1/35 AS-90 Royal Horse Artillary Iraq 2003

So the Armour bug has well and truly bitten me now and I thought I'd share my next build as a WIP.

For now this will be just a placeholder, mainly as a shameless plea for reference material! We have just had our first child, in fact I'm still on paternity leave, so I don't expect to start for a couple of weeks or so and certainly don't expect to make quick progress!

The kit I will use will be the Trumpeter one

3B96776E-9115-419A-A489-0164C331C2EC.jpg

With some additional detail parts, 2 Eduard sets and the RB barrel, a must for the sagged boot over the base of the barrel.

BFB501B5-E321-4E0A-8B38-F0B623596671.jpg

Also the bison decals for the markings.

There is a lot of discussion about regarding the correct colour for British desert vehicles but I saw this and thought I'd give it a try

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/real-colors/33-british-sand-yellow.html

I'm sure under weathering it'll be close enough.

Speaking of which I'm going to try some chipping back the the disruptive NATO camo underneath that's visible on these guns in the few photos I've found...

Finally I'm thinking of buying the black dog set for the AS-90 to add a little stowage, this one:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=10599

It looks good, but I'm not sure how much of it is relevant for a gulf war gun...

Hopefully I'll be along with updates shortly...in the mean time any tips on building the kit, or better still good sources of reference for pictures of the guns in theatre would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 2

Hi Phil,

I just finished one but did it in NATO colours and produced my own cypher and D bty flag.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980750-bae-systems-as90-39-cal/

I love these kits. this is the second I've done.

Couple of problems with the kit are the Barrel transit clamp is much too long, it needs the "legs" cutting down and also the Convoy light hangs down a bit too far. other than that it realy is a cracking kit.

Enjoy.

Hamden,

great photo's , the first one clearly shows how the Transit clamp is too long.

Can I also suggest getting some lenses too, so much better than painting them. I got mine from "little cars" used 3.5mm for headlamps, everything else was 2mm

Edited by Kevdan

Thanks all for the interest, those photos sure are useful, especially the Transit clamp as pointed out Kevdan. I have been looking at the little lenses, thanks for supplying the sizes that saves some trial and error! I keep looking at the plastic longing to start now but I need to find the time to get back to the bench....

Thanks for both of those, the PDF on the link has some great pics, I was after some showing the wear to the temporary sand finish and there's a few good ones there, plus a couple that show some of the bits in the black dog set in place!

• Like 1

Right then! Got a bit of an update, the mother in law is staying which meant I got a few hours at the bench over the weekend, I should be finishing some half built projects but.....

3163F1AA-7DCC-48EC-983C-B1732BF9F6CC.jpg

1591B45A-AF01-4A77-B583-EE51FEA6330B.jpg

80 mins of work on Saturday afternoon got me this far (very precise timing as it was completed during the Tigers vs Wasps game, which sadly tigers managed to win!).

The wheels are test fitted only, the joys of poly caps. I had read on line that the fit of the tracks can be a touch loose. There is adjustment provided for in the kit via the 'float' in the idler wheel mount and the 2 part shock absorber on the mount, meaning you can set the angle of the idler mount to get the correct track fit.

1E71257F-17F8-4A83-A0D7-253E5A35A574.jpg

Once happy with the fit I committed to glue with the idler mount, roughly right angles to the hull seemed to give a decent track fit. I had looked at the bronco tracks for this, but Trumpeter have done a decent job with the rubber band ones.

Not the best pictures as I was lazy and used my phone. I will break out the camera for the next round!!

Now the glue is cured I have primed the lower hull and wheels plus the tracks ready to paint them.

I have also started on the top half of the hull, mainly removing detail to make way for PE.

Thanks for looking in and stay tuned!

Phil

• Like 3

You've started, that's half the battle. I like these big crater-makers, so I'll keep an eye on this build if you don't mind.

• Like 1

Not sure if I mentioned it but the convoy light over the rear door hangs too low needs to be cut back a little :)

I think you did mention it in a previous post, if it's the bit I think it is then the Eduard Etch set has a replacement for it, so I can alter the hight, just need a decent photo...

Time for another update

I decided to paint the lower hull and tracks with the base colour, as I thought this might be easier now rather than later.

FF44D833-B491-4E6C-AF27-538E2E188213.jpg

AFB218FB-405E-4FA5-BE01-7B3500C5ACDE.jpg

I have fitted the tracks too but neglected to take a picture! The sand colour is the Mig British desert sand as per the link in the first post. I think the colour is pretty close and it sprayed ok. I only say ok as my AB was playing up, I think I have a split nozzle!

I have since fitted the tracks as well. I painted them first with black primer, Mig again, then with a mix of tamiya metalics to give a steel colour, I will paint the rubber pads later (I'm lazy and will have to paint fewer when the tracks are fitted!).

When I test fitted the tracks the lugs perfectly fitted into the holes, so I thought joining the tracks would be simple...now the paint has closed the holes up they no longer fit!! In the end I cut off the lugs and glued the tracks with rapid Araldite, the only glue I've found that will stick the vynil tracks.

In between painting it has been a mammoth etch session.

8E871F3E-0D27-43B0-8203-256123F94791.jpg

D3DA5E9D-1757-452B-960A-6E8BE009C25D.jpg

828F1129-2B3A-421B-A8F8-65874FB39B12.jpg

90EFB3BA-B499-4C7D-925A-CF48FD1DBFF7.jpg

I do like the detail you get with etch but it's a pain to fit sometimes, plus I really don't like superglue!!

What you see I'd most of the first Eduard set, I still have the second set of grills and the mesh storage rack for the top of the turret to go!

Kevdan, thanks for the tip about the convoy light I now know what you mean!

To balance the PE I have some resin to use! My Accurate Armour order arrived Saturday, but I'm yet to fully look over it all so I'll save that for the next update. One other part that did arrive was the Live-Resin GPMG.

A4E4594D-E8EC-4F4A-87C2-3235DFA8BD08.jpg

4932E475-61BA-46DE-8021-4E00AF0AEDC1.jpg

It's a real beaut, better than my camera skills show it off!! I ordered direct from russian and got 3 off guns for just over ÂŁ10 posted, they arrived in just over a week. Impressive service!

That's it for now, comments very welcome!

Phil

• Like 2