74 Sqn. RAF Phantom F-4J (UK) - FINISHED

lol - defo looks like an RAF Friday afternoon job!!!

Good old Crab - Air - can never do anything straightforward :drink:

I have told you before Tim, us sensible chaps who check in, not dig in, don't work Friday afternoons

• Like 2

Added the decals on one side last night, I will hopefully get the other side done tonight. Then it's undercarriage and doors, aerials, fit the seats and finally the one job I'm not looking forward to - the vac-form canopy (yes, I'm a vac-form canopy virgin) :blush:. This might make it over the line yet guys.

CIMG3354_zpsydv8ab7r.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments chaps. Things are progressing slowly, but due to the arthritis flaring up I am having to limit the time spent modelling at the moment (1/144th is not the best scale to work in when this happens). I am due to have some treatment tomorrow and things generally settle pretty quickly after I have had that.

Progress so far

Most of the decals are on, the canopy has been trimmed and I have applied some black decal strip to help create the frames. I should be able to prime and paint some of the ancillary parts such as pylons, u/c doors and wheels later today and then It's just a matter of bringing it all together.

Still going for it.

This is going to be a tight run thing, hopefully I will complete it in time but it won't be too far off if it doesn't happen. It's mainly adding all the odds and sods and any bits of touch up etc - not much to do but some family functions have popped up so that will take away some modelling time. Anyway, lets see how things go

Here is where I have got up to at present,

CIMG3365_zpstwklrdwz.jpg

CIMG3364_zpsa74tcuon.jpg

and these are the parts that I still have to add. Not a lot but, with the exception of the undecarriage doors, I need to do something to each bit before I can add it.

CIMG3362_zps5yptekcj.jpg

Tick-tock, tick-tock.

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments guys, off out shortly but hoping to get some more time in when we get back. I have managed to get all the main bits on, just a couple of little details that I would like to add if I have time later. The main jobs when I get home will be painting the canopy with Barley Grey and a Satin clear coat. I was hoping to add a wash but I only have enamel washes and I don't think they will dry in time - still something to experiment with on the next build.

More later

• Like 1

Managed to post some photos in the gallery earlier. Got the painting and extra details finished when we got home so that wrapped everything up. Nice little kit to put together though the canopy on my boxing has some shape issues at the front in that it looks a little rounded over where it meets the fuselage. Making the retraction jacks from micro tubing was an improvement over the etch parts supplied.

Thanks to Sean and Mish for organising this group build and to all those who took part - whilst I haven't commented on every build it has been great fun to watch everyones progress.

Here are a few more photos of my finished model.

IMG_4121_zpswanngena.jpg

IMG_4122_zpslvwbczgh.jpg

IMG_4123_zpsoyqikx91.jpg

IMG_4124_zpstohfixjm.jpg

IMG_4126_zps9ph7to7b.jpg

IMG_4117_zpsfx3hjvtq.jpg

Thanks to all those who have dropped by and especially those who took the time to leave a comment. Until next time - Cheers.

• Like 5

Thanks chaps, now that I have had a look at it in the cold light of day the canopy is a little rough but not bad for a first attempt with a vac-form. It would also be impossible to fly because I have just noticed the control columns are still on the etch fret. :doh::wall: