Bristol 142 Britain First

CarLos

I would like to make a model of Britain First, and I even blanked the wing locations on the old Airfix Blenheim kit but life is too short and I decided to proceed with the new kit instead.

From my research, the fuselage cross section is the same on the 142 and the Blenheim, right? Also the wings are the same, even with the same dihedral? Same tailplane (different location, and adjustable unlike the Blenheim one) and fin (adjustable on the 142?), shorter undercarriage (of course...), smaller tires? (less carried weight).

Thanks for any input.

Carlos

0090-01-1-1.jpg

Not sure if you've seen this - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64766-bristol-142-britain-first/

The RugRat Resins kit was produced by Aircraft In Miniature - http://www.aim72.co.uk Maybe they've got one left lying around.......

Is this useful?

Bristol142.jpg

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for remembering that old thread. I am aware of the AIM resin, but converting a kit is much more fun. However I became worried by John Adams post, saying that the fuselage was slimmer than the bomber one. How slimmer I would like to know before ruining a good kit in vain.

Cheers,

Carlos

G'day CarLos,

Don't know whether you've seen this: http://www.clubhyper.com/forums/groupbuildframe_2.htm. You'll have to work down - the relevant post was at the bottom of page 8 when I posted this. Graham Carter, the builder, is about to jump on a plane and go to Europe for about six weeks, and may be hard to contact while he's away, but if you send him a message I'm sure he'll get back to you eventually.

Cheers

DC

• 1 month later...

Back from some time in lurking mode to show some progress in the conversion and to discuss a little more the subject.

I read all the info available to me, including Putnam books (Bristol and British Civil Aircraft), Ord Hume, and a few others, including the useful links posted above. Only John Adams mentions the slimmer cross section, however after observing the few photos available I'm sure he is correct. In the Blenheim the cross section is trapezium shaped, so I shaved a little less than 1 mm from each lower fuselage half of the kit to make the sides more parallel. You can see the result in the photo bellow. By the way, I changed my mind again an instead of the new Airfix kit I'm using the Frog one, as its engineering and thick plastic makes a much easier job - not forgetting the engine nacelles in the upper wings that are better in shape than in the new Airfix.

BF05.jpg

I am shaping the nose, made of laminated plastic card, and I intend to make the interior and close the fuselage soon. However, I don't know any photo of the interior, so if someone has any info please share it.

I am thinking that, despite having curtains in the windows, no passenger seats were fitted. Why? Because Flight would have taken pics of it most probably, yet all the emphasis is put in speed and clean lines and no mention is made of seat arrangement. So I'm thinking of a very naked interior, including fuselage structure visible.

What do you think about that? And in the case, would it be painted silver or interior green?

Carlos

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am thinking that, despite having curtains in the windows, no passenger seats were fitted. Why? Because Flight would have taken pics of it most probably, yet all the emphasis is put in speed and clean lines and no mention is made of seat arrangement. So I'm thinking of a very naked interior, including fuselage structure visible.

Carlos

I can't remember where I read it but I'm sure that despite being built for Lord Rothermere as 'the fastest civil aircraft in Europe' he never actually used it, so you may well be right about there not being any passenger seats. It seems to have been used to make a statement about the then current antiquated RAF aircraft - luckily someone got the hint......

Steve

• 2 years later...
On 6/2/2015 at 10:52 PM, John Aero said:

I have the drawings of the type 142 from the Harleyford Bristol Book and the fuselage is low wing and quite different in section.

John

Dear Sir,

would it be possible to have a peek in that drawing, as there is no chance to find that book?

On 6/20/2018 at 8:50 PM, CarLos said:

I have the drawings but only will be able to access them next week. Send me a message to remember, if you still need them.

Yes, I do. Many thanks. Maybe they are better than what I have. I have a crazy idea to make even the "143".