Karaya 1/48 Short Crusader

Hi folks, I'll be getting the ball rolling with this Short Crusader;

IMG_8815_zpsjinmicpd.jpg

IMG_8816_zpsnyabtiuk.jpg

The Short Crusader was built to compete in the 1927 Schneider Trophy competition. It first flew on May 4th 1927 (quelle coincidence!) , but even after several modifications it became apparent that it was going to be too slow compared to the competition so it was used as a hack for the high speed team.

On 11th September Flight Officer Schofield was flying the aircraft when he lost control, the control wires to the ailerons had been cross fitted so when he tried to correct a roll, he span into the sea at 150mph. Schofield was thrown clear suffering bad bruising but miraculously no broken bones.

The aircraft was recovered a week later when the crossed wire issue became apparent.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Doug and a very nice choice indeed!

I had to go search on what you're building, she really is a nice looking aircraft!!

You may have a bit of fun with this build as I've have read that the moulding isn't the greatest, nothing bad, just requires a little bit of work to sort out. But it will be worth the effort once she's done.

Look forward to seeing this one completed, good luck with the build and hope its and enjoyable one.

The kit doesn't look too bad actually Rich, I've test/dry fitted a few parts and they seem to match up OK. A few locating lugs are broken off, but the quality of the casting is great.

It's a tiny aircraft, you'd almost think it was 1/72 scale.

• 1 year later...