74 Sqn. RAF Phantom F-4J (UK) - FINISHED

Intakes and splitter plates on, nosecone on and seams filled and cleaned up, I'm not far off getting an initial primer coat on now and then it will be a check over to see what needs rescribing and tidying up.

I have also scratch built a couple of intake covers so that should take care of the lack of detail and the need to paint the inside of this area.

The two intake covers scrath built from some plasticard and micro-strip plastic.

CIMG3206_zps5pebiuyt.jpg

Then a test fit of the covers to the intakes.

CIMG3213_zpsbtwbrleu.jpg

CIMG3214_zpsnjllz7e5.jpg

Then a quick spray of gloss red - as you can see it is still wet. They should look OK in this scale.

CIMG3215_zpsjdo3vztc.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to get a coat of primer on this today in between the showers, I'm pleased with the wing join there was just a smear of PPP needed. A couple of areas still to clean up (cockpit vents and the heat shield area) and some bits of rescribing across the spine and I should be able to get some paint on it.

CIMG3250_zpsvhyzd244.jpg

CIMG3251_zpsiyili17q.jpg

I've forgotten to photograph the lower wing/fuse joins will take some later and edit the post.

Edited to include photo of underside 03/06/2015

CIMG3252_zpsvsivsfn5.jpg

A little remedial work to do underneath too, I've only just noticed the pinhole behind the nosecone..

• Like 5

One area of the kit that I felt that I could improve was the undercarriage retraction jacks. These are supplied on the etch fret and I thought that they would look better if I replaced them using some trusty Albion Alloys slide fit tubes (0.4/0.6/0.8). I had to cut countless small pieces of the 0.8 tube, not only to get the size right but because the darn things kept shooting across the cutting mat when I was trying to assemble them, so the carpet monster has been well and truly fed tonight. I have left them longer than needed so that I can trim them to the correct length and angle when I fit the undercarriage.

The undercarriage retraction jacks are near the tweezers on the etch fret.

CIMG3257_zpspq0icsuz.jpg

My replacement items, the main ones are on the left. They still have to be cut to the correct angle and length.

CIMG3256_zpspb83llnk.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Having regard to how small those things are, it's probably an overstatement to suggest the carpet monster has been well and truly fed. Appetizers perhaps.

Good work on the undercarriage, the brass tubes is a terrific idea.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated.

Rob

Maybe your right, I may have just whet the carpet monsters appetite for bigger pieces. Now where did I put that Sunderland? :lol:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The main airframe painting is almost finished, the undersides have had Light Aircraft Grey applied the fuselage and outer wings are painted Barley Grey and the inner wing area has had a first coat of Medium Sea Grey.

CIMG3310_zpswwmmcha6.jpg

CIMG3311_zpsplfyr1co.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good John. I can tell you're a more experienced airbrusher than I am; I just finished painting the Med Sea grey on mine, and practically had the entire thing masked up to protect form overspray. You just need a couple strips of tape.

• Like 2

Looking good John. I can tell you're a more experienced airbrusher than I am; I just finished painting the Med Sea grey on mine, and practically had the entire thing masked up to protect form overspray. You just need a couple strips of tape.

Thanks Cookie. I haven't broken the airbrush out on this build. I primed with a Humbrol rattle can and the rest has been brush painted, hence the two strips of masking tape.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Other than adding the black to the tail, there has been little progress made on this. Does anyone know what colour the radome should be on this scheme, it looks a different shade to the rest of the fuselage in most of the photos that I have found. I'm not sure if this is just due to different material surfaces, any advice would be appreciated.

So this is where I am up to at the moment.

CIMG3320_zps0f22egai.jpg

• Like 3

Does anyone know what colour the radome should be on this scheme, it looks a different shade to the rest of the fuselage in most of the photos that I have found. I'm not sure if this is just due to different material surfaces, any advice would be appreciated.

Radomes of the F-4J were painted in MSG / LAG or their US equivalents, and were unique in the RAF in being the only UK Phantoms with a dual coloured radome, with a horizontal division line, instead of monotone.

The radomes weathered rather differently from the rest of the airframe due to their different materials (fiberglass). Colors varied widely, some even went brownish.

It's best to go with specific references for the airframe you're building,at a specific timeframe.

HTH,

Andre

• Like 1

Thanks Tim, looking at the photo it seems that there is no need to be too particular about getting the demarcation line striaght - now where did I put that paint roller. :winkgrin:

• Like 2