Rafale M in 1/72 - Heller + Syhart decals

Dassault Rafale M – 11F Aeronavale

Landivisiau, Brittany, 2015

1/72 Heller kit updated to current version – Syhart decals

This one started life as a 15 year old Heller kit. Thanks to the superb Syhart decal sheet No 72-915 ‘Rafale B/C/M Standard Markings’ I was able to rescribe and update the kit. This was a bigger task than expected (as usual!) and included the addition of all sensors, ECM, chaff/flare dispensers, etc. Pylons and drop tanks came from the Hobbyboss Rafale B kit which was on the workbench at the same time. I must admit I didn’t add ALL the stencils provided by Syhart – I could only take so much of minute grey stencils on grey camo – but they’re all there on the sheet if you have the inclination and patience.

Rafale%20M%206.jpg

Rafale%20M%207.jpg

Rafale%20M%201.jpg

Rafale%20M%202.jpg

Rafale%20M%209.jpg

Rafale%20M%208.jpg

Rafale%20M%205.jpg

Rafale%20M%203.jpg

• Like 17

I must admit I didn’t add ALL the stencils provided by Syhart – I could only take so much of minute grey stencils on grey camo –

lol

Very nice job though! As it happens I`ve bought Hobby Boss` Rafale M yesterday and then noticed your thread. :D What paint did you use for the fuselage?

lol

Very nice job though! As it happens I`ve bought Hobby Boss` Rafale M yesterday and then noticed your thread. :D What paint did you use for the fuselage?

I used Xtracolour X132 enamel FS16251 'Aggressor Medium Grey' which is pretty close to FS16231 Dark Gull Grey specified in the Syhart decal sheet for the M. I brushed some on a test piece to try some spare decals on it to check out the contrast between greys, and it looked just right compared with photos. However when I airbrushed it onto the model it dried quite a bit lighter! Still looks OK though. By the way, check out the fin on the Hobbyboss kit - I think the chord is a bit narrow. Also, the small sensors on each side of the fin ECM box are moulded in the same place port & starboard - the port sensor needs removing and repositioning much further back, above the rudder. Be careful about the fit of the air intakes which is not that good from the box. It's worth spending a bit of time fetling and fitting because you loose a lot of scribed detail if you have to fill and sand - as I just have on my Rafale B! Another thing to watch is fitting the main UC legs. They won't fit in the wells if you leave it until you've joined up the fuselage. They need to be fed through the fuselage openings and fitted to the top of the separate wheel bay before you attach the bay to the lower fuselage. You will see what I mean when you try it out!

Edited by CT Modeller
  • Like 2

Thank you for that detailed heads up regarding the Hobby Boss kit! :)Btw, I did a search to see if you`ve had a build thread for the Rafale B and noticed your JF-17. It looks awesome!

Very nice. I don't why, but this is the first time a Rafale M looked lively to me. Maybe something to do with the nicely made up nose gear. Great job at rescribing too and excellent photoraphy!