Eduard to release new SE5a yeeehhaaaahhhh!

Beardie

I just received a copy of scale aircraft modeller from a friend t'other day and in it it says that Eduard are going to finally release a kit of the SE5a and from what the article says it is likely to be the definitive kit of the RAF SE5a in 1/48 scale.

Can't wait to see this beastie!

• Like 1

Don't know when they are going to release it but I am sure looking forward it. No mention in the upcoming section of their info pdf for April. All that seems to be available are some screen shots of the cad models bit it certainly looks like it will have some really nice internal and external detailing. :thumbsup: According to the article in SAM eduard state that the level of detail will border on the extreme. This should be something really special!

Oh dear, that is a beast I did not like. Built one and would never build another but then again I don't like Roden full stop.I don't believe they can hold a candle to the Eduard product.

• Like 1

Main things to watch on the Roden kit are soft struts and explosive decals. As long as you don't use strongly tensioned nylon rigging the struts should be OK and use hot water for the decals and plenty of micro-sol and a gentle touch when applying them the decals might go down OK. Detail is nice but the plastic can be very soft and edges of the parts can be a bit thin and rough needing care and filling during assembly.

Until the Eduard Beauty appears the Roden is the best game in town for accuracy and ease of build. I just don't get on with Roden kits because I have found the decals to be uniformly rubbish and, with after market decals coming in at around £10 I think the kits should either be recalled and given new decals or greatly reduced in price.

• Like 2

I agree. You're right in all these points. However I cannot watch at Roden without a sort of nostalgia because for the WWI enthusiast before Roden there was "the NOTHING". When I started my modeller life, many years ago, there were only some Airfix and Revell kits. Durng next years nobody dared to launch in the market WWI kits because the period was considered a poor source of business. If you wanted something the only way were the cottages industries and the vacuum formed kits. So in my life the Airfix is the Old Queen and Roden is the Princess.

After Roden many manufacturers took the courage to mould WWI subjects. Roden opened the way so I can forgive her the probblems you correctly highlighted. I think, and I know I'm daring a lot, that also a WingNut Wings has been possible because Roden discovered the mine vein of the Great World War.

When we speak of Eduard, mmh is another level not only for the WWI range. I think they are the most creative company nowadays existing. They have invented a lot of ideas to propose their range, the profipack, the week end editions, the reboxing of other companies products with Eduard detail sets, the overtrees.... Every modeller can find his own product. This is the force of the company.

And now... we keep waiting for the definitive SE5a

Ezio

• Like 4

I don't know if they are or not but I sure hope so, I can't see them missing the chance to create both variants.

I agree totally Wombat, before Roden the only game in town for WWI subjects was Revell and Airfix 1/72 kits so they do deserve considerable credit for re-invigorating the genre however I missed them having stopped modelling before they appeared and come back to modelling after Eduard had become established and produced a wealth of superb kits of models I could only have dreamed of when I was young and having a number of Eduard kits under my belt before trying a Roden kit I found them to have the aforementioned disappointing failings. What does baffle me is why they haven't sorted their decal and plastic problems out.

I don't know if they are or not but I sure hope so, I can't see them missing the chance to create both variants.

I agree totally Wombat, before Roden the only game in town for WWI subjects was Revell and Airfix 1/72 kits so they do deserve considerable credit for re-invigorating the genre however I missed them having stopped modelling before they appeared and come back to modelling after Eduard had become established and produced a wealth of superb kits of models I could only have dreamed of when I was young and having a number of Eduard kits under my belt before trying a Roden kit I found them to have the aforementioned disappointing failings. What does baffle me is why they haven't sorted their decal and plastic problems out.

Roden, as with their predecessor Toko, IIRC were constrained to source their decals from a producer who normally made stuff for white goods labels and the like, where flexibility and user friendliness wasn't an issue. What their current excuse is I don't know. But to be fair, current Roden decals are far better than the original bunch, although still not good enough. The odd thing is I've had a good set now and then, from the time their 1/72nd Camel series came out.

As regards other manufacturers, before Roden the front runners in 1/48th were Blue Max in plastic, and Copper State Models in resin. Limited run, but excellent products, covering some esoteric stuff as well as the core subjects. Progressing from vacs and these manufacturers, while I appreciate some of the advances offered by Eduard, I don't find Roden unduly difficult, and lament the fact that they have mostly withdrawn from the WWI field. After all, Eduard have largely moved on to more lucrative subjects than WWI, and I don't have the space to move up to 1/32nd scale. And I don't see them producing a series of Airco 2 seaters like Roden have.

Paul.

Promising news, at last some one is recognising the 100th anniversary with some new releases, apart from WNW.

S'pose hoping for some new 1/72 stuff is pushing it a bit.....Eduard's DV and J1 were very good.

• Like 1

Oh now I can understand, is the same thing that going directly from the stone age to the iron age.

I'm aware that I'm going out of the topic but my passion still remains the vacuum formed kit and so I'd like to recommend this site where you can find the old stuff from Classic Planes, pure nostalgia nd nothin else, but also the Ludemann kits, resin made.

Here's the link. I bought only once in the past but I'll do it again

Ezio

Hmm I don't think that, initially at least, that it will be a Royal boxing though that would certainly be nice (Piece of Mannock's plane or McCuddens' would be rather splendid or even a 1/16 SE5 cockpit or Engine model now that would be pretty awesome!

Mmmh looking at the previous Royal Class ones it could be probable that a WWI subject appear but I'm afraid it will be an Albatros D. V or a Sopwith Camel. Any way it could be an idea to propose it to the Eduard Gentlemen.

Last year I sent a list of wished kits to Airfix. It was a long list. They were very kind and answered me promptly unfortunately saying that my wishes were not included in their plans. One of them was the Defiant ..... so when it appeared I thought that maybe other modellers have written to them or .... I'm a lucky guy

Ezio

A Royal class edition of the Camel wouldn't be a bad thing though :thumbsup: My stash is a bit full of Eduard Albatros's and Nieuport's so they would be a bit disappointing. I am hoping they put out new tools of the Hannover and Pup at some time and an FE.2b, Rumpler, Farman, Vickers Gunbus, Sopwith strutter would all be great to see.

Just checked the May edition of Eduard's Info mag and sadly there is no mention of the SE5a in the On Approach section for June so looks like it will be a couple of months at least before it appears :crying: