Bristol Tourer Seaplane from Airfix F2b and scratch

Thought it was time I presented the result of my efforts to take an Airfix F2b and turn it into a Bristol Tourer Seaplane.

It took far too long but has proved that I can take a kit and change it into something else using reasonable scratch building techniques. All of this was originally inspired by The Old Mans excellent WW1 scratch builds, I just thought I'd go half way to start with.

Anyway the history of the Tourer is basically that at the end of WW1 manufacturers like Bristol had to diversify to stay in business and like Avro they looked to the civilian market and their new found fascination with flying. The tourer came in a number of types, two seat, three seat, open passenger compartment, closed in and a seaplane.

There's a part WIP for anyone interested, I'm afraid I lost patience with posting progress; must give up the day job!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969660-airfix-f2b-conversion-to-bristol-tourer-seaplane/?hl=%2Bbristol+%2Btourer

There is a bit of a mistake which I have to confess, the logo is wrong! I had them specially made based on artwork I found on the internet and overlooked the fact that this is the later Bristol logo used after the late '20's. One day I might correct it but getting white bespoke decals made is not cheap!

IMG_25681_zpsb1e95239.jpgIMG_3356_zpslrjwxora.jpgIMG_3378_zpsv3gu9pg9.jpgIMG_3376_zpscth9fgq6.jpgIMG_3375_zpsfojqezdc.jpg

Edited by bristol boy
  • Like 16

Thanks to all for your kind words, it's encouraging to think others see a quality job.

I'm afraid every time I complete anything and photograph it I immediately see all the blobs and faults, but that's how we learn to do better next time I guess!

An even more obscure Bristol type will be posted soon!

That's a fantastic build that fires the imagination! I'm thinking Indiana Jones (who's this "Biggles" chap I hear about?).

Is that white EZLine for the smart rigging? Being white, the colour perhaps looks a bit stark. I haven't used it yet, but is it possible to tone down EZLine with, for instance, a grey marker pen or similar?

Sterling work and an inspiring converation piece!

Kind regards,

Joachim

As an obsessive scratchbuilder - I like it a lot!

Do not worry about logo - I do not see a difference between this from photo and from model. However, I suppouse that she must have some civil registration finally - is there any knowledge about it?

Cheers

J-W

Fantastic work! Interesting subject and wonderful paintwork (and I can't see what's wrong with the Bristol logo either). The detailing and photography make it look like 1:24 or bigger. I had a look at my Airfix F2B in the stash and I'm still shaking my head in disbelief...

Regards,

Adrian

Thank again for all the kind comments, a bit overwhelming but very encouraging!

CedB

My obscure Bristol is finished but still to be photographed, so watch this space! All I'll say is that it was Bristol's answer to the MoD brief that was eventually filled by the Lysander.

Spitfire31

The rigging is fishing line, I've used it on all my biplane builds (all two of them) and feel it works quite well.

JWM

Some Tourers were sold and received Civil codes, there are some photos on the internet, don't think the Seaplanes attracted any buyers.

stevehnz

Glad you like the tapes, I sanded off the ridge and furrow effect and used very thin strips of Tamiya tape secured with Klear, fiddly but worth the effort.

IMG_2641_zpsa06d8622.jpg

• Like 1