You can never have too many . . .

Hi chaps,

I thought I'd show some recent finishes completed for a Spitfire-related GB on another forum. All were hand-brushed with Xtracrylix paint, over a coat of Halford's primer and finished with Games Workshop "Purity Seal" satin varnish.

Firstly, the 1/72nd Hasegawa Mk VIII, finished as a machine from 457 Sqn RAAF in 1945. Decals from Almark, I think:

DSCF8280_zps4z4e6zqm.jpg

DSCF8278_zps3ukcabau.jpg

Then we move onto the Fujimi Spit XIVe low back in the markings of 41 Sqn RAF, again in 1945. Decals from Freightdog:

DSCF8272_zpsqd2fp88a.jpg

DSCF8271_zpskjovpjf4.jpg

Finally, we have the Sword Spit IXe, finished as a "fighter bomber" from 66Sqn in late 1944. The underwing bombs are from the kit, the centre line bomb and bomb carrier is from an Airfix Hampden, with the bomb rack assembly being scratchbuilt. Decals were partly from the kit, but codes / serials were sourced from Modeldecal and Ventura sheets respectively:

DSCF8265_zps2puljlyl.jpg

DSCF8266_zpsqipuekr7.jpg

DSCF8269_zpsogmwpu8t.jpg

And the inevitable group shot:

DSCF8282_zpsnw8bfk17.jpg

Comments welcome.

regards,

Martin

• Like 33

Brush you say! I can't get that finish with a airbrush most of the time. You can just image the sound those three would make.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Nice builds, great finish.

Edited by omi

Just the three then? I enjoyed viewing these, thank you. ( and as someone who will never own an airbrush, it is nice to know I can aspire to good looking models with a brush - but I'll never get to your level. )

Cheers,

Mike

Hand-brushed? Did you say hand-brushed???

Unbelievable!!! My hat's off to you sir!!!

Thanks for the comment. Dead chuffed with that frankly, but honestly, if you think that's good, I'd suggest you look at some of Tony O'Toole's finishes. There truly is a master of brush painting (and throughput!). I just try to emulate him.

Remember: well-thinned paint, good quality flat brushes and patience can achieve many things . . . .

regards,

Martin

Martin,

A lovely gaggle of Spitfires. I've actually got the Sword it on the go now, so it's nice to see one finished and yours looks great. Your XIV has also turned out beautifully. Excelllent brush-work on all three.

Justin

Hi Martin,

You're mentioning a fellow scale modeler Tony O'Toole. Where can I find/see his work/technique?

Hi,

Tony is a prolific poster / model builder on this very forum. His handle is tonyot. Just search for some of his threads . . .

regards,

Martin

Great to see a Fujimi XIVe, looks superb :D

Ben

Thanks, Ben.

I know you like the ol' Fujimi Spit, so I wondered if you'd post a response. Chuffed you like it!

regards,

Martin

• 5 weeks later...