North American FJ-3 Fury 1/48th Esci with added Elbow Grease

What a build! You are tanacious to say the least to create an accurate model from the terrible ESCI kit. I tried doing what you are doing many years ago, however I started with the Monogram F-86 fuselage mated to the ESCI wings etc.. I was never satisfied. I later tried to do the same again, this time with the Grand Phoenix FJ-4 fuselage. I discovered through some research I felt the -4 fuselage was pretty much the same except for the fin and the spine/canopy. The hardest part of the whole conversion is the canopy. The only option is using the ESCI canopy as it is the only one that is even close to the real one. I was becoming satisfied with the GP/ESCI combo until I bit the bullet and spent money for the Collect Aire FJ-3 Fury. I know you've committed a lot of blood, sweat and tears to this build but if you can afford the CA Fury you must buy it. Save yourself a lot of work. It is a beautiful resin kit. I builds much like an injection molded one. Its only down point is the cockpit and I think the either the Grand Phoenix or Hobby Boss one will fit nicely as there was little differences in them, at least in 1/48. It looks like you're in the home stretch now.

• Like 2

What a build! You are tanacious to say the least to create an accurate model from the terrible ESCI kit. I tried doing what you are doing many years ago, however I started with the Monogram F-86 fuselage mated to the ESCI wings etc.. I was never satisfied. I later tried to do the same again, this time with the Grand Phoenix FJ-4 fuselage. I discovered through some research I felt the -4 fuselage was pretty much the same except for the fin and the spine/canopy. The hardest part of the whole conversion is the canopy. The only option is using the ESCI canopy as it is the only one that is even close to the real one. I was becoming satisfied with the GP/ESCI combo until I bit the bullet and spent money for the Collect Aire FJ-3 Fury. I know you've committed a lot of blood, sweat and tears to this build but if you can afford the CA Fury you must buy it. Save yourself a lot of work. It is a beautiful resin kit. I builds much like an injection molded one. Its only down point is the cockpit and I think the either the Grand Phoenix or Hobby Boss one will fit nicely as there was little differences in them, at least in 1/48. It looks like you're in the home stretch now.

For me, part of the "fun" is the converting! But that's not to say if there wasn't an easier route, I wouldn't take it....

Cheers

Jonners

Hi Jonners,

I first saw your brilliant work at "Tailhook Topics". I love scratchbuilding myself very much specially revamping older kits. Can'T wait for the next episode of your story.

Thanks Michael - well here's where I'm at today. She needs to sit around and let the paint harden a bit, but I could not resist this ( I'll pay for it in finger marks on the paint - they will polish out - Gunze stays workable for a long time!)

The VF-33 white nose and rudder need to be applied, which mean the corroguard nose lip isn't on yet either, and nor are the tank nose corroguard.

3C191A20-9B1A-4BFE-AB2C-EA4B5946E7F8_zps

Jonners

• Like 3

For me, part of the "fun" is the converting! But that's not to say if there wasn't an easier route, I wouldn't take it....

Cheers

Jonners

Jon, I certainly understand the "fun" of a project like this. I really enjoyed the surgery while I was working on mine I just couldn't get it the way I wanted and the canopy issue was a huge frustration for me. I started my attempt probably now around twenty five years ago. That was before the internet and the now abundant sources of information on the Fury. All I had then was the then new issue "In Action" book on the Fury and Squadrons book on the F-86 which had a small section on the Fury in the back. I believe I was the first one to suggest using the -4 Fury fuselage as it was a better starting point than an F-86. There were many misconceptions about the -4 Fury and how much it differed from the -3. I posted my comments on Tailhook Topics a while back and it prompted Tommy to do the graphic overlays on his blog comparing the differences between the -3/-4 and F-86 fuselages. IF....I were to undertake this sort of project again I would start with the Grand Phoenix fuselage bashed with the ESCI wings, etc. as it is the more accurate shape wise than the Hobby Boss kit.

I have a particular fondness for the -3 version as I used to see reserve ones at the NAS where my dad was stationed in the late 50's early 60's. I don't know why someone hasn't kitted this plane considering how popular the Sabre is. There were so many colorful markings options. I like the VF-33 markings as well but the gray over white was my favorite. I'm sure someone will do an injected plastic kit at some point, I just hope it's before they throw some dirt on me.

You're the first person I've seen praise the Tamy flexible tape Jon - all other posts I've read say it's hopeless with awful bleed under. I bought a couple of rolls when it first came out but have been reluctant to use it because of all the bad press! Guess I'll have to give it a go, as it's worked really well on the Fury - excellent work!

keith

I've just caught up with this build, what an epic! I love to see how different people go about the problem-solving of conversions like this, and you've done a fantastic job!

Ian

You're the first person I've seen praise the Tamy flexible tape Jon - all other posts I've read say it's hopeless with awful bleed under. I bought a couple of rolls when it first came out but have been reluctant to use it because of all the bad press! Guess I'll have to give it a go, as it's worked really well on the Fury - excellent work!

keith

Inside a sharp bend will (as with any tape) want to lift.

It doesn't stay burnished for long. Re-burnish just prior to painting.

Hi Jonners,

maybe you can try to cut out a white arrow from a white decal sheet.

Or mask & paint? Doesn't look too bad a shape for that...

Hi Guys - its the entire sheet thats like this. Ive got some Microscope liquid decal film ordered in which should solve the problem.

I'm guessing this Microscope sheet is just over 30 years old, so it's not surprising its "gawn off" a little!!

Cheers

Jonners

.. its the entire sheet thats like this. Ive got some Microscope liquid decal film ordered in which should solve the problem.

I'm guessing this Microscope sheet is just over 30 years old,

That's a blow - hope the 'Microscope' decal film does the trick...(I'm guessing you got attacked by autocorrect there & it's the Microscale stuff that you've ordered?!)

K

so - the "Microscope" liquid decal film arrived and has solved the cracking issue...BUT the lightning stripe on the decal sheet seems way off compared to photos....so it was back to the old masking tape.

About 2 hours work - marking out a rough on masking tape applied to the fuselage side, remove it, then square it up with a rule and pencil, then using it to cut a master pattern from thin plasticard, checking it, then using the pattern to cut masks from Tamiya tape ( flip the pattern and it does the other side see), additional masking, spray it white and un-mask.

Et Voila!

153A96C7-3DE5-40B0-86AF-71835138F761_zps

16722B14-DA33-400E-AEEE-C00E95EB8C4C_zps

20B40D4D-A4E0-40AC-911E-E16DEBACA6F0_zps

Jonners

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...