Spitfire mk.ixc question

stinger16

I'm getting pretty close to starting my next project, I have a lot of aftermarket already ready to go. My question for you guys is, do I have the right seatbelt and can I use what I already have to be accurate

The seatbelt that I do have is hgw sutton qk harness

Thanks in advance

Jeff

The Sutton lasted right through the war, with the (low-back) XVI being the only Mark to differ. For the IXc, the thigh straps were fitted to the framework below the seat, not to the seat itself. The harness was actually known as the "K"; the "QK" was a 1944 harness, which moved back to the corners of the seat, so that the thigh straps became hip straps, but the main harness was identical to the earlier version..

• Like 1

Excuse me for chiming in, but I am building a low back Mk XVI at present, and I note your comment Edgar.

Am I right in thinking the low back XVI still had the same Sutton harness as earlier Marks, but different anchor points for the shoulder straps? Or have I missed something. (another OAM - old age moment)

PR

The low-back XVI was fitted with a fuel tank behind the pilot, which blocked the way for the standard Sutton harness; this led to a four-strap harness, with parachute-style quick-release box (known as the "QL") being fitted.

The two shoulder straps were bolted directly to a point on the headrest armour roughly behind the pilot's neck (note that, at this point, no straps went behind or through the back of the seat,) while the thigh straps moved back to the corners of the seat, so that they came over the pilot's hips (this was to stop the pilot lifting out of the seat, and hitting the canopy, if he bunted into a dive.)

The "box" was fitted to the right-hand hip strap, to which the oxygen hose was also fitted; this brought the hose (almost) along the floor beside the seat, so that it was virtually out of sight.

The QL harness was the same tan colour as the Sutton.