Rafale over Libya - questions about the loadout

alex

Good morning,

I'm about to get the infos for one of my next projects - a Rafale B or C, used in the operation "Harmattan" for hitting the bad guys. After some research on the net, I got to following points:

Scalp: used by navy (one each aircraft) or air force (two each aircraft, later reduced to one). Along with two large tanks, 4 MICA, no other pods. Air Force used scalps only on two-seater. As only 15 scalps were used - has anyone the list of the aircraft which fired those?

AASM: usually 4 per aircraft, two to three tanks, 4 MICA, and again, mostly no pod, since they are INS/GPS-Guided

GBU-12: 4 per aircraft, two to three tanks, 4 MICA, and a damocles pod for laser designator, but only on the single-seat (but not on the two-seater- buddy lasing?)

So, can anyone help with following points:

only 4 laser guided bombs per aircraft were used. Any rule about two or three tanks?

usually no damocles on the twin seater (but with some exceptions?)

if I have to build a damocles pod - can I use a US lantirn pod (as in the hasegawa weapon set) as a base, and what to change?

Any help in this matter is well appreciated. Oh, et dès que je comprend bien le français, un lien francophon peut aussi bien aider! ;)

Alex

http://www.escadrilles.org/reportages/harmattan-zara/

• Like 1

Thanks, I think I have made up my mind. As I also have a F-16 and a Tiffy in my stash, I will do the Rafale with the Scalp, which luckily is included in the kit. So I will have 3 different airplanes (Rafale, Tiffy, Viper) from 3 countries (F, GB, USA), doing 3 type of missions (Air interdiction, CAS, SEAD) with 3 different weapon systems (Scalp, PW, HARM). I thinks that's it! :)

Alex

The 1:72-Hobby Boss twoseater: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/101481-hobby-boss-87245-dassault-rafale-b. Along with the new decal sheet from Syhart: http://syhartdecal.fr/references.php?lang=FR&ref=48/72-915&page=description . Hopefully, it will looks like this in the end: http://rafalefan.e-monsite.com/medias/images/rafale-scalp.jpg?fx=r_550_550

The Rafale M looks like an earlier version, it lacks the electro-optical sensors right in front of the windscreen. it is included in the air-force rafales, and in one of the olimp resin sets.

Alex

• Like 1

Looking forward to it! :)

Speaking of which, the Hobby Boss kit includes - what it calls the - Apache. Is there any visual difference between it and the SCALP?

The Rafale M looks like an earlier version, it lacks the electro-optical sensors right in front of the windscreen.

Are you referring to the Hobby Boss kit or...?

EDIT: I think I see what you mean. I haven`t actually noticed those before. I think the Hobby Boss kit for the Rafale M lacks them and their C and B kits have them. Also, Revell`s and newer Italeri kits seem to have them too for the M version. What do those things do? :D Does their absence limit the weapons choice for the model?

Edited by Fin

In fact, Apache and Scalp are not exactly the same (Apache has submunitions against runways, and scalp has a large single warhead). But they look rather the same, as the scalp is developed from the apache. I'll check once the kit arrived. I have anyway two Storm Shadows from the Typhoon-kit, so no real problem there.

For the optronic: no, as far as I know. It's just a sensor used for air to air targeting/identification.

Alex

lol

And it would be sponsored directly by the French government looking to build on the image of the latest foreign sale (the 24 batch to Qatar).

Seriously though, the 2011 intervention in Libya would have sufficient substance for an aircraft GB.

Let's see... Rafale, Mirage 2000, Tornado, Eurofighter, Mirage F1CR, F-16, Gazelle, Tiger, Puma, Dauphin, Aloutette III, Hawkeyes and Sentrys, Transall, KC-135, KDC-10, B-767 Tanker, Atlantique SIGINT, B-2, F-15, AV8B, AC-130, A-10, P-3C, Gripen. F/A-18... plus the targets! Yes, definetly enough potential for a GB

Alex

I think you`ve skipped the Super Etendard. :D The F-16 had quite a few versions present, from the MLU of the European nations to the Block 60 of UAE. All in all, there`s something for everyone who wants to build a nowadays military aircraft, even though sort of lacking in representation on the Russian/Chinese side.

Two guesses: 1) Double seater has less fuel than the single seater, so I think they didn't want to add more drag on the shorter range aircraft unless really neccessary. 2) They just didn't have enough to supply each single aircraft, so they had just one pod per twoship.

The AASM has a GPS/INS-seeker, so no need for a targeting pod, if you know the target in advance or someone tells you the coordinates (and is not moving, of course...). They can be used however to retreive the coordinates and feed them to the weapon. For the GBU-12, I guess they did buddy lasing.

Alex

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Has anyone seen a Rafale carrying a mix load of Sagem Hammer and GBU-12 or a Scalp on one of the wing hard points and a cluster of three bombs on the opposite wing hard point? 

I m thinking of a mix load Rafale but I want to confirm if theres such a configuration in operational deployments. 

Edited by stalal

SAGEM is no more, that's SAFRAN.

Only the latest version of AASM use laser for terminal guidance.

So at least for the first two, there's no sense to bring GBU-12 together, as then a designation pod must be loaded, to be used with only half the bombs.

Also, in my mind, no sense to bring bombs on a scalp mission, as the missile is a stand-off weapon with 250km range

• Like 1

Never seen a picture of this loadout configuration. It looks a bit too mixed to me. As Antione said, either you go for a distant strike with Scalps, or go into the battle with LGB.

Alex