Print in magazines getting smaller?

SeaVenom

That is a very good point Jonners.

A lot of the problems are caused by the fact that the software can do loads of jazzy things that software designers think seem like a really good idea and when the people running the show find this out they want to use all those bells and whistles in the mistaken belief that because they are there they must be of benefit and will increase impact and sales. Maybe it is time the software companies actually asked the guys running the presses and platemaking equipment what should and shouldn't be in the software.

Maybe it is time the software companies actually asked the guys running the presses and platemaking equipment what should and shouldn't be in the software.

Better still, why not ask magazine readers what they do and don't like to see...... :banghead::doh::rolleyes:

• Like 1

With 25 years in print, and design - I can sympathise with many of the comments here.

One major problem with designers today is that there is a lack of understanding about typography - even down to basics such as when a serif typeface might be a better choice than a sans serif one. Kerning and Leading seem to be alien to some designers too, as does line length.

Good typography makes things effortlessly readable and comprehensible ( as well as beautiful too). If you've ever read something, and it seemed to be easy to do so, and you understood it, and your eyes weren't tired at the end; odds on it was down to good typography, not just good writing style.

As for running text over images that have light and dark areas: Don't. Just put the caption underneath. Sometimes good design is about simplicity.

Cheers

jonners

All very true.

Designers clearly have a wealth of knowledge about design and design techniques. However, there's an old saying which applies in this field as in so much else:

Knowledge is knowing how to do it;

Wisdom is understanding whether or not it's a good idea to do it.

To be fair though - there are other issue which perhaps influence text size:If you increase type size without editing down the word count or reducing image sizes, you will add pages. With a magazine you cant just add one page - you have to add a 4 page folding section, so it can be folded in and stapled ( saddle stitched`). So thats potentially 3 more pages to fill with either content or adverts.

Adding another 4 page sections increases print costs, and also as you get more pages you have to watch the mag's thickness to make sure it will still fold properly. As you increase page count you "may" have to reduce your paper stock thickness and/ or weight (the two arent necessarily the same). Ideally you'd print onto a coated stock as this tends to improve improve reproduction, but coated stocks are more expensive.....

You see where I'm heading with this?

Jonners - just point out print issues and costs can and do affect design decisions too

• Like 2

When I first started this thread I wondered if maybe I was just imagining things but it's great to see I'm not the only one who's noticed this. And the point about these magazine pages being done on computer screens is an interesting one. That said you would think the makers of these magazines would take one look at them hot off the press and realise that even people with good eyesight would have trouble reading those pages. It's ridiculous and as far as I can see there's simply no need for it.

In fact you'd think larger print would actually be good for magazine makers as it would be easier to fill a magazine with articles and would be cheaper. They could get away with putting less on a page (not that I'm saying magazines should have much less content)

Which leads me on to a bit of a conspiracy theory. Anybody guess what it is?

This is the test that any modelling magazine has to pass.

Can it be read by a middle aged man (with reading glasses) sat in the smallest room in the house lit by a low watt energy saving light bulb?

After all this is where most magazines of this type are read.

• Like 2

print is being made smaller to allow for fee paying adverts..............smaller the print, the more advertising space they can sell

Check out Railway Modeller, they have been doing it for more than 10 years

print is being made smaller to allow for fee paying adverts..............smaller the print, the more advertising space they can sell

Check out Railway Modeller, they have been doing it for more than 10 years

That could well be the case but there again quite a few pages don't have much advertising if any at all.

• 2 months later...

Ayup All...

It may just be my (allegedly) cynical side, but isn't this all really about not enuff copy to entertain/inform the reader, and not really Typography or style ? Hell, they have so many contributors to build the bloody things in all the mags, and tell you how and what they did in their own words, Its not like the 'editorial staff' don't have time to spell check and bring it all together into a coherent package is it ?

I say bring back he style of the original SAM. Loads of writing, fewer pictures. Much more informative. Can you tell I haven't bought a mag in oooh, at least five years ? Hell, I don't even bother to go to smiths each month to graze them anymore. I think it's much better to build models instead of reading about others building them. And certainly not for what they charge for a mag nowadays.

• Like 1

It may just be my (allegedly) cynical side, but isn't this all really about not enuff copy to entertain/inform the reader, and not really Typography or style ? Hell, they have so many contributors to build the bloody things in all the mags, and tell you how and what they did in their own words, Its not like the 'editorial staff' don't have time to spell check and bring it all together into a coherent package is it ?

I say bring back he style of the original SAM. Loads of writing, fewer pictures. Much more informative. Can you tell I haven't bought a mag in oooh, at least five years ? Hell, I don't even bother to go to smiths each month to graze them anymore. I think it's much better to build models instead of reading about others building them. And certainly not for what they charge for a mag nowadays.

I don't know where to begin with that! Have you see how many magazines are out there all clawing for material? The idea that we are inundated with authors who can do what we want, when we want and the the standards we need, is simply preposterous. And as for editors, maybe if all they did was bring together material and not build models (as some do), that might be the case, but as most of us build models every month - some for more than one title - time is rather tight. But then you'd know that if you actually looked at the magazines instead of simply commenting on them on here!

Honestly.

Spence

Edited by Spence
  • Like 5

Should we also add: "be careful with cut&paste"? I see an increasing number of pictures and profiles being miscaptioned this way.

And, some photos are getting smaller as well.

Captions like: "An interesting line-up of XY Sqdn. FGA Mk.12's being readied for a sortie. Note the odd marking on the third machine" are a bit upsetting when the picture size is 2x2 inches.

Claudio

• Like 1

I don't know where to begin with that! Have you see how many magazines are out there all clawing for material? The idea that we are inundated with authors who can do what we want, when we want and the the standards we need, is simply preposterous. And as for editors, maybe if all they did was bring together material and not build models (as some do), that might be the case, but as most of us build models every month - some for more than one title - time is rather tight. But then you'd know that if you actually looked at the magazines instead of simply commenting on them on here!

Honestly.

Spence

Well, all I can say is that dynamiting fish just isn't as fun as it used to be anymore... I shall hot-foot to Smiths forthwith !

And yes, I do know how many Magazines there are out there. I used to buy each and every one religiously, and am now currently trawling through my various back issues for pertinent articles for my current builds after ignoring them for quite a long time. The death Knell of Magazines for me was the 6 (?) editions charting the Airfix Vickers Valiant by Airfix Model World. Just not, not fun. And I am one who IS spending my time building rather than reading. (apart from now) And my builds, warts and all, CAN be found...

You may also like to know that I know, and have done for some time, most of the 'Leading Lights' of the UK contributors, having shared table space at shows with most of them, for many years. And what wonderful builds they build. Even yours too Spence. I even compared an image from a Mosquito build of yours to compare against a problem I had with my own actual 1/48th Airfix build last year, and very helpful it was too. I've always been kept busy building for various club and Telford themes.

What seems to be at issue I guess, (pun not intended) is the amount of space some mags have around images. There doesnt seem much COPY, and too many ads. Which is what most folk here are complaining about as above. But as I said, I'm not terribly bothered. I don't buy any of them anymore.

As an Epilogue, I'm looking as I type at the edition of Military In Scale from Sept. 2006 of yours, and it IS rather busy. As well as SAMs April 2009 edition. Very busy indeed with TSR2, BAC Lightning features, and a Sea Vixen foldout. That's the kind of 'Modern' Magazine layout I like.

You got two hopes.....

:lol:

Like I didn't already know ? Bless all of you sensitive Publishing souls out there... At least I've brightened up a dull Thursday for you all. And maybe this thread's provided a little Editorial fodder too. Too bad I shan't be reading it. :gobsmacked:

Edited by Fea
  • Like 1

I say bring back he style of the original SAM. .

..it's almost there again under GH's stewardship...I've purchased the last two issues first in a long time, check it out...

..it's almost there again under GH's stewardship...I've purchased the last two issues first in a long time, check it out...

Ayup Falke. Long time no etc etc. I'll have a gurn tomorrow in Smiths maybe. GH ? I thought it was JL who is the Editor ?

Second that. Though this month around I bought Airfix mag - Kate and Whitley and others...really interesting. Sorry if this is a diversion into content rather than appearance.

Ayup Graham.

Content was what I thought it was all about.