74 Sqn. RAF Phantom F-4J (UK) - FINISHED

This is my entry for the group build, it's Whirlybirds 1/144 kit. I may be a little late starting as I still have to complete a couple of WW2 ground attack attack targets first, but I shouldn't be too late to the party.

So here is a shot of the box and the contents

CIMG3120_zpsztktbvvk.jpg

CIMG3133_zpspbdkztfl.jpg

and a close up of the decal sheet.

CIMG3123_zpsb1bzauw3.jpg

• Like 6

So thats purely resin?

What sort of glues do you use when building these?

Looks a challenge!

Yep Tim, apart from the etch, white metal undercarriage and the decals the rest is resin. As for glueing together, you can use 5 min Epoxy but I am going to use a Gap Filling Superglue to help with any filling that may be required. These also take a little longer to bond than thin superglue so will hopefully give me some time to check that the parts are aligned correctly.

We'll see how I get on, it could well go for an early flight in the garden and then it will be a quick search for something in a more traditional medium. :D

• Like 2

Also how do peeps highlight a post and put it in a new one to answer as per your post 3?!

Sorry -dumb Q I know!

It's not a dumb question at all bud. It's quite simple, by clicking one of the the two buttons at the bottom of the posting ie MultiQuote/Quote. Use the MultiQuote button if you want to reply to several posts at once and quote to respond to a single post.

With MultiQuote you can reply to each of the posts individually by replying after each of the posts or answer a group of them all at once.

HTH

• Like 1

It's not a dumb question at all bud. It's quite simple, by clicking one of the the two buttons at the bottom of the posting ie MultiQuote/Quote. Use the MultiQuote button if you want to reply to several posts at once and quote to respond to a single post.

With MultiQuote you can reply to each of the posts individually by replying after each of the posts or answer a group of them all at once.

HTH

Great stuff - this is the practice phase of EDIP - Explain, Demonstrate, Imitate and Practice! Thanks

• Like 1

Great stuff - this is the practice phase of EDIP - Explain, Demonstrate, Imitate and Practice! Thanks

Hey, it works! Thanks John and Tim (yes, I'm a bit slow when comes to all things internet).

I didn't realize your choice was resin until now John. Very cool. I'll definitely be picking up some pointers here (besides learning how to use the forum).

• Like 2

Made a start on this last night. First job was cleaning up the resin cockpit components and then I added the etch brass instrument panels and side consoles. I need to tidy the seats some more and then I can add the seat handles, some tape seatbelts and the remaining cockpit details such as rudder pedals and control column.

CIMG3142_zpsp3xmrgmc.jpg

After a clean up of the fuselage halves and the wings I gave them a trial fit and I am impressed by the fit of these, they go together really well. I need to give the parts a final tidy up but there are only a couple of areas that will need some filling and two little pin holes at the rear of the fuselage.

CIMG3144_zpsx6hyjqke.jpg

CIMG3145_zpsoawnlxxt.jpg

• Like 7

Over the last couple of days I have been working on the bang seats for this between other builds that I have going at the moment. Painted up and with some thin pieces of Tamiya tape for belts they don't look too bad, just one or two bits of touch up to do and a coat of matt varnish to seal the belts in place and they will be finished.

46490227-8a07-4466-bb0b-e6b72e01ddbd_zps

• Like 5

Did you ever have one of those days? You know the ones, those where you set out thinking just a bit of simple modelling, and really you should have left things in the box.

Today I decided that I would give the fuselage halves a bit more of a tidy, ready for adding the cockpit when I get the painting finished. I thought, a quick whiz over the seams with a sanding stick and 'jobs a good'un'. Then with my usual applomb for ham-fistedness I knocked one of the pitots off the tail, *@#! GREAT :wall: . So I decided to remove the other and fabricate a couple of new ones from some 0.3mm micro-tubing and 0.1mm NS wire, I was quite happy with the way they turned out, so then it was on with the seam tidy.

I was just putting the part back in the box and the little beggar jumped out of my hand and landed on the floor (I may have dropped it but I'm sticking with the story that it jumped your honour). Oh no, I thought, there goes a good hours worth of faffing about and after retrieving the part I was surprised to see my handiwork still intact, but wait a minute where has the fuel dump pipe gone, yep sure enough that had done a bunk too. :doh::boom: So it was out with more micro-tube and some plastic strip to repair that. Needless to say everything is packed away now and I will be away from the modelling area for the rest of today. Anyway here is todays progress, well, sort of.

The repaired/replaced pitot before the fuel dump debacle.

CIMG3196_zpsz69puqmi.jpg

The repaired fuel dump. I still need to fair in the fin leading edge and give it a general tidy up, but I thought it safer to put things away.

CIMG3198_zpsjr77n30a.jpg

• Like 4

Well, I've been able to get quite bit done on this since my last update. The cockpit tub has been completed and added to the fuselage, this was then glued together. I've added a small peice of resin to the fin and blended this in it just needs a final clean up to smooth everything out. I also glued in a small piece of aquarium plant weight just behind the cockpit tub before adding the wing, hopefully this will be enough to keep the model on its nosewheel.

Cockpit tub completed and added to fuselage.

CIMG3200_zpsvn0qb2m8.jpg

Fin after the addition of a small piece of resin and an initial clean up.

CIMG3201_zpsngkcmy06.jpg

One piece wing assembly added after inserting aquarium plant weight behind the cockpit.

CIMG3199_zpspajghrau.jpg

Finally a few shots of the front and rear wing joints

CIMG3203_zpshuinslwb.jpg

CIMG3202_zpsuwbj3tzz.jpg

CIMG3205_zpswtvpnbxu.jpg

CIMG3204_zpscaxm6eox.jpg

Next up is the addition of the splitter plates and intakes before checking the nose fit and cleaning the wing joins up.

• Like 6