Little or Large ?

I've been building model cars for 'quite a while' and I often wonder if large or small is best...

OK... I've built a LOT of smaller stuff in the past - and TBH - I now consider ANYTHING smaller than 1/12 as 'small'.

I remember getting a great buzz out of building 1/43 model cars. The more parts, the more complex, the better.

I now look at my cabinets stuffed with models I've built over the past years and wonder...

WHICH ones get looked at ???

When friends come round, what do they look at?

My (undeniably INFINITELY better half Samantha) what does she ever look at...

...and to be totally honest - what do I ever look at... ???

It most certainly ISN'T the small stuff.

I really do KNOW the amount of effort and skill that goes into making the 1/43 and even 1/24 scale models.

But put a 1/12 or 1/8 model car on the shelf ???

What does ANYONE (Including YOURSELF) look at ???

The BIG stuff.

I've posted a '360 degree' spin if my man-cave - can you see the point I'm trying to make?

Any opinions anyone?

Roy.

P1010134_zpstwvqhpf4.jpg

P1010135_zpse9op5adp.jpg

P1010136_zpslrq9rjml.jpg

P1010137_zpskqj9ndhn.jpg

P1010138_zpszsqslcpj.jpg

P1010139_zpsm068kwao.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

I'd look at the Ferraris....

Who do you make models for? Yourself or non-modellers? Yes, the latter will always look first at the bigger ones, but are they who you make them for?

Edited by Graham Boak

First off Mate-you need a museum all your own to do that stuff viewing justice.

Put me in the column of those who agree that BIG gets attention sooner than little when they are in proximity. ESPECIALLY if the big ones have scads of visual details as all yours do, That's what I'm trying to obtain with my big Roller.

It's just easier to take-in painstaking work and detail. Yes, MFH kits are 'little' jewels. Imagine when they start some 1/12 and bigger...

Some great looking models, and the larger ones do catch the eye first, but I think it's a case of why do you build models, I build for the enjoyment and relaxation of the build. You can put much more detail into a large model, but any slight mistakes show up more.

Andy

Oh, to be able to display my models like that, instead of their gathering dust on shelves and uncovered bookcases.

For those who chose to admire my models, I find that the more brightly coloured attract the most attention - civilian liveries, as opposed to "boring" camo, but as others have suggested, what are we modelling for ? Pleasure or cudos?

And…….do my eyes deceive me or is that a poster for Carter's Steam Fair gracing your wall ???????

Rog

1/43 ...nice and space-saving but ... how do you do with your eyes? am not a teenager anymore .... :)

1/8 ... huge , fantastic highly detailed (look at POCHER) but today very expensive.

then .. either you do not wear glasses , or you must have a big wallet , choose :)

I guess if you have a really broad range of cars that interest you, scale is less of an issue. If you're only interested in certain subjects though, 1/8 (and to a lesser extent 1/12) is less of an option because the choice is so much more limited.

I do like to build all kinds of cars and scale hasn't been an issue until I started building the bigger stuff and found I enjoyed it more.

What I'm wondering though is what do OTHERS look at?

Yes, I build for MY pleasure and like most of us, frequently add details and bits nobody except me will ever even know exists.

It's just that I've noticed that when friends, relatives etc come round, they don't look at the little stuff.

Perhaps its just because the big stuff is so imposing, it catches the eye.

Just a thought.

Roy.

I would want a closer look at that 126C2 and the 79 :) That what I meant though- the big 1/8 cars do stand out more of course, and I know they're beautifully made, but I'm a lot more interested in the 70's and 80's F1 models myself so that's what I look at, irrespective of scale. It's a shame those Entex kits are so hard to get hold of though.

I would want a closer look at that 126C2 and the 79 :) That what I meant though- the big 1/8 cars do stand out more of course, and I know they're beautifully made, but I'm a lot more interested in the 70's and 80's F1 models myself so that's what I look at, irrespective of scale. It's a shame those Entex kits are so hard to get hold of though.

I did post a small bit on the Ferrari C126 a few years back.

One of the builds I did when I was a bit less obsessive about adding umpteen extras.....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933989-112-ferrari-c126-c2/?hl=%2Bferrari+%2Bc126

There's also a bit about restoring the VERY sad Lotus 72:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947745-lotus-72-re-decal-finished/

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

It's just that I've noticed that when friends, relatives etc come round, they don't look at the little stuff.

Perhaps its just because the big stuff is so imposing,

Speaking of imposing big stuff; who do you look at first when they come into your room?

Katie Price or Miley Cyrus?

• 1 month later...

I do like to build all kinds of cars ........

...... the big stuff is so imposing, it catches the eye.

Roy.

Huh! 1/8th - that's puny!

Here's my larger than life size open wheel single seater,

which is a permanent work in progress.

image001.jpg

• Like 1

hi all,i prefer building and collecting 1/9 motorbikes due to having fat fingers,but i wish there was the range of 1/12,i look on with envy and admire the work on smaller scales but as you say roy it's the big ones that draw the eyes first,you have a diverse collection and with our hobby build whatever pleases you