Welsh Models 1/72 Vickers Vanguard?

andrewribs

Hi

Being very jealous of the recent 1/72 Vanguard build on BM and not having the skills to give the Gene Hooker kit a go I thought I'd ask Welsh Models if they had any plans for a future 1/72 release and got the following reply -

Many thanks for your enquiry. I have been pondering producing a 1/72 scale Vickers Vanguard and is not out of the question. Its a subject close to my heart and have had the pleasure many years ago to fly in one. It would take approx. two to three months to complete a set of patterns and a further two months to get to the stage of releasing. So we would be looking at release date of early to mid 2016. Before I commit I would need a minimum order of 15 to break even, if I felt this could be achieved - I would give a serious look at the possibility. off my head the ball price would around the £120-00 - £130-00 - I would include a vacform fuselage and the remainder in
pressure moulded high quality resin.

So, is anyone else interested?

Andrew

• Like 2

It would certainly be nice, but since the type was never operated in either Australia or New Zealand the price puts it into the "when I win the Lottery" category for me. I can see it being of much greater interest to the Brits and the Canucks.

I would of been very interested in this, I have also heard that Aircraft in Miniture were thinking of doing a Vanguard in 1/72, as Neil did ask me for some information I have from the Brooklands Vanguard, the only thing that would personally put me off the Welsh kit is the resin wings, Denzil would be better having vacform fuselage with the vertical tail attached and vacform wings, as I have built a few of his kits in the past and its always been a problem glueing resin to vacform especially large parts, it just doesn't work, in the end it cracks at the joint, having both vacform fuselage and wings allows the two to bond better as the glue melts them together and you get a stronger bond, all Denzil would need in resin is the front of the engines, props, wheels and cockpit and the air scoops. The other thing is the big oval windows, if you want to do the Merchantman than this is no problem, but in 1/72 you need clear windows, I used clear polyurethane, but I think you could use clear epoxy.

If anyone wants any advice I am more than willing to help, I was even thinking of selling my resin parts that I made for my model

the only thing that would personally put me off the Welsh kit is the resin wings, Denzil would be better having vacform fuselage with the vertical tail attached and vacform wings, as I have built a few of his kits in the past and its always been a problem glueing resin to vacform especially large parts, it just doesn't work, in the end it cracks at the joint,

Agree 100% Kev.

• Like 1

Hi

Good news, I've had a response from Welsh Models -

looks like there might be enough interested to take things further with the Vanguard project .

I'II keep everyone posted on our website with the development.

Andrew

• 2 years later...

Hi I am pleased to announce that Densil from welsh models is releasing a1/72 Nd Scale Vickers Vanguard late spring 2018 !! 

Please message him to show interest!! Tell him Ron from Winnipeg Canada sent you !! 

• Like 3

On 27/04/2015 at 9:22 PM, kev67 said:

.....the only thing that would personally put me off the Welsh kit is the resin wings, Denzil would be better having vacform fuselage with the vertical tail attached and vacform wings, as I have built a few of his kits in the past and its always been a problem glueing resin to vacform especially large parts, it just doesn't work, in the end it cracks at the joint...

This used to be a problem back in the ealy days of Vac conversion kits, eg a Viking fuselage with Wellington wings which cracked badly even with both being polystyrene. The answer was inserting a soilid mainspar between the two wings running  (I used balsawood!) - I'd imagine that would work in the hypothetical Vanguard, though drilling into the resin wings might be fraught. Saying that though, it sounds like the vacform wing solution would be ideal anyway.

I'd be really interested in this new kit - first aircraft I became obsessed with as they flew over my old house at what seemed like 20 min intervals on approach to Renfrew Airport on internal flights.
Need to get a Mach2 Viscount first though (masochistic modeller, me!)

The fuselage to wing joint does not appear to be an issue if one looks at the prototype parts on the Welsh Models site.

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/vanguard.html

Each resin wing includes half of the under fuselage wingbox and these butt together. The fuselage is then cradled between the two wings and should form a very strong lap joint, to use a woodworking term.

I might just move up from 1/144 for this one.

Vince

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vincent said:

The fuselage to wing joint does not appear to be an issue if one looks at the prototype parts on the Welsh Models site.

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/vanguard.html

Each resin wing includes half of the under fuselage wingbox and these butt together. The fuselage is then cradled between the two wings and should form a very strong lap joint, to use a woodworking term.

I might just move up from 1/144 for this one.

Vince

Not sure, I think issues may appear later on, as you can't properly bond resin to vac form, the only way of stopping movement over time is maybe screwing the wings onto the vac form body but you would have to do the two halves and then join the 2 bodies together, my experience with 1/72 Welsh models is that cracks appear when these to different mediums meet after time, I firmly believe that to get a strong join is to have vac form wings and vac form fuselage, the rest such as engines and smaller components are fine as resin casting

This is one of the models I did yeas ago

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/MT72-05.html

On 02/03/2018 at 11:13, kev67 said:

Not sure, I think issues may appear later on, as you can't properly bond resin to vac form, the only way of stopping movement over time is maybe screwing the wings onto the vac form body but you would have to do the two halves and then join the 2 bodies together, my experience with 1/72 Welsh models is that cracks appear when these to different mediums meet after time, I firmly believe that to get a strong join is to have vac form wings and vac form fuselage, the rest such as engines and smaller components are fine as resin casting

This is one of the models I did yeas ago

http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/MT72-05.html

I have built a number of the Welsh 1/72 kits (inc Comet and Electra) and the resin wing and vac fuselage is a neat design solution, as it is the resin wing that provides the structural integrity and fuselage to all intents and purposes just sits on the top. If one gets a good strong accurate bond between the two wing halfs, that is the key to  a good model.

Roll on the Vanguard.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Kev,

If your worried about the integrity of the joint, if I may?

Get some Albion Alloys rod and tube, rod in one wing, tube in the other,

if Thomo is correct and the two inner wing faces butt join, with the fuselage

'sitting' on the top, the strength of a tube/rod reinforcement will negate

most vertical and horizontal shift.

Paul