1/48 Esoteric Bell 47 Sioux - update for a second time on 04 May 15

I'll join in as well if you don't mind..

I have a few non-Injection moulded kits, resin, vac-form, white metal and this one took my fancy..

The kit consists of etch, White metal and resin with vac-formed glazing

Sioux%20004_zpslatnzrat.jpg

Sioux%20007_zpsgnksphzs.jpg

Sioux%20006_zps8sxxibs2.jpg

Sioux%20002_zps4imigr1m.jpg

Sioux%20005_zpsi8xkfiiu.jpg

The majority seems to be etch that will need soldering, something I have never really mastered, so have been reading up and have watched a fair few YouTube tutorials.. so fingers crossed..!!

Edited by OzH
  • Like 3

Welcome aboard, that is a really nice looking model......though as Cliff said you are a brave man!!

But this is the whole idea behind this GB, doing/building something outside your comfort zone!

The with the detail required for something this delicate PE is the only way to go for most parts, plus a bit of resin & white metal....lovely!!

Well I rally do wish you good luck with this build, I think you'll produce something really nice, I do hope the build is enjoyable.

Thanks for the encouragement guys..

As a result of the research mentioned above, I stumped up the cash for a decent soldering iron, picked one up from Maplin and what a difference!

DSC03208_zpsvlu5jjcg.jpg

DSC03209_zps5crt7jn2.jpg

Need some cleaning up and a few touch ups, but happy so far..

DSC03211_zpsyheapgpk.jpg

Something I'm a bit more familiar with, resin, etch and white metal engine

DSC03214_zpswuy8ku2u.jpg

DSC03212_zpsc0ymmy79.jpg

More to come today..

• Like 3

nice work, well done!

I have to admit I've never soldered PE before, looking at how nice yours came out I may have to get me a good iron as well!

The engine should detail up nicely!

nice work, well done!

I have to admit I've never soldered PE before, looking at how nice yours came out I may have to get me a good iron as well!

The engine should detail up nicely!

Me neither.. always used glue before, but I think I may just be converted... read on...

Cleaned up last nights work

DSC03224_zpsfhgzbmz7.jpg

DSC03221_zpsfrmiaefp.jpg

And then cracked on with the cockpit/cabin

DSC03219_zps6ea7mce5.jpg

DSC03220_zpsmiil0nal.jpg

And the console

DSC03217_zpsjvaat3ic.jpg

Then I started to look at the skid assembly that is all white metal. This looked problematic as it was heavily flashed and bent out of shape...

So, with my new found soldering skills, I built the skids out of brass tubing...

DSC03228_zps8uurq2x7.jpg

DSC03230_zpspyegs5oa.jpg

• Like 4

That's a nice looking solder iron, I have to buy one now.

You're fast becoming the "Brass Master", nice replacement job of the skids. The cockpit detail looks great, should look awesome when painted up.

• 3 months later...

That's sad to here, but worries at all. Hopefully new new place will have a great modeling room.

When you just update the build thread, these will remain open, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to see the finished beasty!