash that I haven't touched for must be nearly 10 years. I stalled waiting for some decent decals which leads me onto this picture:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah57/bl10711/Mobile%20Uploads/20150422_170327_zpsxbr2rbru

Are there any credits on the instructions. The reason I ask is I supplied alot of information and pictures for a set of decals but cant remember which company it was. I remember it was up north somewhere. I sent a couple of personal phots that I would love to get back but never returned, if I could track down the company then it might giive me a bit of a chance, hopefully I was included in the credits.

Cheers now

Bob

At work but will have a look on instructions provided. I'll get back to you asap 👍
  • Like 1