1/48 - Ilyushin Il-28T "Beagle" by Bobcat Hobby Model Kits - released - new Eduard detailing sets

Homebee

9 hours ago, AmaruTG said:

Question: Can I build the Egyptian Beagle from the Bobcat current release?

TIA

Amaru in Lima

Of course.  Just use the standard underbelly radome (from the fuselage sprue) and leave out the torpedo carrier racks.

Un saludo

Diego 

• Like 1

Hi all,

Searching for "Il-20 Aeroflot" I found this on the IPMS USA review of the book "Ilyushin Il-28" (which I will certainly buy for reference), now what is missing is a decal producer making the markings, Diego are you listening? ;)

57ef81f18535895b09b6e6296d69362c.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diego said:

Of course.  Just use the standard underbelly radome (from the fuselage sprue) and leave out the torpedo carrier racks.

Un saludo

Diego 

Excellent!

Muchas gracias

Amaru in Lima

• Like 1

Hi all,

I received the "Ilyushin Il-28" book minutes ago and it's a beautiful publication, well printed photos and lot's of illustrations to inspire us modellers, a must buy for "Beagle" fans.

I read the "In Aeroflot service" chapter and learned that in addition to the Il-20 variant Aeroflot also operated Il-20 trainers (Il-28U) and Il-28ZA weather reconnaissance aircraft, in fact SSSR (CCCP) -36589 whose side profile I posted above was an Il-28ZA.

45 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi all,

I received the "Ilyushin Il-28" book minutes ago and it's a beautiful publication, well printed photos and lot's of illustrations to inspire us modellers, a must buy for "Beagle" fans.

I read the "In Aeroflot service" chapter and learned that in addition to the Il-20 variant Aeroflot also operated Il-20 trainers (Il-28U) and Il-28ZA weather reconnaissance aircraft, in fact SSSR (CCCP) -36589 whose side profile I posted above was an Il-28ZA.

Hi Rui

can I ask which book. I think I’ll get a copy for myself. 

On 6/5/2019 at 7:05 PM, Rui Silva said:

Searching for "Il-20 Aeroflot" I found this on the IPMS USA review of the book "Ilyushin Il-28" (which I will certainly buy for reference), now what is missing is a decal producer making the markings, Diego are you listening? ;)

Fundekals/Liveries Unlimited is doing them. I wasn't particularly interested in this kit before, I am now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wee Beastie said:

Hi Rui

can I ask which book. I think I’ll get a copy for myself. 

Hi Wee Beastie,

The book is Crecy's Publishing "Ilyushin Il-28" from the "Famous Russian Aircraft" series, published in 2015, not cheap at £34.95 but well worth the price.

BR,

Rui

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi Wee Beastie,

The book is Crecy's Publishing "Ilyushin Il-28" from the "Famous Russian Aircraft" series, published in 2015, not cheap at £34.95 but well worth the price.

BR,

Rui

Thank you Rui. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Fundekals/Liveries Unlimited is doing them. I wasn't particularly interested in this kit before, I am now!

Great to hear this :)

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

Hi all,

I've just read the "The Il-28 family" chapter of the Famous Russian Aircraft "Il-28"' book and according with the information it's quite strange that Bobcat chose to sell their Beagle as an Il-28T.

There were 5 conversions/variants of the Il-28 able to carry torpedos or rocket-torpedos:

#1 - Il-28T, AVMF (Soviet Naval Aviation) Il-28s with bomb bay internally changed to carry one RAT-52 or RAT-52M rocket propelled torpedo, unable to carry longer standard torpedos. Dinghy in bomb bay.

#2 - At least one Il-28 modified with enlarged bomb bay doors, able to carry 2 RAT-52 or one torpedo, canopy fairing lengthened to carry dinghy, ADF loop location changed. Too much drag.

#3 - One experimental Il-28T conversion with lenghtened bomb bay, wings moved aft 10 cm, wingtip tanks as Il-28R, pitot tube relocated, "angular" windshield.

#4 - One experimental IL-28T conversion, same as #3 but with revised navigator glazing and front starboard cannon deleted and port faired over, #3 later modified to the same standard. This version was approved for production but not produced due to problems with 45-56NT torpedo development and inability to carry 2 RAT-52 internally.

#5 - One Il-28 (22 Blue) converted to Il-28T (second version) with standard bomb bay but with external fuselage racks to carry torpedos, rocket torpedos or mines, modified navigator glazing with 2 flat optical panels (one above the other) for PTN-55 Som low-altitude torpedo bombing sight. Too much drag, performance degraded and external stores only could be used at external temperatures above 0ºC.

By what I gather from the kit reviews, one can only model version #1, why did Bobcat take the trouble to make the external racks for #5 without the modified navigator front glazing? And for just one experimental prototype?

Strangely the initial box-art was correct for an Il-28R, the second box-art version with external torpedos is incorrect for #3 (standard windshield) and even more incorrect for #4 (standard navigator glazing), not to mention the addition of the "standard" Il-28 wingtip pitot when for Il-28s able to carry wingtip tanks (i.e. Il-28R) the wingtip pitot had to be relocated, to where I am unable to find in the photos.

Bye for now!

• 3 weeks later...

I am afraid that the subject is too rare for eduard, looks on yak-28 from Bobcat. For P make brass but PP with glass nose  they were laughing. (Hb similar)

Maybe We have to bombard via email - they will see the demand and the market

• Like 3

Hi all,

I couldn't resist and one "Beagle" is inbound Portugal, will it get along with my wife's Great Dane? :)

For now it will be another kit to join the stash waiting for aftermarket goodies, come on capitalistic explorers of the modelling class, take my money!

Edited by Rui Silva
grammar
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi all,

I couldn't resist and one "Beagle" is inbound Portugal, will it get along my wife's Great Dane? :)

For now it will be another kit to join the stash waiting for aftermarket goodies, come on capitalistic explorers of the modelling class, take my money!

I'm currently trying to persuade myself that I don't need a second one!

I reckoned one (probably either Finnish or Polish) would be enough, but that Aeroflot one just looks brilliant.....

• Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 8:02 PM, Jurek Greinert said:

I am afraid that the subject is too rare for eduard, looks on yak-28 from Bobcat. For P make brass but PP with glass nose  they were laughing. (Hb similar)

Maybe We have to bombard via email - they will see the demand and the market

Maybe North Star Models or Metallic Details will oblige us..........they make some brilliant aftermarket sets for both 'popular' and more esoteric subjects so lets see...........I do think the IL-28 is a vastly more interesting subject to most than the Yak-28...Dont get me wrong......I have a couple of Brewers/Firebars in the stash but given its widespread use and wider employment in an interesting array of Post-War regional conflicts, the Beagle is likely to be a great sales success for Bobcat....I hope so since it looks very nice. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to opening up my Bobcat Il-28 Beagle this week (its been sitting here for a couple of weeks but I have only now got the time to study it properly). The plastic looks nice but a quick scan of the kit instructions had me puzzled.....talk about bizarre.

Stage 1&2 start off in the 'traditional' way with cockpit details (Bomb Aiming equipment and pilots seat) before you make a start on the wing tip tanks (?!) and undercarriage bays......then its time to start putting together the external weapons before returning to more internal detail.....Engines and nacelles are next, interspersed with more internal components. Stage 31 starts the main wing assembly process, interspersed (you guessed it) with more of the internal detail at 33-35 before returning to the wings !. Yes, the fuselage finally comes together towards the end and there are reasonable references as to where all of the internal component parts (that have been assembled along the way) fit. Maybe its just a very advanced and new way of delivering assembly instructions that would have you building internal cockpit and crew compartment components while you let the undercarriage bays and wings dry......Yes, that must be it !. 

Nevertheless, I think I will return to the more traditional form of assembly and try to navigate my way through all of the internal detail before attempting the wing/nacelle/undercarriage structures. You have been warned !. (Still looks good though).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

I finally got around to opening up my Bobcat Il-28 Beagle this week (its been sitting here for a couple of weeks but I have only now got the time to study it properly). The plastic looks nice but a quick scan of the kit instructions had me puzzled.....talk about bizarre.

Stage 1&2 start off in the 'traditional' way with cockpit details (Bomb Aiming equipment and pilots seat) before you make a start on the wing tip tanks (?!) and undercarriage bays......then its time to start putting together the external weapons before returning to more internal detail.....Engines and nacelles are next, interspersed with more internal components. Stage 31 starts the main wing assembly process, interspersed (you guessed it) with more of the internal detail at 33-35 before returning to the wings !. Yes, the fuselage finally comes together towards the end and there are reasonable references as to where all of the internal component parts (that have been assembled along the way) fit. Maybe its just a very advanced and new way of delivering assembly instructions that would have you building internal cockpit and crew compartment components while you let the undercarriage bays and wings dry......Yes, that must be it !. 

Nevertheless, I think I will return to the more traditional form of assembly and try to navigate my way through all of the internal detail before attempting the wing/nacelle/undercarriage structures. You have been warned !. (Still looks good though).

The instructions for their Yak 28 Firebar were similar ( I too opened my IL-28 this week).  All I would say is that you do need to check the instructions before deviating from the sequence. I didn't and then found I should have fitted the intakes/exhausts earlier in the sequence than I had chosen!  Cut open, re glue - you get the gist.....

1 hour ago, neilh said:

The instructions for their Yak 28 Firebar were similar ( I too opened my IL-28 this week).  All I would say is that you do need to check the instructions before deviating from the sequence. I didn't and then found I should have fitted the intakes/exhausts earlier in the sequence than I had chosen!  Cut open, re glue - you get the gist.....

Totally Agree with the assertion to be careful about deviating from the sequence but some of it makes no real sense and has little bearing on the overall assembly.......................wing tanks at Stage 3 (?) and interspersing the wing assembly with small cockpit assemblies/components......it is almost as if they arranged it so that they could fit a standard number of stages on each page, regardless of any logical sequencing of overall assembly !. 

• 2 months later...