Rare-Plane IA-58

Thanks Chris and Rich.

Chris, earlier in the thread, someone posted several pictures of that bird, not sure if they were taken at Middle Wallop or not though.

It's been a while since much was done on this bird due to my final exams, but those are done now (yay) and so progress has resumed.

Got more done in engine fronts:

1177617A-03D5-46A4-89D9-F729A6C3189B_zps

Put a bevel on the inside edge to replicate the real thing, then re-glued and re-puttied.

E9E99067-39CB-4529-A469-FEB1A23BEF22_zps

Doesn't look all that good -_-

Last bit of proppery involved extending the prop shafts with bits of sprue because I realized I'd made the shafts the length of the bit that needs to stick out.

0880FB6E-A9C0-4815-9363-578553D3A6A5_zps

Also done my landing gear covers.

237BA078-3D5B-446D-AF77-FB1638240D9D_zps

The paint had to be scraped off the first on because the ink underneath had a texture that was showing through.

Also got some filling done on the wing seams.

221154CF-6C57-4F35-9D58-7F47C8B35FD6_zps

This is actually the second coat of filler, but it looks about the same as the first one.

It grows ever more plane-like :)

9B57B48C-AD14-44F8-A767-C95DE45BE134_zps

Getting this square took some doing.

I was feeling a bit of paint withdrawal, having not painted anything visible in months, so I did this:

A71E3E70-E8E6-441D-AE1A-DA358A3CC964_zps

Which turned out like this:

F37161F5-E7CB-4E46-8C40-C36169A40672_zps

Pretty good, little bit of scraping will need doing before the end paint job, but not much.

While I had the paint out, I did the prop tips too.

01964F16-3B62-47A2-BB2F-D93A34193C01_zps

Now all the paint is drying. Unfortunate how enamels take so long eh?

My next conundrum was a gun sight. Nothing is included in the kit, but it's quite obvious in the real thing. I didn't have anything in the spares box, so scratch building was my only option.

Prototype #1

E9D4FBAD-6F45-4532-844A-27724743673C_zps

Was too big. Solution; unfold the metal, make a smaller copy of the same shape, then fold that up the same way as the original.

3A5DDA58-ACCA-473F-853A-57D6EE16D726_zps

Which led to this:

7F95F507-5668-49AE-984C-8C6411437226_zps

A tiny and ridiculously hard to photograph piece of metal.

As small as this piece is, it's actually still too big, but I wasn't going to go any smaller, so I guy a recess for it into the front coaming.

Here's the gunsight in place, and an overall shot of the state of progress.

F37161F5-E7CB-4E46-8C40-C36169A40672_zps

Cheers,

K

:pilot:

Edited by kwaterous
  • Like 1

Looking good, I always prime my models using Tamiya rattle can or Halfords primer, which allows me to see any imperfections that may need rubbing back or seams that need filling more, if you can get some micro mesh clothes, these are a godsend and allows the primer once dry to be rubbed smooth, another primer which I have found to be very good is Halfords filler primer

Hi Kev,

I do t tend to use primer, I always seem to tu. Out and I've found that a light sanding followed by a wipe down has the same effect. As for testing seams, I brush paint, usually a metallic, over tip to highlight any imperfections.

Today's update:

I got the engine front pretty much finished up

C48C6CCF-FADF-4E96-9859-3EC55418F682_zps

They might need a tad more refining but they're close to being done.

Also sanded down my wing roots.

B9E76605-6BD9-4A14-988A-4C96B1E95A4B_zps

More work will be needed here.

Next up, getting really close to the final shape now with the engines on.

48A438A8-F6CF-4B4A-B268-5BA7D53EE4DB_zps

Other engine-related stuff, prop blades painted up

8F592DC8-558C-49A9-8581-7B2D3F8CD988_zps

Looks better than this in person

Last up for today was some serious seam-testing with aluminum metalizer (I had it out for the prop blades)

Cheers,

K

Edited by kwaterous
  • Like 3

Looking like a Pucara now!

Take your time with the filler/sand/priming and make sure you get the best surface finish you can. Once the colours go on they'll show up any imperfections so it's best to get them while you can.

So have you overcome your worries about doing a vacform now?

Steve

Thanks Steve and Tony,

I know that I'll be sanding, checking, filling, sanding repeat for a rather long time yet -_-

As for smashing it to bits, I've come close a couple of times, but I've resisted so far.

Anyway, been busy with other things, so not a lot of progress

Gun sight has been fittest and painted.

115B45F6-F28E-40C8-A5E3-75DB6BBCCDCB_zps

This is after a rather lot of gap filling with white glue

Only other progress to report is that the props are painted up now.

DF222711-8E82-4ECD-8037-B22A54A901EB_zps

These will be tidied up a bit once dry.

The kinky other thing I've done is one more round of sanding on the main joins, and I think I'm getting close to having those sorted. The I'll start in the engines... :(

Cheers,

K

Nice job so far. I've never seen one of these kits built up.

Trevor

Just pulled this from storage, somewhat battered with a broken nose leg and I note the canopy has yellowed. Built around 1984 when I did a whole series of Falklands combatants from both sides. I think I used wheels from a Jaguar kit, and metal ejection seats helped prevent tail sitting. I filled the rear of the prop blades with milliput, and didn't bother to open up the main undercarriage bays. Other construction details fade with time.....

image.jpg1.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

Keep up the good work, it can be built...!

Peter

Okay, sanding isn't much fun to take pictures of, but I did take one.

DBC6CB35-051B-4FBE-878A-C27CDB78804F_zps

Boring, eh? There's still kore sanding to go too :(

On a more interesting note, I do believe scratchbuildingb from plastic card qualifies for this build too, right?

I got bored.

Guess what?

C07D105F-5F6B-4EEA-81C1-B5A4B95E9F0F_zps

A rather mean looking tank destroyer is taking shape...

11146FAC-2196-4BC0-BB4E-438AEEDA985E_zps

Gun is *a bit* long, but it's a WHIF anyways and it looks cool.

Only issue I can see popping up is tracks. Can anybody reccommend a source for some?

TIA

Cheers,

K

• Like 1

I think you really need to start a separate thread for this new model......

If you can't source any suitable tracks perhaps it could be a hover tank destroyer?

Steve

It's nice to see you have time to get side tracked... :D ...and I just realised that was a pun as well!

You've made great progress I see since I was last on here, at this rate you'll have plenty of time for a second one! :D

Just don't get too side tracked, we want to see her in the galley, keep up the great work.

oh and my vote is a hover tank as well........if you keep scratch building it you may as well start a thread here as it would be eligible!

As for the tank, an new thread has been started. I'd prefer not to have a hover tank, tracks would be better in my mind.

Anyway, I've got another one of those rather boring photos, showing (hopefully) the last application of filler.

4CE73C44-180B-44F7-A479-EB795014565A_zps

Filler was only needed in a few places, and I think I got them all.

Cheers,

K

• Like 1

Well, after tonight it's paint time!!!!!!

Got all the sanding done. I didn't take a picture because it looks exactly like the last 2.

Next up was replacing the surface detail that the sanding had destroyed. Roll out the aluminum tape:

95AFFD67-517B-461A-B0CF-74FA94DA6553_zpsat this point there's still a bunch of pannels to do, but you get the idea.

Best up was re-scribing... Ugh. Got it done. Eventually.

BBCB1F6E-FA39-4C6B-822F-57314EF4D36A_zps

Of course it was right at this point I realized in still had to add the pylons....

Cheers,

K

Great job, now I dying to she her painted!

It's been a great build to watch, I love the way you have tackled each problem as it came without too much fuss!

It's a great build, keep up the great work!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich,

As for tackling problems with no fuss, I wrack my brain trying to figure out solutions, but you people only see the final result, which usually works allright.

Also, PAINT!!!!!!!

F53E3262-7A23-4A1E-B618-91662F4856FD_zps

Parts toward the tail are still wet in this one.

And the best part of a paint job - unmasking

F8EF6CAD-51AB-4757-8C37-9E8C5EC49ADA_zps

Only one serious bleed problem! Yay

Cheers,

K

Edit: just noticed how blue the bottom looks, not sure what my phone is doing, but it's more gray in reality

Edited by kwaterous

I'll call it the home stretch once I've got all

The paint on.

With that in mind, I've gloss coated to bottom to protect it from the handling it's going to get when painting the topside.

F092530E-C9B6-4D31-BFB1-FCE5EB68A0DD_zps

Bloody thing still looks too darn blue.

With any lunch there'll be another update later tonight.

Cheers,

K

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This one was (obviously) a failed to finish. This was because I had a weird reaction in the paint coat when I went to pain the green. The green paint cracked, and wrecked toe brown paint around it too.

I'm going to give this one a rest, then I'll try to figure out what went wrong. Luckily I'd only painted one wing before I noticed the issue.

I'll still try to get it finished, I haven't come this far just to bin it :D

Cheers,

K