1/48 - Yakovlev Yak-28P "Firebar" by Bobcat Hobby Model Kits (ex-Xuntong) - released - Miniworld air intakes

Homebee

Mind boggling!  I had no idea this was coming.  In recent weeks I've been thinking about this airplane, enough that I started searching the web and downloading scale drawings and photos with the idea that I might actually scratchbuild one in 48th.  Now this.  I just ordered one.  My next foil covered project.

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

I'm sure the aftermarket chaps will come up with some lovely enhancements for it in the near future, looks like a box full of fun......

What would you like to see?

(waiting to read some initial reviews before pulling the trigger}

On 17/01/2017 at 8:17 AM, sammy da fish said:

Ordered mine last night 16th Jan will let everybody know when I receive the kit in the post from lucky models. Can not wait, just wish I could finish some of my other models off first.

Could you also tell us what Customs & Excise make of it?  They should spot these coming through and I'm interested to know whether Luckymodel are going to be "helpful" or the Excise are looking the other way.

What would you like to see?

I totally agree regarding waiting for full reviews  however looking at the in box images and discussing the model with a couple of friends in Russia and another in Poland who have the model I would say seats,cockpit and undercarriage bay interiors are good candidates for enhancement. Of course it's down to personal preference, if they become available I'll use them if not I'll scratch-build.

It looks and sounds to be a very nice kit of a personal favourite of mine..

• Like 2

oh, bring out all the usual aftermarket candidates!

missiles, pylons, wheels, metal landing gear (maybe not necessariliy SAC) PE, Brassin- NEOMEGA-Aires cockpits to have a choice, resin grilles, engine nozzles  etc.....

be creative AM guys!

we are all? willing to add good products  to our models :)

• Like 1

Well, a 1/48th scale kit is wasted on me as I'm now committed to the gentleman's scale (or is it I should be committed?). At any rate, it does look nice and the more Soviet kits released, the better, whichever scale they come out in. I'm certain it's been said before but the Firebar to my eye definitely has a Gerry Anderson/Thunderbirds look to it. Very retro-futuristic. I suppose if Bobcat did something really crazy like come out with a 1/48th scale Tu-16, I might be tempted to return to that devilish scale.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Very, very slight correction. Very slight indeed.
  • Like 2

Ah yes, the Yellabelly thing POP. Great to see that they include both short and long noses, two types of fin, appropriate weapons load out, early and late pylon configurations as well as both styles of canopy......wonderful stuff but I can see that I'm going to have to order another one now !

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Ah yes, the Yellabelly thing POP. Great to see that they include both short and long noses, two types of fin, appropriate weapons load out, early and late pylon configurations as well as both styles of canopy......wonderful stuff but I can see that I'm going to have to order another one now !

The Imps are going remarkably well too.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
Typo, what else.

Firebar arrived this lunchtime from Luckymodel. Very nice looking kit.

Multifarious scoops require sink holes to be filled, but have scoopy fronts. Engine pods and interior parts look great, as does the fine detail on the wings etc.
Lovely clear canopy parts, with optional hoods.
The instructions are super, with a fold-out gate so as to maintain size of some assembly drawings. 

Still busy with the recent Foxbat but am looking forward to building the Firebar.

Tony

Hopefully of some help I use this site for all my Soviet Cold War needs.... has this superb 'walkaround/under' of a late production Firebar...

Yak-28P Firebar walkaround

And an interesting clip of Yak-28's including early firebars in action...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Ah yes, the Yellabelly thing POP.!

I grew up in  village called Branston which one could walks across a few fields to RAF Waddington. YT and mates used walk to Waddington airshows days in the late '60s until they were suspended to well into the '70s.In those days it was free admission on foot. I also used to walk into Lincoln with mates on a Saturday morning to go shopping with our pocket money to Hobbins models when the shop was Gowt's Bridge and Pete Richards model shop at the end of Wigford Way and Nobbs Models opposite Central Station. In the afternoon many a joyful afternoon was spent at Sincil Bank watching David Herds an the Lord God Graham Taylors Imps sweep all before them.

• Like 1

I look forward to seeing your build of this exotic-looking Soviet warbird, General! And speaking of which (nice segue), just yesterday I received my Amodel Be-10 Mallow. In its own way as exotic-looking as the Firebar, just not in quite so Thunderbirdish a way. Pity that this Firebar's in the Devil's own, as if it were in the one, true scale, I might give it a butchers. I strongly suspect that Amodel have kitted this in 1/72nd at some point (he says as he gets ready to search eBay for any reasonably-priced examples of same).

Yours etc.,

Jason

P.S. I have just completed my search, and see that there are available no less than four versions of the Yak-28 by Amodel in the gentleman's scale, some at quite reasonable prices. I didn't find the Firebar though, these Amodel kits being of the glass-nosed versions. Still, it may be time to start standing at the street corner again, methinks, pestering people for loose change.

Edited by Learstang
Addition of postscript.
  • Like 1

I grew up in  village called Branston which one could walks across a few fields to RAF Waddington

Branston's only a few miles away from us, know it well, same went for Hobbins one of of the best model shops around.....cycling up Cannock Hill to get to Waddo wasn't quite such a great memory... the wife just had to peddle that bit harder.

Ah Jason Amodel do indeed provide several siblings of this exotic looking beast, (why I myself have several including the Firebar secreted away within the family vault patiently awaiting their turn in the Six Year Plan). I fear I'm of the opposite persuasion (steady on there), being a firm stalwart of the scale for the visually impaired and owner of too many thumbs only fiddle around with the Lilliputian scale if I really, really have to.....which for most of the stuff I want to build I really, really have to.....so I for one am extremley chuffed to see a decent Yak-28 in the proper size.......now bring on a 1/48th Fiddler !