1/48 - Ilyushin Il-28T "Beagle" by Bobcat Hobby Model Kits - released - new Eduard detailing sets

Homebee

On 1/12/2019 at 3:24 AM, Jurek Greinert said:

It's cool that it will rise, but the surface looks weak

The panel lines look over done. Other than  that,  I'm glad they took on this subject.  And I'm sure Hobbyboss  will do one. Like they did with the Yak-28.  We have to wait till its release to see how it compares to the Bobcat one. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Diego said:

Well, I guess it will be slowly time to upscale our Beagle sheet(s) to 1/48th scale...

Greetings

Diego

www.hi-decal.eu

6f244689fc0e78bd66ca9abf2213d178363fa3de

_wsb_510x376_Il-28+Pethe.jpg

Yes please for the Finnish Example!

Edited by neilh
did not wish to copy photos in quote
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, exdraken said:

Not only upscalem also probably improve on it!

Early Egyptian ones with noseart come to my mind...

HD48035 and HD48036 are scheduled for late March.

If the subject will prove popular - what I assume - more sheets will follow, with a.o. early Egyptian Beagles.😎

Greetings

Diego

• Like 3

On 2/13/2019 at 9:40 AM, exdraken said:

Not only upscale, also probably improve on it!

Early Egyptian ones with noseart come to my mind...

Hello exdraken,

I've never seen Egyptian IL-28's with nose art. Can you point me to a source? Would love to see what they look like.

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

Hello exdraken,

I've never seen Egyptian IL-28's with nose art. Can you point me to a source? Would love to see what they look like.

In Arab MiGs Vol.2 there are some photos. Not many though!

An artwork can be found here:

http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index-ArabMiGsVol2.html#/16

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Thanks! I will be getting that book soon.

I highly recommend you the whole series.... :)

Facinating insight into a very complex topic!

For sure not complete either but great Reports ftom the "other" side!

Edited by exdraken

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 11:25 AM, Homebee said:

Il-28T box art updated with the torpedoes.

Source: https://twitter.com/bobcat_model/status/1101623015534551040

V.P.

Wonderful artwork! The red stars without white outline are also spot on for Soviet 1960s era Beagles:wub:

There is only a small "logical" critique point, as the "45-36 MAN" torpedoes could be launched only few meters above the water surface (just like on earlier torpedo carrying aircraft) and not from above the clouds like on the drawing - however,  this problem was solved with the "RAT-52" rocket propelled torpedoes, which enabled a launch from much higher altitudes...

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

.... however, after checking several references on the Beagle I discovered a sad fact that, as 45-36 MAN and RAT-52 weapons installed on external pylons drastically reduced the aircraft speed and maneuverability, making flying tricky, only a single test Il-28T flew with these external racks installed. The operational Il-28Ts had their torpedo-warload installed internally in their (longer) bomb bay. This explains why Soviet and Indonesian IL-28Ts  were not seen with external weapon racks installed...

Anyway, this doesn't change the fact, that this kit will finally enable us to build an IL-28  "vanilla" bomber or an Il-28R recce variant with wingtip tanks, or an Il-28RT ELINT bird with two identical belly radomes...and of course a Il-28T with "internal" armament. You will only need to engrave a longer bomb bay  in case you choose to represent it with closed doors - in case of an open bomb/torpedo bay, however, a bit more work would be of course required to represent the longer bay... 

There are also some intriguing (faired over) parts for the tail gunner position... perhaps the civil "Aeroflot" IL-20 variant used to transport "Pravda" newspaper matrices between Moscow and Vladivostok (before the times of digital data transmission) ? Maybe an Il-28U Mascot trainer could also be in the works?

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Two decal sheets for the 1/48th scale Beagle have just been released by Hi-Decal:

HD48035 IL-28 Beagle:
hidecal2.jpg
hidecal1.jpg

HD48036 IL-28 RT/U Beagle/Mascot:
hidecal4.jpg
hidecal3.jpg

Edited by Diego
  • Like 4

These look to be excellent sheets of some great schemes. Question is that I don't think parts for the IL-28U version was included in this first boxing from Bobcat or am I wrong on that.  If not then do they know about plans to release a 2nd version?