Hi All,

Well, after getting THIS thing finished....

DH-FG-1-154_zpskrszcfva.jpg

I felt i needed a break from Corsairs. So, off from the Shelf of Doom comes the 72nd scale Trumpeter Wyvern S.4. A seemingly nice kit with delicately molded surface detail and somewhat surpringly, rather accurate, so i'm told.

Here's the state of play as of today. This kit last saw daylight back in i think 2008...

DH-Wyvern-166_zpsq3lu9bav.jpg

Construction, as they say, started with the cockpit, then quickly turned to the massive contra rotating propeller. Whereupon all motivation vanished and the project hit a brick wall. Fortunately nothing had been glued together so no damage done.

Building up the multi piece Horizontal tailplanes now. Will finish off the painting of those cockpit parts too.

Stay tuned for another exciting episode of Problematical Turboprop Theatre!

david

• Like 5

This should prove interesting. Despite some of their recent abominations of kits, Trumpeter really did nail it with this kit and it's 1/48 sibling.

Martin

It's funny- one of the biggest drawbacks of this model is an almost total lack of guidance for painting. Fortunately i have the 48th scale version as well and it has much more detail.

Funny how they missed something like that.

Tailplanes drying, got the left outboard wing together. The sprues attach to the leading edge along the mating surfaces and it takes some aggressive work with a stick to get the faying surfaces ready. I'm waiting for some reference books to come in, so i'm doing a lot of gluing of bits to other bits, then set everything aside so the solvents can outgas, etc.

david

Edited by David H

Nice to see this going on, i found it a nice kit to build but had a bit of a snag with the wings when doing them spread. Came out nice enough in the end though!

Looking forward to seeing this progress

Cheers now

Bob

Just a minor update.

The outer wing panels are assembled and drying. Wingtips are in place since she will be built with wings spread. Will probably add the wingtip lights to the wingtips next. Tyres are halfway thru being painted.

I've looked at just about every online build of a Wyvern, both in 72nd and 48th, and still cannot decide on an ordnance load out. Lots of people add the torpedo, and almost everyone does their Wyvern in Operation Musketeer markings. Much like how everyone builds Skyraiders with that bumblebee on the rear fuselage.

Not me. Looking for something different.

David

When I built my 1/48 Classic Airframes kit I went without the torpedo, since they were never carried operationally (as far as I know) and no Operation Musketeer markings, just it's namesake painted on it's nose.

Wyvern_zpsurswncgj.jpg

I like it. Nice and simple. I have been leaning towards rockets, debating between drop tanks and bombs.

david

OK, i'm struggling with one of Trumpeters "WTF?" Moments with regard to the tyres.

I'm looking for an aftermarket replacement. I know CMK makes a detail set for the entire wheel well area. Any opinions or data points on either the CMK or Pavla sets?

david

The Wyverns were very gutsy fuel wise so were rarely seen operationally without drop tanks if that helps with your previous question about load out?

Duncan B

Yes it does, Duncan.

As a pilot myself, there's no such thing as too much gas (unless you're on fire, of course), so i think i will go with dual tanks and a bomb on the centerline. May or may not go with rockets and RATOG.

david

Today's score:

David :3

Carpet Monster:1

One of the lenses for the wingtips got "pinged" from my tweezer and landed in the carpet below. A search failed to find any survivors.

Time to whip out the scrap clear sprue i guess….

D-scouraged.

Minor update, major construction milestone….

Got the fuselage halves glued together. Whoever designed this kit was clearly passionate about the Wyvern.

david

• Like 3