Camera Advice

Colin W

Hi

I was broken onto last week and my Canon G12 was stolen. This was great camera for general use but for model photoghaphy produced pics with quite low contrast and they needed work to get a good image.

Has anyone ant good experiencees of recent cameras before I start looking?

Thanks

Colin W

Sorry to hear about this but at least you can replace it with something unlike paintings or jewellery which are unique.

I would say that if you are used to Canon, stick to Canon. Either the latest G-series or a Powershot if you want a non-DSLR. They are all very good cameras these days. Maybe get one with RAW to allow some easier post-editting

Andy

Fair point but the latest G series has only a fixed screen. No use on a tripod photographing models. There are so many on the market, all trying to do the same thing. Crazy

Most 'small' cameras have a fixed screen nowadays and no viewfinder either unless you want to pay daft money. I think the Canon 70D or one of that ilk has a flexible screen but that's a DSLR. Most of the big name names are worth looking at but as you say, there are too many to see in one go. I've heard good reports about WEX in Norfolk if you are near enough to travel. It's even been said that they are worth a day out ( and Hannants aren't that far away either )

I've just noticed you are in Thailand, so perhaps Norfolk is a bit far away, sorry!!!

May I suggest the Fujifilm HS50EXR? It has a pivoting screen and the image quality is excellent for a bridge. I took photos with my older HS30EXR which I could never recreate with my canon 60D. Excellent value for money.

I wouldn't say that a fixed screen on a tripod is of "no use." The fixed screens can still be seen well from a fairly wide range of viewing angles but I appreciate that you've been spoiled a bit with the G12. I often use my G15 on a tripod for shooting RFI pictures and don't have any issues with not having a tilting screen. I highly recommend the G15 and if I were on "Desert Island Cameras" that would be the one I'd grab if the incoming tide threatened the rest of the kit! You're familiar with the G12 already so you won;t have much to learn about the set up and I find the results sharper than my D7000 before post-processing. I upgraded to this from a G9 last year and have been extremely happy with the results. I even bought the Canon underwater case for some scuba shots and was equally impressed with those results.

The G16 is the most recent G series but I got a good deal on a G15 and didn't need the G16's wifi - I think that's the main difference between those two, as well as the G16 just edging the G15 on some performance figures. As you know from the G12, these things are solidly built and feel like you're using a real camera. For me, another big plus was having a useable optical viewfinder as well - essential for skiing holidays.

G15 - can't recommend it highly enough!

Cheers,

Roger