1/48 - Ilyushin Il-28T "Beagle" by Bobcat Hobby Model Kits - released - new Eduard detailing sets

Homebee

On 5/2/2019 at 12:00 AM, Harold55 said:

These look to be excellent sheets of some great schemes. Question is that I don't think parts for the IL-28U version was included in this first boxing from Bobcat or am I wrong on that.  If not then do they know about plans to release a 2nd version?

If you look at a. o. the different tail turret pieces - some of them without tail gun slots :

DuMOJk2U4AIsQum.jpg&key=a29f614d820bd507

as well as at the separate part for the underbelly radar (not installed in most Us),  there is a possibility that a Mascot would be released later ....and, anyway, the kit opens many possibilities for the aftermarket conversions...

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Harold55 said:

These look to be excellent sheets of some great schemes. Question is that I don't think parts for the IL-28U version was included in this first boxing from Bobcat or am I wrong on that.  If not then do they know about plans to release a 2nd version?

Up until now there's no sign (3D renders) nor announcement from Bobcat Hobby Model kits concerning a future Il-2U "Mascot" kit.

Fingers crossed.

V.P.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 3:45 AM, Biggles81 said:

Now crying out for some AURI or ALRI decal options. Seems to be one of the few export operators not covered by the kit or Hi Decal.

spacer.png

Sure, we plan more sheets for the Beagle, the AURI/ALRI being one of our priorities, but we would be very grateful for details about the correct markings applied to the navy's Il-28s. Albanian, Afghan, Algerian, Iraqi and Yemeni Beagles could be also included on this sheet. 

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

On 5/1/2019 at 11:00 PM, Harold55 said:

I was one who suggested upscaling the sheet regardless. The markings will be useful regardless and there could be a 'U' conversion being worked on somewhere. 

I'm very happy to see Nigeria getting covered so I can represent that rather nasty Conflict.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all,

someone mentioned in the Rumormonger about the tip tanks. It is true that Il-28R (R for rezhveshtija =reconnaissance) had them. But you have to check the engine nacelles as well: they are different in shape in R than in "pure" bomber version. The bomber had smaller main wheels and therefore slimmer nacelles. Look at the photo in post #78 and pay close attention to the area right aft of main gear well doors. There is a horizontal shadow visible indicating the bulged nacelle for larger main wheels. Unfortunately I couldn't convince myself looking at the photos of the sprues and prototype model. Is it the bomber version or the reconnaissance one? Hopefully the target towing equipment and/or cameras are included in the kit. For all those who wish to build their model in Finnish colours a 1/48 bicycle would be a nice addition. Once a bicycle was loaded in the bomb bay and the plane departed it's home base Utti in SE Finland for an air to air shooting camp at Oulu. The bicycle never made it. Once the bomb bay doors were opened after landing the bicycle was gone... There was a safety feature built into the system: if something fell against the bomb bay doors they opened and when the pressure was released the doors closed.

The aftermarket decals provide only one Finnish Air Force version (NH-1) which was a pure bomber without tip tanks.

One Finnish example carried for a while name "ILMAVOIMIEN CADILLAC" (Air Force Cadillac) on the nose. It would be lovely to see this available on aftermarket decals.

In the meanwhile I'll dig out the type rating course materials. Il-28 had only one complete manual for the export version: a hard bound A5 size book which was written in flawless Oxford English. But we didn't have many of those so the material I have is a folder full of schematics from the various original Soviet manuals. As the aircraft is still classified as secret(!) here in Finland I can only tell that we had more three but less than five Il-28s.

Antti

• Like 5

On 3/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, Diego said:

.... however, after checking several references on the Beagle I discovered a sad fact that, as 45-36 MAN and RAT-52 weapons installed on external pylons drastically reduced the aircraft speed and maneuverability, making flying tricky, only a single test Il-28T flew with these external racks installed. The operational Il-28Ts had their torpedo-warload installed internally in their (longer) bomb bay. This explains why Soviet and Indonesian IL-28Ts  were not seen with external weapon racks installed...

Anyway, this doesn't change the fact, that this kit will finally enable us to build an IL-28  "vanilla" bomber or an Il-28R recce variant with wingtip tanks, or an Il-28RT ELINT bird with two identical belly radomes...and of course a Il-28T with "internal" armament. You will only need to engrave a longer bomb bay  in case you choose to represent it with closed doors - in case of an open bomb/torpedo bay, however, a bit more work would be of course required to represent the longer bay... 

There are also some intriguing (faired over) parts for the tail gunner position... perhaps the civil "Aeroflot" IL-20 variant used to transport "Pravda" newspaper matrices between Moscow and Vladivostok (before the times of digital data transmission) ? Maybe an Il-28U Mascot trainer could also be in the works?

Greetings

Diego

Indonesia.... hmmm... somebody mentioned Indonesian Beagle? :)

1 hour ago, Alex Sidharta said:

Indonesia.... hmmm... somebody mentioned Indonesian Beagle? :)

Hello Alex,

It was me😊

...the only thing I would still need to do them are data about the precise markings of the ALRI Beagles ( an Il-28T would be the ideal candidate) 

Greetings

Diego

2 hours ago, Diego said:

Hello Alex,

It was me😊

...the only thing I would still need to do them are data about the precise markings of the ALRI Beagles ( an Il-28T would be the ideal candidate) 

Greetings

Diego

Hi Diego, sorry for the slow response, I have been travelling, but if anyone can come up with what you need to do AURI and ALRI Beagles on your decals it will be Alex.

Regards,

Ken

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Antti_K said:

One Finnish example carried for a while name "ILMAVOIMIEN CADILLAC" (Air Force Cadillac) on the nose. It would be lovely to see this available on aftermarket decals.

Hi Antti,

Great to know these very interesting details concerning the Finnish Beagles :worthy:

Unfortunately, we hadn't any pics of the "Ilmavoimien Cadillac" markings, what is a pity.

We have done markings for the Il-28 "Nikita-Hruschew-One", as indeed, the Rs have not only tip tanks but also slightly different nacelles, as you wisely commented. 

I am pretty sure that the Bobcat kit is in reality the "vanilla" Beagle bomber, even if described as Il-28T Torpedo carrier.

The "T" - had longer bomb bays to accommodate the torpedoes and rocket-torpedoes, and tip tanks.

The kit has a standard bomb bay, but this will not be a problem unless you will want to display it with open doors.

The closed doors option will need some simple regraving on the underfuselage to have a correct result.

By adding the included tip tanks, you will also be able to make an "R" from the kit, but, unfortunately, with standard nacelles...and a standard bomb bay. 

Personally, I will be very surprised if the target towing equipment would be included on the kit, but now there will surely be room for aftermarket companies to do it as resin add-on (anyway, we have included some scale drawings on the instruction sheet of HD48035) 

Now, let's hope the new Il-28 kit - the very first injected Beagle in this scale -  will prove very popular, as his price is more than acceptable for a model of this size :)   

Greetings

Diego

Hi-Decal

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Diego said:

Now, let's hope the new Il-28 kit - the very first injected Beagle in this scale -  will prove very popular, as his price is more than acceptable for a model of this size :)   

I hope so too...but I'm holding off from buying this version in the hope they will release the regular bomber.

Jon

57 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

I hope so too...but I'm holding off from buying this version in the hope they will release the regular bomber.

Jon

I guess you will have most the parts to do the regular bomber already in this box ( there is simply no other alternative, as the torpedoes are add-ons. OK - maybe the bomb load could be added later, if any) - and you also will get the tip tanks used on the recce variants (R/RTR) too...that will not be included in the bomber boxing :)

Edited by Diego
  • Like 1

Looks simply amazing :)

Dzieki wielkie / Many thanks for sharing !!!

It seems, that, from the box, you will be able to build the Il-28T with external torpedoes, as there is nothing to equip the bomb bay.  Strange, as the Ts had their armament installed internally in their bomb bay...

On the other side, as the Ts had a longer bomb bay needed to accommodate the torpedoes, it would be necessary for Bobcat to make a different fuselage. With a closed bomb bay, nobody will notice this small difference.

On the same sprue, you get the tip tanks used on the R/RTR recce variants too, that will be surely missing in a "bomber" boxing.

You also get two underbelly radomes, one standard and one, bigger, for the maritime version. This will allow you  to build a "vanillia" IL-28 bomber or an Il-28 R/RTR recce variant from this box too.

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, there are no bombs or recce equipment for the bomb bay. But I suppose that an additional sprue with the bomb load would be added in a future boxing...

greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

Hello Jurek,

thank you for sharing these photos🙂 Did you buy your kit from Europe or...? I will place my order in no time.

Looking at the pictures it seems that the T -model had very different kind of navigator compartment when compared with the the Finnish examples. It's nice to see that the kit comes with full length jet pipes. One of our senior engineers told "interesting" stories about the pipes as they had to be removed from the aircraft every XXX flying hours (very often) and it was an unpleasant job nobody wanted to do. Il-28s had to be maintained every 25 flying hours. Another detail is the bulkhead between cockpit and navigator compartment as it seems to have quite large open areas. In Finnish planes this bulkhead is solid; there was a small "drawer box" to pass messages between navigator and pilot (normally used only for passing cigarettes). I was looking at the electrical panel and noted that there is no screw driver which the navigator used after engine start-up to set the voltage! A little detail I will add to my model. Il-28 was a "Very Soviet" aircraft as it couldn't be flown solo.

Diego, I didn't realize you are the man behind those decals... They look superb and I was very pleased to see that the Finnish roundels are spot on! Nice job! I think I have a photo showing the name "ILMAVOIMIEN CADILLAC"; let me check my archives. The text was in capital letters and some letters were black some blue (the same blue as in Finnish roundels). Originally the registration code NH came from words "Neuvostoliittolainen Hinauskone" (Soviet target tug) but pretty soon everyone was calling her Nikita Hrutchsev, Nikita or simply Nikke.

Officially Il-28s were purchased as target tugs and the Soviets had absolutely nothing against the deal. They had themselves demanded a restriction in Paris Peace Treaty that forbade "aircraft with interior bomb bays" from the Finnish Air Force. When Finland was much more interested in buying the Canberra the Soviet embassy reacted immediately. It was called the Cold War for a reason. Il-28s were used for maritime reconnaissance duties over the Baltic Sea and during the summer of 1968 several crews had hair rising moments as the Soviet MiGs got very aggressive over international waters. Then of course these aircraft were used for high altitude photography. For tactical low level work British Vinten Type 360 cameras (F95 in RAF) were installed and/operated hand held by the navigator.

Antti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 1:29 PM, Diego said:

Hello Alex,

It was me😊

Greetings

Diego

Can we resume our conversation by email? Do you still have mine?

On 5/9/2019 at 8:51 AM, Diego said:

It seems, that, from the box, you will be able to build the Il-28T with external torpedoes, as there is nothing to equip the bomb bay.  Strange, as the Ts had their armament installed internally in their bomb bay...

On the other side, as the Ts had a longer bomb bay needed to accommodate the torpedoes, it would be necessary for Bobcat to make a different fuselage. With a closed bomb bay, nobody will notice this small difference.

On the same sprue, you get the tip tanks used on the R/RTR recce variants too, that will be surely missing in a "bomber" boxing.

You also get two underbelly radomes, one standard and one, bigger, for the maritime version. This will allow you  to build a "vanillia" IL-28 bomber or an Il-28 R/RTR recce variant from this box too.

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, there are no bombs or recce equipment for the bomb bay. But I suppose that an additional sprue with the bomb load would be added in a future boxing...

greetings

Diego

If I am able to make a photo-recce version from the parts in the kit (except for the cameras & camera windows), I may just order one.

At my "Glacial" rate of building, by the time I get around to it, there just may be aftermarket cameras available. :pray:

Larry

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

If I am able to make a photo-recce version from the parts in the kit (except for the cameras & camera windows), I may just order one.

At my "Glacial" rate of building, by the time I get around to it, there just may be aftermarket cameras available. :pray:

Larry

Hi Larry,

Indeed, the tip tanks may not be included in the "bomber" release, so this would be the boxing to use.

Of course, there is a possibility that the "R" will be released separately, with tip tanks and camera bay, somewhere in a distant future...

Also, there is the "detail" of the more bulged weels and respective, lightly different nacelles, of the R , but I suppose that the nacelles and the undercarriage will be exactly the same in all releases...

Greetings

Diego

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Xuntong and Bobcat are the same company. What, I wonder, is their weird fascination with rare torpedo launchers? They did the same thing with the Tu-2, releasing the Tu-2T before the far more numerous and famous regular bomber version.

• Like 1

Hi-Decal Line - ref. 48035 - Il-28 Beagle decal first look

Source: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/hd/decal_hd_48035.shtml

Il-28, Bort 40, 7th Bomber Bde, Polish AF, 1963

Il-28, 77 Independent Tactical Bomber Squadron, Egyptian AF, 1973

Il-28, Bort 01, Transport Squadron/Karelian Wing, Finnish Air Force, 1968

Il-28, Bort 208, Target Towing Wing 33, EGAF, 1981

spacer.png

spacer.png

V.P.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I would like to make a Il-20 in Aeroflot markings, I just found this photo searching the web, does anyone have any more info on the markings and/or equipment? Diego referred to the tail guns being faired over.

Thanks in advance.

4f10b7531beab86c7c511a519f7fc4d4.png

• Like 3