Blackburn Skua, Frog 1/72

Hi,

Next very old model - Blackburn Skua, old Frog kit. Those, who made once model out of this kit might noticed that I have added some details mainly in engine and reshaped a bit canopy... It is from about 1993.

Markings of 800 Sq. FAA, HMS Ark Royal, Hatston 1939-40. Since I made it many years ago and it is now far below modern standars I am very interesting mostly in comments about the scheme - are the colours OK or should it be TSS etc...

Best regarards

Jerzy-Wojtek

skua DSC03927skua DSC03926skua DSC03925skua DSC03924

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 14

Hi Jerzy!!!!

This one in a NOVO bagged incarnation were from the very first kits that were sold here even in the Drugstores.....I have seen ot for no more that Q0.75...YES, seventy five cents a kit in a bag, company of the old P40 E, Miles Magister and P47 Razorback....I remember I have Q1.00 a week when i go to School, and at that time the Exchange rate was, believ me Q1.00=US $ 1.00...so with some saving efforts to not buying other things, a nicely kit was bought each weekend.....also the Testors Enamel at Q0.15, most colours sold were the basics= Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Silver, White, Black Matt or Gloss........if you pressed a little many things could be bought with a relative small quantity of money......

This one is a great kit, and just one of the ones to came to me from the frind who wanted badly the LS Dinah variant i had, and looking your nice work I am begining to think that following your nicely and surely steps I will have a very first class kit built into the highest standards, AND answering your question, I am not a RN Expert but for sure I agree here with Darby!!!!!

Many people has signaled some faults to this wonderful kit, as have some issues about the wing and other parts, but as one of my closest friends and modelers said once another person criticized very hard a very very old model he had built, he said "yes I know, all the faults you said, BUT if I had corrected it, the model won't be an autentic Aurora anymore"...and this applies for your nicely done masterpiece. One thing Iliked a lot of many models you have shared here is the discreet weathering and metal pain chipping you do, nice touch My Friend!!!

I will download all the pics to take note about the reshapings and other things you did and hope to build mine as nice looking as yours, as is one not too complicated kit, hope to deal adequately when the time comes to have this one on the bench....and BTW I have received another one of these kits in a buy, so will look for two different versions for them.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Thank you Darby, Luis Alfonso and Houston for yours comments - especially Luis for his long and emotional story....

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Thank you Kira666 for your comment. Indeed - I wrote "Frog" since it is a original tooling - but actually it was Novo-export one, in Frog-like box.

Jerzy, that is surely one of the best Frog Skuas I've ever seen, it actually looks like a Skua. :)

re the camo, I think that an 800 sqn NAS Skua in the era you have depicted would be TSS topside colours with a rather higher demarcation that yours has. My MMP Blackburn Skua & Roc book shows them as being a little about the middle line of the fuselage side, something like the 1st aircraft on this page. There's nothing in there that indicates a Dark Green/ Dark Earth finish at that time.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you Steve for your comment. I remember that I had some photos and I was correcting some details - to improve the similarity of shapes, but I do not remeber what it was besides the canopy (windscreen and rear). Regarding colours - thanks for suggestions. However - perhaps still there is some hope - before I will repaint it :)

Cheers

J-W

It's always good to see old models. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1