Hi all.

I like to go berserk this year and start a new GB every month or so in the attemp to finish more than a handful of kits with so-so success till now. Out of my three options (Sageburner; Raspberry Ripple and Alcock and Browne) I choose "Alcock and Browne" - mainly because the super simple one colour livery (the rest is decals) and the prominent Union Jack on the tail.

Base kit is the Hasegawa F-4 in the Revell boxing with decals from CAM, Eduard interior, Quickboost seats, Two Mikes 150 Aero 1 tank (will be used as baggage pod), Red Roo Skyhawk 150 gal tanks and Alley Cat seamless intakes:

p1f-4_zpsz5qomq3h.jpg

Maybe I will add Aires exhaust nozzles which I have in my stash for another subject and maybe an Aires cockpit - but I fear this will involve too much work (time...) so I guess I will leave it with the Eduard set.

Any comments/warnings/info/etc. welcome :-)

Rene

• Like 5

I got the Aires exhausts for a Whif RAF Mirage IV conversion. Funnily they will be great for this task as they fit the Mirage fuselage perfectly. Which I found odd as the Spey Mirage would have had a wider fuselage to accomodate the engines...

I will use the kit exhausts then - I painted them already so this will help to shorten the build time a tad more ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I started some shy work on the exhausts. Yes: Exhausts! Not the cockpit. Call me Punk.

As mentioned by stever219 above the size of the Aires parts will create some issues at the fuselage/exhaust joint. So in order to keep it simple I go ahead with the kit parts. The exhausts are sprayed with old Testors Metalizer paint and then treated with Tamiya weathering set:

f4p2x_zpssolcwxco.jpg

Next step will be to cut the fuselage parts to prepare them for the AlleyCat seamless intakes. At this stunning speed the kit will be finished soon...

René

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I bit more than I can chew again with all those GBs I signed up to. Progress on this is a bit slow at the moment so this post is more a proof that I am still working on this.

I primed the cockpit parts (used Humbrol 127 IIRC as this matches the colour of the Eduard set better than the correct colour. Strangely it looks much browner on the pic below)and attached almost all Etch parts except some levers. The Eduard instructions are sometimes a bit vague to me and after some more research I will have to reposition one part:

p5f-4_zps1njviotq.jpg

The sides of the cockpit are in the same stage. So some more detail painting and weathering before I can close the fuselage around the cockpit.

Rene

• Like 5

Did you wind up with a very small step between the new intakes and the kit parts? Mine aren't glued on yet so a bit more fitting's not out of the question. You've done better with the brassware in the cockpit than I have.

• Like 1

Did you wind up with a very small step between the new intakes and the kit parts? Mine aren't glued on yet so a bit more fitting's not out of the question. You've done better with the brassware in the cockpit than I have.

The LHS has a very (very very) smal step but I am sure this will be gone after a bit of sanding/dryfitting/sanding. The RHS fits perfectly.

Meanwhile both intakes received white paint on the insides and the fans are painted too. So next post will be with some more pics.

Rene

Thanks for the confirmation: my right intake fits better than the left, but there really isn't a lot in it. I just deepened the cut out in the kit fuselage slightly on the left and the problem seems to be sorted. Proof will be when the lower wing skin goes (won't!) go on.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Ahh "nice" alias nimrod54. I should dig out my Father Ted series from my harddrive once more :-)

I finished enough work on the cockpit to close up the fuselage last night - but no pics yet. Below are some pictures of the AlleyCat intakes installed in the fuselage. I just thinned the edges of the palstic parts a litte and the resin pieces snugged in. I have never seen better fitting resin parts.

pxf-4_zpsnuwxtqzf.jpg

Rene

• Like 3

So, copilot panel fixed, cockpit weathered a bit and fuselage closed :

pxaf-4_zpstcdyiaog.jpg

The lower wing part is now also glued to the fuselage after some sanding on the mateing surfaces. There is a gap between the lower wing and the fuselage/intakes which needs filler. Not only the resin pieces but also the kit parts do not fit well here. The upper wing parts are only dry fitted yet and the left side shows some more fitting problems:

pxbf-4_zpsbf0pzifl.jpg

The forward u/c bay was painted white and I treid a Valejo wash but it did not work as I hoped. Will have to improve this and still need to pick out some details in different colours.

At last it feels like progress...

Rene

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Huge gaps? Take a look at my other build: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980955-148-de-havilland-dh-88-comet-heritage-aviation/ :yikes:

(Edit: I just found that I did not post the pics of the DH88 fuselage to wing joint...)

I found that Magic Putty works very nicely as excess putty can be easily removed with a cotton swap as long as the putty is still wet. So there is not so much sanding involved - and less details to be sanded away.

Thanks.

Rene

• 1 month later...